Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How to use Shimano EZ Fire 21-speed shifters?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-10, 07:22 AM
AceH

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Could someone point me to a website that tells how to shift using Shimano EZ Fire 21-speed shifters. I tested a bike with Grip shifters which I liked because it was simple but the bike I'm interested in has the EZ Fire shifters.

P.S. When I google Shimano EZ Fire 21-speed shifters what mostly comes up is where you can buy the shifter, I didn't see anything about instructions on using the shifter.
Old 05-21-10, 07:27 AM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
There is a lever on the top and one underneath. The top one pulls toward you, like a trigger to shift and the bottom one pushes away from you to shift.

If you're sitting still, they won't work; the derailers will move but they won't shift. Shift while riding down the street.
Old 05-21-10, 07:44 AM
coffeecake
Blocking your fire exits

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The right hand one the thumb shifter shifts you DOWN (to larger ring = lower gear). Index trigger shifts you up (smaller ring = higher gear). The left hand one shifts your front derailleur and is set up opposite. Thumb shifter shifts up to big ring, index finger shifter shifts down to small ring.

Oh, and just pedal lightly when you're shifting. One or two quick revolutions should do it. Don't shift under full bore. Your drivetrain will thank you. My SO is yelling "And don't forget to shift DOWN before you stop!!!"
Old 05-21-10, 11:26 AM
AceH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MMACH 5
The top one pulls toward you, like a trigger to shift and the bottom one pushes away from you to shift.
So the top and bottom levers regulate various gears example: top lever shifts gears 1-5 while bottom lever shifts gears 6-10. And right hand shifting operates the front cogs (big ones ) while the left hand shift operates the rear cogs (small ones)?

Please disregard this reply as I did not notice the previouse post by "coffeecake" until after I posted this.
Old 05-21-10, 11:38 AM
coffeecake
Blocking your fire exits

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, right hand is for rear cogs, left hand is for front cogs. Generally you shift the rear more often than the front, and most people are right-handed, so that's why it's set up that way.
Old 05-21-10, 12:57 PM
AceH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the opportunity to test a 7 speed grip shifter which was a no brainer so I really liked that. Plus it had gears 1 thru 7 listed right on the grip.

Would a 21 speed grip shifter also have ALL the gears listed on the BOTH grip shifts?
Old 05-21-10, 02:00 PM
coffeecake
Blocking your fire exits

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Usually they have an indicator of what gear you're in - 1-7 on the right hand, 1-3 on the right. Only really cheap and really expensive shifters (some Ultegra) don't have indicators of what gear you're in.
Old 05-21-10, 02:08 PM
DownTownie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This shifter is on my new 2010 Electra Townie 21D. I love it's simplicity, but get frustrated that the shifters function opposite of each other (ie. on the right shifter the upper lever is to upshift and the lower lever is to downshift - but on the left shifter the upper lever is to downshift and the lower lever is to upshift). I would have preferred the left to match the right.

It is very cool though, and the indicators will tell you what sprocket your on for each cog.

Just my $.02,
Jim
Old 05-21-10, 02:31 PM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
If there are numbers to indicate the gears, this is what you will find:
L - R
1 - 1 Easiest gear to pedal in or low gear. (Small front ring, large rear cog.)
2 - 4 Middle gear ratio. (Middle front ring, middle rear cog.)
3 - 7 Hardest gear to pedal or high gear. (Large front ring, small rear cog.)

In it's simplest terms, use your low gears when you're riding slowly and high gears once you are up to speed (to remember: low gears = low speed -- hi gears = hi speed).
However, unless you are doing some seriously technical riding, you will probably never even go to your easiest gear. Start out in 2 - 4 then progress to 2 - 5, then to 2 - 6.

As you get stronger, you might begin to just keep the left shifter at 3 and only drop to 2 when you're on a hill.

This may all sound like Greek, right now, but as you get used to using your gears, it will start to make sense.
Old 05-21-10, 02:56 PM
AceH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will occasionally need to climb a SMALL hill, what gears should be used for this?
Old 05-21-10, 03:05 PM
AndrewP

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The RH shifter will have closer ratios than the LH shifter. For normal riding leave the LH shifter in 2 and do all your shifting with the right hand. For a sudden change in gradient it may de easier to shift with the left hand as that is the same a several shifts with the right hand.
Old 05-21-10, 03:13 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by DownTownie
This shifter is on my new 2010 Electra Townie 21D. I love it's simplicity, but get frustrated that the shifters function opposite of each other (ie. on the right shifter the upper lever is to upshift and the lower lever is to downshift - but on the left shifter the upper lever is to downshift and the lower lever is to upshift). I would have preferred the left to match the right.

It is very cool though, and the indicators will tell you what sprocket your on for each cog.

Just my $.02,
Jim
Actually, they are both the same - clicking the shifters, in the same manner, moves the chain the same direction - toward the smaller sprocket, or toward the larger sprocket - in both instances....... start thinking in "sprockets" and all will be well.
Old 05-21-10, 03:33 PM
DownTownie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
Actually, they are both the same - clicking the shifters, in the same manner, moves the chain the same direction - toward the smaller sprocket, or toward the larger sprocket - in both instances....... start thinking in "sprockets" and all will be well.

Yes, but using a larger sprocket on the rear is gearing down, and using a larger sprocket on the front is gearing up.
Therein lies my conundrum.

Jim
Old 05-23-10, 05:01 AM
mtnroadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It takes a little more force to go up to a larger sprocket. This is why the thumb lever is used on both the front and rear sprockets when shifting to a larger sprocket. Just ride it for a while. It will become second nature in no time.
Old 05-23-10, 04:51 PM
DownTownie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnroadie
It takes a little more force to go up to a larger sprocket. This is why the thumb lever is used on both the front and rear sprockets when shifting to a larger sprocket. Just ride it for a while. It will become second nature in no time.
That's exactly what I assumed, after putting some thought into it. I spend more time going up and down the rear gears anyway. I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually. It's just kinda like when you get a new car and someone puts Reverse, down and to the right instead of, up and to the left where it has always been. Ugh.

Jim
Old 09-25-10, 12:08 AM
Ryan79

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
does anyone know is their a way to adjust the distance between the top lever and the lever underneath
Old 09-25-10, 12:50 AM
LongIslandTom
Señor Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan79
does anyone know is their a way to adjust the distance between the top lever and the lever underneath
No. All of the Shimano rapid-fire shifters I've seen and used have their index finger and thumb levers in fixed positions relative to each other.

You can adjust the entire shifter assembly's angle on the handlebar though, by changing the position of the clamp that fastens the shifter assembly to the handlebar (requires an allen key).
Old 03-15-15, 09:48 AM
justblues

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DownTownie

Jim
I think of it as a big circle passing through both shifters. Rotating the cicle clockwise (thumb on left, index on right).shifts up. Rotating the circle counter-clockwise (thumb on right, index on left) shifts down. Thinking like this, I have never had aproblem.
Old 01-05-24, 05:44 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,567 Times in 7,334 Posts
Originally Posted by lornaroa17
To use Shimano EZ Fire 21-speed shifters, simply grasp the right lever to shift to a higher gear and the left lever for a lower gear. Each click corresponds to a gear change. Practice in a safe environment to familiarize yourself with the smooth and efficient operation of these reliable shifters.
Obviously AI-generated.

Wonder what motivates this sort of thing.

Last edited by indyfabz; 01-05-24 at 05:49 AM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-05-24, 06:57 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Obviously AI-generated.

Wonder what motivates this sort of thing.
Probably same thing that motivated he/she/it to resurrect a 14 year old thread. Some peoples' kids!
Likes For Outrider1:
Old 01-05-24, 12:31 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,567 Times in 7,334 Posts
Originally Posted by Outrider1
Probably same thing that motivated he/she/it to resurrect a 14 year old thread. Some peoples' kids!
That’s what I meant. Why go through the process of creating an account and digging up an ancient thread just to post something useless that you didn’t even create? If it is a kid, it needs a life. Or could it be a bot?
Likes For indyfabz: