Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Electronic devices for deterring dogs. Experiences?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-11, 09:12 AM
billallbritten

Bikes: Trek 7500 FX (2005)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Has anybody tried electronic ultrasonic dog repel devices such as this? https://www.resistattack.com/Animal-R...-Animal-Chaser Kinda cool sounding, has a laser sighting device but has rather poor reviews on Amazon

I've been bitten while riding (owner paid medical bills) but our local riding area seems to be overrun with chasing dogs this year; many more than usual. Several folks on our group rides have been knocked down.

I've carried and tried to use pepper spray while riding but the range is so short and the probability of getting it on me or another rider is so high I've quit using it. Water bottles work on one dog but we seem to be seeing more groups of not necessarily vicious dogs but ones that want to run around the bikes for fun. Swinging a frame pump while riding fast sounds good in practice but has unintended results I'll leave to the readers' imagination.

Not everybody in our slower groups can outsprint the creatures.

So, has anybody had luck with these things? Seems it may be effective against groups of dogs, too, if it works at all.

https://www.resistattack.com/Animal-R...-Animal-Chaser

I'm posting here as my commutes aren't in dog areas - many more options in terms of carrying a device on a commuter bike, too, than a road bike.

FWIW, I've considered bear repellent strength pepper spray as it has a range of 25 feet but it is so concentrated that it can cause airway constriction (can you say "strangulation") in non-bear sized targets, according to the label.

Thanks in advance, Bill

Posting from a little corner of hell(ish) temperatures. 115 is the "feels like" prediction today, actual around 100.

Last edited by billallbritten; 07-12-11 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-12-11, 09:16 AM
KillerBeagle
Rabid Member

Bikes: 2006 Trek 2100, 1973 Crescent Mark XX, 196x Peugeot PX-10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I looked in to these a few months ago, but after reading a long review by a mail delivery person indicating that the device was only effective on a single-digit percentage of dogs, decided against it. Sorry, I don't have the link, but if you do enough googling on their effectiveness you will probably see it.
Old 07-12-11, 09:22 AM
SactoDoug
eMail Sold to Spammers

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
When I was a mailman, I tried a couple of those electronic noise makers. They did not work at all. One even made my ears hurt when I used it. I guess I must be part dog.

If you want a noise maker, get an air horn. They actually do cause dogs to at least pause and will frighten a few away.

But keep in mind that noise makers only work on dogs that are protecting their area or playing. A dog that is out to do you serious harm will not be fazed by a noise maker. They also don't bark. They head right to you and bite.

One thing you can do if a dog is chasing you and trying to nip at your feet is swerve back and forth a little so the dog has to get past your rear tire to get to your legs. If you can, just sprint away. Dogs can't run at 25+ mph for very long. If you sprint for 50 yards then you will out run them.
Old 07-12-11, 09:36 AM
DC_United_Fan

Bikes: IRO SS / Trek 2.1 / Trek 5.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to have a real problem with dogs on one of my favorite training routes. Forget the electronic stuff and go old school. Get a squirt gun and fill it with straight ammonia from the dollar store cleaning section. A couple shots in the face and problem solved. Dogs can learn new tricks, and a face blast with ammonia seems to be an awesome teacher. The dogs on my route will now stand and bark their @ssses off, but they don't chase anymore.

The best one was a rough looking lab mix that weighed about 70 lbs and can really sprint. First time I hit him in the face with the ammonia, I heard one yelp, the watched him slam his own face on the road trying to rub the stuff off. Haven't had an issue with that dog since.

While I'm sure the PITA crowd won't be happy with this post, I say eff' them and eff' dog owners who don't control their animals. Come cycle in my shoes before you go off about the ethical treatment of animals.
Old 07-12-11, 11:36 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Some of our rando group uses loud whistles. They're not a 100% effective, but will stop a lot of dogs in their tracks.
Old 07-12-11, 11:49 AM
Agave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Toxic chemicals are best sprayed in the dogs owners eyes.

You can always just stop and gouge the dogs eyes out with a spoon too............
Old 07-12-11, 11:58 AM
billallbritten

Bikes: Trek 7500 FX (2005)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I'll pass on the noise makers. Funny thing, one of our regular group was riding solo about the time I was this morning and had really serious confrontation with a dog owner. I was on a different route and didn't see it. We don't have county leash laws, only municipal, in most cases in the Commonwealth of Kentucky.

Old 07-12-11, 01:33 PM
DC_United_Fan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Agave
You can always just stop and gouge the dogs eyes out with a spoon too............
I like this solution as well.
Old 07-12-11, 10:28 PM
oilman_15106

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most likely kind of heavy but a cattle prod comes to mind. Or maybe a stun gun?
Old 07-12-11, 10:52 PM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Milk Bones work pretty well.
Old 07-12-11, 11:01 PM
esldude

Bikes: 1981 Motobecane Mirage, 1987 Peugeot Tourmalet, EZ Racer recumbent, 1994 Trek Singletrack 930, 1999 Canndondale SuperV500SL, 2001 Gunnar Crosshairs , 2009 Gunnar Roadie.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like your out of the box thinking 55/Rad. On the other hand, would milkbones serve as positive reinforcement to encourage the dog to chase you vigorously in the future?
Old 07-12-11, 11:10 PM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by esldude
I like your out of the box thinking 55/Rad. On the other hand, would milkbones serve as positive reinforcement to encourage the dog to chase you vigorously in the future?
Absolutely. But at least he'll have a happy bark as he approaches.

I don't really carry Milk Bones. But I do love dogs.
Old 07-17-11, 09:26 AM
Rickochet
Flying & Biking Member

Bikes: TREK 2005 Navigator 200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love dogs too. But not the ones that come running with their head down and in that all too familiar attack position. That's when they get a dose of HALT to the eyes. So far I have been able to deter every dog that has embraced the thought of having my leg for a snack.

Old 07-17-11, 10:43 AM
matroskin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The best solution so far. I need to remember it

Originally Posted by DC_United_Fan
Get a squirt gun and fill it with straight ammonia from the dollar store cleaning section. A couple shots in the face and problem solved. Dogs can learn new tricks, and a face blast with ammonia seems to be an awesome teacher. The dogs on my route will now stand and bark their @ssses off, but they don't chase anymore.
Old 07-17-11, 11:15 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Originally Posted by billallbritten
I think I'll pass on the noise makers. Funny thing, one of our regular group was riding solo about the time I was this morning and had really serious confrontation with a dog owner. I was on a different route and didn't see it. We don't have county leash laws, only municipal, in most cases in the Commonwealth of Kentucky.
What happened? I am from Paducah, so not too far from you. I agree, the unleashed dogs in this area is ridiculous, the owners are too from what I have witnessed. I think I am going to have to try the ammonia in squirt guns on my route, I have one dog that I need to teach a lesson, and he is a mean one.
Old 07-17-11, 12:56 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Dogs are one thing, mountain lions are a different animal altogether.
Old 07-17-11, 01:58 PM
superflylondon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What kind of squirt guns are you folks using because all the guns I've ever seen leak like the titanic and I can't picture riding with ammonia running down my back from my jersey pocket!

With the worst of dogs I usually just stop quickly and put my bike bike between me and the dog and look for rocks at the side of the road to throw. Only had to do that once so far, and that dog has not chased since.
Old 07-17-11, 04:19 PM
iheartbenben

Bikes: Raleigh R600 105/DA, Specialized Allez Elite 105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 55/Rad
Milk Bones work pretty well.
Ha, I like this.

If it's some dog like horse, I've used RAID wasp nest spray and it's very effective, much better than pepper spray IMO. I had to use it on some bull mastiff like animal when running.
Old 07-17-11, 05:08 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DC_United_Fan
I used to have a real problem with dogs on one of my favorite training routes. Forget the electronic stuff and go old school. Get a squirt gun and fill it with straight ammonia from the dollar store cleaning section. A couple shots in the face and problem solved. Dogs can learn new tricks, and a face blast with ammonia seems to be an awesome teacher. The dogs on my route will now stand and bark their @ssses off, but they don't chase anymore.

The best one was a rough looking lab mix that weighed about 70 lbs and can really sprint. First time I hit him in the face with the ammonia, I heard one yelp, the watched him slam his own face on the road trying to rub the stuff off. Haven't had an issue with that dog since.

While I'm sure the PITA crowd won't be happy with this post, I say eff' them and eff' dog owners who don't control their animals. Come cycle in my shoes before you go off about the ethical treatment of animals.
I have come to admit, that though it may seem cruel, you are right on. It's not the dogs that anger me, it is the lazy, thoughtless owners that allow their dogs to be a threat. I own 2 large dogs, one would scare the crap out of a cyclist but I control him with an invisible fence. If people can't afford this option then a chain, fence, something.

Out riding I asked a county sheriff if injuring a dog while protecting self is a problem and he said no. If he is attacking you have a right to defend.
Old 07-17-11, 05:50 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Note that ammonia can do permanent harm, and the type of idiot owners that do not manage their animals won't change their behavior. They'll just keep putting other animals in situations that threaten people as well as animals. If you have an issue, call it in.

I've been in plenty of situations with large unsocialized dogs, and if you have time to locate something containing ammonia and actually hit the target, there's an excellent chance you weren't under attack. Even if you were, there were probably better options. Relying on ammonia is not a reliable way to protect yourself, and it sure as he'll won't be too effective if you have to deal with multiple dogs.
Old 07-17-11, 05:56 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,519 Times in 2,861 Posts
Originally Posted by SactoDoug
A dog that is out to do you serious harm will not be fazed by a noise maker. They also don't bark. They head right to you and bite.
+1
I was out running one day and suddenly heard "Yap...Yap...Yap...Yap...".
I turned around to see *two* dogs:
1. The little one doing the yapping.
2. The big one silently lunging as it sunk its teeth into my thigh.
Old 07-17-11, 06:03 PM
Spinz
TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ammoina in a water bottle really brings em down ----- hard. Lp
Old 07-17-11, 06:31 PM
DC_United_Fan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
Note that ammonia can do permanent harm, and the type of idiot owners that do not manage their animals won't change their behavior. They'll just keep putting other animals in situations that threaten people as well as animals. If you have an issue, call it in.

I've been in plenty of situations with large unsocialized dogs, and if you have time to locate something containing ammonia and actually hit the target, there's an excellent chance you weren't under attack. Even if you were, there were probably better options. Relying on ammonia is not a reliable way to protect yourself, and it sure as he'll won't be too effective if you have to deal with multiple dogs.
Yes I know it can do permanent harm. That's the point. If a dogs teeth get to me, or they bring me down on the bike they can cause me permanent harm. Given the choice, the dog's gotta' lose that one. I'm not one to needlessly harm animals, but if it's them or me, it WILL be me...sorry if that pisses you off. As a former runner, I DO know when I'm under attack and when a dog is just chasing for play. I've also delt with multiple dogs in packs of up to five, and yeah, the ammonia worked just fine. As always, your mileage may vary, but I know what mine is.
Old 07-17-11, 07:01 PM
uciflylow
Still on two wheels!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Bill

I'm in Tennessee, about 50 miles from ya. Eventhough TN has a state wide leash law people still let them run loose! I live in town and have an underground fence around my yard to keep my dogs out of the road. I also had some heated words with a neighbor about their do a few weeks ago, IN TOWN!
Having been bitten last year I don't fool around any more. I cary a NAA Mini .22 with rat shot. Very loud, very short range, and no danger of a stray bullet, and has NEVER failed to stop the attack imedatly! I also have no qualms about calling the law and filling a dangerous animal report.
I had used HALT spray on the dog that bit me 3 times before he bit me! I should have called the law long before the bite. Funny thing is that after paying my medical bills the guy still lets the dog run free from time to time!

I'm not advocating taking pot shots at every barking dog! Just for the ultimate STOP A DOG ATTACK from happening!
Old 07-17-11, 07:08 PM
dahut
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you have room for an extra bottle, do the ammonia thing with it.
But, I like the bottles used in labs or sometimes seen on the sidelines at sporting events - the ones with the long spout.
These have a straw that goes to the bottom of the bottle and squeezing it forces a jet of water out, while you hold the bottle vertical more like a gun. It also helps you differentiate your Dog Destroyer from your regular water bottles.

I, too, like dogs, and have four of them. I dont advocate cruelty and I know the dog is only an innocent reflection of its owner. But at high speed, I don't mind feeling bad for him at a distance.

Firecrackers work well to keep canines at bay, too, and tons of fun in the process. Sadly, they are a logistic nightmare to bring to bear.

Last edited by dahut; 07-17-11 at 07:16 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.