Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why I'm considering getting rid of my road bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-10, 09:57 AM
brianbeech
Typical Scum

Bikes: 2010 CAAD 9-5 | 2009 Giant Anthem X2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

https://www.fox41.com/Global/story.asp?S=13227155

Stories like these as well as hit and runs are becoming all too familiar. After having a MTB crash 3 weeks ago that almost left me paralyzed and having 2 rods, 12 screws and 7 broken ribs, I'm reassessing my desire to ride on the road with motorized vehicles. With the popularity of texting and driving, I'm looking at whether it's worth it to take the chance while trying to raise a toddler. Currently I can't pick up my daughter and am unable to play with her; I wonder how much worse the outcome would have been had a vehicle been involved.

My town really isn't that bad and I've never had an issue with drivers, but after a crash like I had involving a tree, I'm pondering one with a vehicle. I'm very defensive when road cycling, but there's only so much you can control. Anyone else been through this? I'm thinking maybe just ride in closed parks and organized rides and stick to off-road (MTB/CX) for the rest.
Old 11-10-10, 10:02 AM
Blackdays
Boom.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a risk to everything. You need to take a step back, and assess the situation.

However, getting hit by a car is something that is beyond your control. Believe me, I know how you feel. I was struck by a careless driver just a month ago, and I'm still not healthy enough to start riding seriously.

Regardless, being passionate about something, which also doubles up as exercise, is only going to prolong your life.
Old 11-10-10, 10:04 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
I never leave my apartment and have quit taking showers. Safety first!
Old 11-10-10, 10:06 AM
hao

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I never leave my apartment and have quit taking showers. Safety first!
Well, I think we can all agree that fear of getting struck by cars is a bit more legitimate.
I got hit by cars twice, fortunately very minor. I get freaked out reading "car vs. bike" news and sometimes I do worry about my safety.
But I'm not willing to give it up, so I do the best I can to avoid putting myself into dangerous situations. So if I did get hit, I would know that not only was it not my fault, there was nothing more I could have done to avoid it.

Last edited by hao; 11-10-10 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-10-10, 10:07 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

I can agree with that. My point was that curtailing reasonably safe activities because of news stories can be a slippery slope.
Old 11-10-10, 10:14 AM
hao

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
My point was that curtailing reasonably safe activities because of news stories can be a slippery slope.
Very true. My wife used to be scared of flying because of this.
Old 11-10-10, 10:15 AM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
don't watch the news.
Old 11-10-10, 10:18 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Just for fun I had to check for shower injury news stories, and this one's a doozy!
Lions maul man to death as he's showering.
Old 11-10-10, 10:18 AM
a_phat_beat
My grammar sucks.

Bikes: Merlin Extralight, Colnago Crystal, Serotta Club Special

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
considering the amount of people that ride bicycles, and the amount of accidents that happen, i think you're worrying over nothing. like grumpy said, the news tends to shed light on statistical anomalies. you shouldn't worry all that much. i live in NYC and if anything i have more of a reason to not ride than anyone considering my life is literally in danger ever time i swing a leg over my bike.

don't sweat it dude. really.
Old 11-10-10, 10:20 AM
a_phat_beat
My grammar sucks.

Bikes: Merlin Extralight, Colnago Crystal, Serotta Club Special

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brianbeech

Stories like these as well as hit and runs are becoming all too familiar. After having a MTB crash 3 weeks ago that almost left me paralyzed and having 2 rods, 12 screws and 7 broken ribs, I'm reassessing my desire to ride on the road with motorized vehicles. With the popularity of texting and driving, I'm looking at whether it's worth it to take the chance while trying to raise a toddler. Currently I can't pick up my daughter and am unable to play with her; I wonder how much worse the outcome would have been had a vehicle been involved.

My town really isn't that bad and I've never had an issue with drivers, but after a crash like I had involving a tree, I'm pondering one with a vehicle. I'm very defensive when road cycling, but there's only so much you can control. Anyone else been through this? I'm thinking maybe just ride in closed parks and organized rides and stick to off-road (MTB/CX) for the rest.
there's the problem right there.
Old 11-10-10, 10:24 AM
gitarzan
Lost Again

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1991 Sirrus, Specialized Secteur Elite, Miele Umbria Elite.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.
Old 11-10-10, 10:25 AM
Aurelius

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might as well stop taking baths too then 'cause there are a lot of slip and fall accidents in the tub. Stop eating grapes and hot dogs 'cause you might choke. Definitely no freeway driving. No swimming because drowning is only one mouthful away. No walking after dark as the muggers are out. Heck no walking at all, a plane or satelite may fall on your head. The odds of some or all of these are equal to or greater than getting hit by a car while cycling I would imagine......I'm just going to curl up in a ball in the basement.
Old 11-10-10, 10:26 AM
roadiejorge 
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
All you can do is ride safely and defensively, especially if you live in an urban area. There is a risk to everything as has been pointed out, but if you base your activities based on statistics then you would never drive a car again since you're at risk of having an accident more than you are of being hit by a car on a bike. I was hit recently and fortunately it was the bike that took the worst of it, but that hasn't stopped me from riding.
Old 11-10-10, 10:33 AM
ryfeender
Skeptical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wouldn't it be more fun to go out doing something you love than sitting on your ass rotting away at age 80? Do what you love, if it kills you somehow, thats a fantastic ending to life.

2 pennies

Oh that note, I can understand your knee jerk reaction to what has recently happened to you. I'm sure if I had that sort of disaster in the woods I would be a little( or a lot ) cautious as well. I hope you have a speedy recovery and find your riding zen again!! Good luck to you.
Old 11-10-10, 10:34 AM
HMF
SkinnyStrong

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In Austin we have white bikes ("Ghost Bikes") to mark where a cyclist was killed. Of the few that I've seen, it's easy to see how it happened; busy street, blind hill, hwy off-ramp, etc. Maybe that's the point? I try to avoid those kinds of scenarios whenever possible.

Occasionally I'll get buzzed, or smogged (I think I hate smogging worse; those jackasses!), but for the most part I can control how much risk I'm putting myself in by choosing the right roads.
Old 11-10-10, 10:35 AM
Blackdays
Boom.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ryfeender
Wouldn't it be more fun to go out doing something you love than sitting on your ass rotting away at age 80? Do what you love, if it kills you somehow, thats a fantastic ending to life.

2 pennies
Yeah, a great ending to life! He would only be leaving behind a widow and a new born child! Nothing wrong with that.
Old 11-10-10, 10:53 AM
Wesley36

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The point that people have tried to make is an important one- cycling is not a dangerous activity. For some facts, see this (pdf for download): www.nsc.org/news_resources/Documents/nscInjuryFacts2011_037.pdf.

Sedentary lifestyles are closely linked to the leading causes of death here. However, moving down the list, there is a 1 in 85 chance of dying in a motor vehicle accident, and a 1 in 272 risk of dying as the occupant of a vehicle. Accidental poisoning comes in at 1 in 139, falls 1 in 184. Being a pedestrian is safer, 1 in 623 chance of dying. Drowning in the bathtub in a valid scenario, there is a 1 in 1073 chance of drowning/ accidental submersion. Dying as a "pedalcyclist" has a 1 in 4147 chance of happening.

I will put this again in its own paragraph, just so it does not get lost. An American has a 1 in 4147 chance of dying as a "pedalcyclist", a 1 in 85 chance of dying in a motor vehicle accident, and a 1 in 272 risk of dying as an occupant of a motor vehicle. In other words, cycling is the safest way to get from one place to another, by a HUGE margin. And this is not including the fact that it reduces one's risks of dying of the main causes of mortality, which are linked to sedentary lifestyles.

Feeling vulnerable, and being vulnerable, are radically different things. Cycling is not a reckless decision that is likely to leave a widow and fatherless child- it is probably the best way to prevent that from happening. But sorry, reality means that there is nothing you can do to eliminate risk. And never leaving the house is not all that safe- lots of people die at home- accidental poisoning, falling, drowning- all a greater risk that cycling.
Old 11-10-10, 10:59 AM
Snapperhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wesley36
Cycling is not a reckless decision that is likely to leave a widow and fatherless child- it is probably the best way to prevent that from happening. But sorry, reality means that there is nothing you can do to eliminate risk. And never leaving the house is not all that safe- lots of people die at home- accidental poisoning, falling, drowning- all a greater risk that cycling.
Plus, many cyclists lead healthier lifestyles in general, which means they'll probably live longer lives as well.
Old 11-10-10, 11:00 AM
roadiejorge 
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Wesley36
The point that people have tried to make is an important one- cycling is not a dangerous activity. For some facts, see this (pdf for download): www.nsc.org/news_resources/Documents/nscInjuryFacts2011_037.pdf.

Sedentary lifestyles are closely linked to the leading causes of death here. However, moving down the list, there is a 1 in 85 chance of dying in a motor vehicle accident, and a 1 in 272 risk of dying as the occupant of a vehicle. Accidental poisoning comes in at 1 in 139, falls 1 in 184. Being a pedestrian is safer, 1 in 623 chance of dying. Drowning in the bathtub in a valid scenario, there is a 1 in 1073 chance of drowning/ accidental submersion. Dying as a "pedalcyclist" has a 1 in 4147 chance of happening.

I will put this again in its own paragraph, just so it does not get lost. An American has a 1 in 4147 chance of dying as a "pedalcyclist", a 1 in 85 chance of dying in a motor vehicle accident, and a 1 in 272 risk of dying as an occupant of a motor vehicle. In other words, cycling is the safest way to get from one place to another, by a HUGE margin. And this is not including the fact that it reduces one's risks of dying of the main causes of mortality, which are linked to sedentary lifestyles.

Feeling vulnerable, and being vulnerable, are radically different things. Cycling is not a reckless decision that is likely to leave a widow and fatherless child- it is probably the best way to prevent that from happening. But sorry, reality means that there is nothing you can do to eliminate risk. And never leaving the house is not all that safe- lots of people die at home- accidental poisoning, falling, drowning- all a greater risk that cycling.
+ a lot
Old 11-10-10, 11:08 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
I know of a guy that got into an accident and is now on a ventilator and in a coma. He was driving a car when he was hit.
Old 11-10-10, 11:11 AM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by brianbeech

Honestly, I don't think it's the news that scary, it's having the accident. The news just becomes a focus for the fear, and it doesn't help that dealing with the consequences of the accident just intensifies your awareness of how bad things could be, and reinforces the fear of the worst happening. But remember, the fear of something happening doesn't have any bearing at all on whether it will really happen or not. You can't control what happens TO you, only what you do about it.

IMO, you have to confront the feelings you're having, accept and understand them (and where they're coming from), and do what works for you to solve the problems you have. For some, that'd be to just HTFU and ride, for others it may to avoid it all together. Most will find some middle ground. Sometimes, you get to where you want to be by working it through on your own, or with the help of others, like friends or with a counselor.

Start slow and work towards where you want to be with your riding. It's YOUR life, they should be YOUR goals, and the solutions you come up with have to work for YOU, not anybody else.

Good luck in your recovery!
Old 11-10-10, 11:11 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Better to spend the last two seconds of life thinking OH CRUD!, than to spend your last two months smelling your own waste while struggling with cancer in a hospice ward.
Old 11-10-10, 11:16 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Traumatic experiences can be very debilitating, more so than the actual experience itself as it keeps you from doing the "normal" stuff. It is difficult for some to get back. I hope you can re-evaluate your situation.
Old 11-10-10, 11:18 AM
ryfeender
Skeptical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blackdays
Yeah, a great ending to life! He would only be leaving behind a widow and a new born child! Nothing wrong with that.
Yeah, Just focus on one part of my post. Nice work. Also, with your comment you are assuming that he is going to die because of cycling on the road. Isn't that a little grim?

Originally Posted by Blackdays
Regardless, being passionate about something, which also doubles up as exercise, is only going to prolong your life.
So, essentially you waffle more than a politician come election day.....

Originally Posted by calamarichris
Better to spend the last two seconds of life thinking OH CRUD!, than to spend your last two months smelling your own waste while struggling with cancer in a hospice ward.
+1 Absolutely.

Last edited by ryfeender; 11-10-10 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-10-10, 11:37 AM
hao

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've said it before, people take this **** way too seriously.
"ZOMG I'd rather get crushed by a car than to die on a hospital bed in my own waste!" Wow, what a rebel, big freaking whoop.
Don't get me wrong, I love cycling, but it's only one out of an infinite number of sports and hobbies. Would I hate giving it up, absolutely. Would my life cease to have meaning, absolutely not.

The dude has a wife and a new born, if he thinks that tiny possibility is still too much to risk, that's perfectly reasonable. And God forbid if he ever finds another form of exercise that he enjoys.

You are riding a freaking bicycle, get over yourselves.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.