Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Pressure washed my bike... is it really really bad?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Pressure washed my bike... is it really really bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-23, 08:53 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
It is important to recognize the NSK seals on those tests are not what most cyclist have. I know you know but it is worth saying that the seals have the majority of frictional losses followed by the grease. Consequently, many high end bikes have less effective seals and grease formulations that are not as effective against water intrusion. For example, NTN LLB have non contacting seals. Water will get in. These bearings are "only" $25 each and I doubt the bikes you have seen have had such bearings. And let's not even take about CeramicSpeed. The fact is, generalizing isn't easy to do. Blasting high pressure on the bearings and grease used on most my bikes would be damned foolish. My Mt bike and touring bike have very robust bearing seals and grease and would very, very likely not have an issue with my power washer. But really how hard it is to direct the water close to but not causing any potential ingress to the bearings. Thus, just don't be stupid with the spray. You'll be fine. If you have a grand of Ceramic Speed bearings, you shouldn't be washing your bike yourself anyways....
The NSK article compares deep grove seals to their “regular” seal. Even the regular seal stands up well to water intrusion over a 2 hour test. Only a small amount of water gets into the bearings despite a longer exposure than anyone…even unreasonable person…would use a power washer for.

An LLB bearing is for race applications and not necessarily what you would find on most bikes. Phil Wood, for example, sells two different kinds of bearing…standard and Carbonyte. The standard bearings “have full contact seals to ensure maximum durability.” The Cabonyte come with the following warning

Because the seals in our Carbonyte bearings are not full contact as would be found in our Standard bearings, we do not recommend them for year around mountain bikers or our round the world touring customers. Our Carbonyte bearing is for racing and fair weather riding.
Your comment on using a power washer are what I’ve been saying all along. Using one shouldn’t cause problems if you are smart about it. But using a power washer isn’t going to blast grease from the bearing the moment you get the wand within 400 feet of the bearing.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!