Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

In a cycling funk

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

In a cycling funk

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-12, 12:04 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In a cycling funk

I dont know why, but I am in a funk. Cycling isn't on the brain. I walk past my bike and I dont even say hello to her. Its like I want to say I want to ride, but its like the last thing on my mind right now. Maybe 2 kids, work, wife, lack of sleep and poor diet lately has caught up to me and I'm just wanting to be lazy.

How do you shake yourself from a funk like this!?
Old 02-19-12, 12:15 PM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
I force myself to go out for at least a short ride. I know going for a ride will make me feel better, and I need to overcome the laziness. The exercise helps one to handle the stresses. But you already know this. Occasionally I give in the the desire to be lazy for a day.

What I've been getting lazy with lately is my other pasttime, Photography. If I need to choose how my free time is spent riding the bike has to take precedence for health and emotional reasons. The photography site I participate in is getting used to seeing all my cycling themed shots in weekly challenges. It's what I'm out doing, so have the opportunity and interest to photograph.
Old 02-19-12, 12:17 PM
PinkBabyMonster

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been going through something similar; a bunch of school stuff to deal with, and practicing a ton for auditions are what I made myself put first. That combined with a several days of snow, and I just don't get around to riding. But now that the daylight hours are increasing again, I know I'll be able to have more time to ride. You'll get over it, some things just have to come before riding sometimes.
Old 02-19-12, 12:20 PM
cocchiarell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Give this a listen

There is a good part in there about how the energy to start something (activation energy) is higher than the energy to do it. He advocates tapping into our laziness by reducing the activation energy of tasks we want to do (or know we should do) and increasing the activation energy of tasks we don't
Old 02-19-12, 12:30 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bianchi10
Buy a different bike. They're not spouses.

I've also been riding a lot less, but that's mainly because I've been spending time with my wife. Thankfully, though -- and this is one reason I married her -- she knows how important fitness is to me, and she's cool with me getting out there for a few hours.
Old 02-19-12, 12:50 PM
rat fink
Iconoclast

Bikes: Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Sirrus (road)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try this: Take a shower, eat something, put on your kit, pull your bike out and get everything ready for a ride. If you do not want to go for a ride after that, then don't go that day, and try again the next day. I have to do this often, and it works just about every time.

It seems that sometimes that the hardest part is just getting ready.
Old 02-19-12, 12:53 PM
rat fink
Iconoclast

Bikes: Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Sirrus (road)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cocchiarell

There is a good part in there about how the energy to start something (activation energy) is higher than the energy to do it. He advocates tapping into our laziness by reducing the activation energy of tasks we want to do (or know we should do) and increasing the activation energy of tasks we don't
This bears repeating. Excellent concept.
Old 02-19-12, 12:56 PM
alpha_bravo
Mr. Sparkle

Bikes: 08 Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Try a new route, ride with a group, or sign up for a race. Nothing like forking over some cash to motivate you to take full advantage of your money. The group ride thing is a big deal. Having buddies to talk to really makes time tick away faster and provides you with some accountability.
Old 02-19-12, 01:14 PM
hhnngg1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I dont know why, but I am in a funk. Cycling isn't on the brain. I walk past my bike and I dont even say hello to her. Its like I want to say I want to ride, but its like the last thing on my mind right now. Maybe 2 kids, work, wife, lack of sleep and poor diet lately has caught up to me and I'm just wanting to be lazy.

It's partly spring/winter weather.

Experience a glorious CA or AZ day where it's 65F and sunny, and you'll be chomping at the bit to get back out there.
Old 02-19-12, 01:25 PM
todayilearned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It happens in every hobby. Take some time off and work on another hobby... realize it's garbage and you will be back in no time.
Old 02-19-12, 01:26 PM
roadrider63

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been down that road also. Just try to think about how you'll feel during/after the ride. The times I've had to force (not the best word) myself to go for a ride, by the time I'm halfway through the ride and when I finish I feel so much better.

Right now, my bike is sitting on a trainer and I"m just wishing I could get out on the roads more. Days are getting a bit longer now though, so maybe I'll be able to grab a few hour long rides during the week nights. Weekends have been my only ride time, so if weather doesn't cooperate, I'm out of luck for outside. Bad thing is that it has been a very mild winter overall. I just haven't had the chance to ride with family obligations, lack of a sitter, etc.

Right now my girls are getting ready for the annual Father/Daughter dance. Wouldn't pass that up for anything.
Old 02-19-12, 02:10 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yo Spiff
I force myself to go out for at least a short ride. I know going for a ride will make me feel better, and I need to overcome the laziness. The exercise helps one to handle the stresses. But you already know this. Occasionally I give in the the desire to be lazy for a day.

What I've been getting lazy with lately is my other pasttime, Photography. If I need to choose how my free time is spent riding the bike has to take precedence for health and emotional reasons. The photography site I participate in is getting used to seeing all my cycling themed shots in weekly challenges. It's what I'm out doing, so have the opportunity and interest to photograph.
I think this may be part of the issue for me. I have been a lot of research for my new SLR camera which has probably taken the focus away from cycling.

Anyone in the market for a great entry level camera package?

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/pho/2853810323.html
Old 02-19-12, 02:43 PM
tctdvm

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how 'bout something completely different, like 29.5 mph on 250 watts:

just sayin'. f' convention.
you might need to pack floss, though... bugs get stuck in the perma-grin.

T
Old 02-19-12, 05:10 PM
bluegoatwoods

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rat fink
Try this: Take a shower, eat something, put on your kit, pull your bike out and get everything ready for a ride. If you do not want to go for a ride after that, then don't go that day, and try again the next day. I have to do this often, and it works just about every time.

It seems that sometimes that the hardest part is just getting ready.

Good advice.
Old 02-19-12, 05:13 PM
Commodus

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I like to go climb a mountain. I like to climb, so that works for me. A tough day in the saddle like that just kinda 'recharges' me. It's the intervals and flat days that sometimes I find a bit draining.
Old 02-19-12, 05:51 PM
dnuzzomueller
Banned.

Bikes: something

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride high speed through traffic. That gets endorphines going.
Old 02-19-12, 05:57 PM
Lexi01

Bikes: Cannondale Supersix Hi-Mod / Scott Spark 930 / Scott Sportster 20 / Jamis Allegro 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't want this to ever happen to me...

I keep my relationship interesting by cheating on her from time to time (with the MTB)...
Old 02-19-12, 05:58 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6768 Post(s)
Liked 5,480 Times in 3,224 Posts

Try running. That will make riding look like fun.
Old 02-19-12, 06:03 PM
GDA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Call up a friend and go for a ride with them... the comraderie of a casual ride with a good friend will leave you remembering your last ride as a good one. That is always great incentive to have when it comes to getting the juices going for the next one.
Old 02-19-12, 06:21 PM
rmr1923

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i went through a similar funk over the winter, finally shook out of it after the holidays. i'd been putting off some basic bike maintenance, so one weekend i decided to break the bike down, clean it real good, oil everything up, tuned it up, etc.

probably spent a couple hours, at least, just tinkering with it, and that alone gave me the motivation to at least take it out for a test ride that next morning. i've been going strong ever since, i've gained back my fitness from last year and then some. the wife and i are also on a "team" for Walk Across Texas (not by choice, her boss signed us up on her team cause she knew we ride quite a bit), and we were told we can log our cycling miles, so that's given both of us some motivation to help our team beat some of the others at her workplace.
Old 02-19-12, 06:25 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Give this a listen

Energy of Activation. You need a catalyst to lower it. Like a new bike. Or a new jersey. (cheaper)
Old 02-19-12, 06:42 PM
JustinHorne

Liked 18 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tctdvm
how 'bout something completely different, like 29.5 mph on 250 watts:

just sayin'. f' convention.
you might need to pack floss, though... bugs get stuck in the perma-grin.

T
That looks like AMAZING fun.
Old 02-19-12, 07:24 PM
Beaker
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I rely on getting out before sunrise during the week to get miles in. Often times when the alarm goes off at 5, I look at my kit and think "can I really be arsed with this?". However 99 times out of 100, although I'm still slightly grumbly as I get my stuff together, within 10mins of starting my ride, the grumpiness fades and I start to think "hmmm, not so bad. Good job I ignored that lazy vibe earlier". Of course, riding when the sun comes up, especially if you're climbing, is a huge payoff. Nothing beats watching the sun come up when riding your bike.

Anyway, if you really don't want to ride, then don't ride. If you're just slightly tetchy, then tell yourself to HTFU and get riding. Finding a group or friend is a great suggestion, as it introduced a commitment to ride. Even if you don't want to, others are expecting you to show.
Old 02-19-12, 07:59 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I try to do much the same thing. Like in the summer I come home from work and change into my bibs, not something else expecting to change into bibs after dinner. Then when dinner is done throw on a jersey and the kit is ready to go. If I have to go upstairs, change again, blah blah it's easier to bail.

Kids think it's a hoot when I cook dinner in kit though
Old 02-19-12, 10:42 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GDA
Call up a friend and go for a ride with them... the comraderie of a casual ride with a good friend will leave you remembering your last ride as a good one. That is always great incentive to have when it comes to getting the juices going for the next one.
thats the problem. my riding buddies have all changed their availability. One now has a GF and getting him available for a Saturday/sunday morning/afternoon or evening ride is pointless now. My other buddy started his own trucking business and now works out of town 5 days a week, so come weekends his family wants him home every second (Which I can understand), another friend moved about 50 miles away which we can still get together but it is difficult. I'm not gonna drive 50 miles just to ride with him and I'm sure its not the easiest thing for him to make time just to come down and visit with me as well for a ride.

Everyone I usually ride with seems to be totally unavailable now. I can always find new people to ride with, but I enjoy riding with these guys. we know eachother, we trust eachother and know what to expect from one another. I HATE....HATE riding solo. I dont ride as hard and I find myself giving up much easier. riding with my friends, I have someone to compete with and who better to compete with than your good friends to rub it in their face later on. I think once spring comes around i will have some longer days of light available and not feel so rushed to go on some weekday rides.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.