Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I'm absolutely aghast!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I'm absolutely aghast!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-12, 08:13 PM
cranky old dude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm absolutely aghast!!

This has me so excited!

Though it's been a tough cycling year mileage wise I've still done my best to try to ride often. Even so, with all the great weather we've had I only have logged 2100 miles for the year. Groan.

My reason for complaining about low miles for the year is to emphasize that I have not been out getting into great cycling condition. In fact I have actually taken three long breaks from cycling so far this year and have only been back on the bikes for a couple of weeks from my most recent layoff.

Why is it then that I now am finding myself flying up hills at speeds that up until recently have been mere pipe dreams? I'm older. I'm using the same equipment. I'm not as fit as I've been in recent years. This simply should not be. I'm actually powering my Long Wheelbase recumbent past Diamond Frame cyclists on the up-hills, repeatedly. Recumbents can't climb!

It can only be one thing....my weight. After riding for several years as a 220 pounder I've dropped down through this season to a current weight of 180 pounds. The 40 pound weight reduction has had a very positive influence on my climbing capabilities.

I can't wait untill I hit my 160's. This cycling thing is starting to be a lot of fun!!
Old 08-18-12, 09:40 PM
Closed Office

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bicycled 9 miles including up a hill with 70 pounds in a backpack. It gave me a totally new respect for one of the girls at work who weighs over 300 pounds. That is a bag or 2 of cement more than I was carrying.

Just walking to lunch a couple of blocks away must be a bit of a workout for her. Since you were bicycling with your extra weight, it must have contributed to your strength. Must be a nice feeling now and if you can just keep powering past them you can probably keep up the strength while losing more weight.
Old 08-18-12, 09:46 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
And just wait until you get to 80 pounds. TdF - here you come - if they only allow bents!

Anyway, good on the weight loss - how did you do this?
Old 08-19-12, 05:35 AM
Stealthammer
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A 40lb loss of weight is magical, and I am sure it will inspire you to ride even more, and that last 20lbs will even be more magical. Stop being so cranky, you are an inspiration to others!

Last edited by Stealthammer; 08-19-12 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-19-12, 06:27 AM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Super job. Hopefully you'll get to ride more. The weight loss must feel fantastic...if you manage the additional 20 lbs, you'll feel even better. I've lost a lot, I mean a lot, of weight, and even when I had lost only a 1/3 of the total loss, I felt much, much better. Big thumbs up for you!
Old 08-19-12, 06:47 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Great to hear things are going better for you Lenny. That weight loss is something to be proud of.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 08-19-12 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-19-12, 07:29 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
It would be cool to be lighter. But then I'd have to give up my trips to DQ. The pleasure of dusting roadies uphill vs DQ? Let me think on it awhile.

Old 08-19-12, 08:05 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Cranky, just to test your theory, strap a 40 pound bag of water softener salt onto your bike somehow and see if that takes you back to your previous performance level. Have fun!
Old 08-19-12, 10:45 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Now that you're riding up grades, you're welcome to join my ride partner John and I for our Saturday morning hill training.

In preparation for the Highlander on September 8, on the next two Saturdays at 9am, we're getting in some hill work on the hills along the Rochester-Brighton border. Yesterday we were up to three repeats, gunning for four next week, although you're welcome to wait for us if you want to do fewer.

Starting from my place near Towner's, we do Rich's Dugway in Ellison Park, Cobbs Hill Dr, Cobbs Hill Reservoir, traverse the north side of Pinnacle Hill on Pinnacle Rd, Crosman Ter and Field St, do Summit Dr and Howard Ave on Pinnacle Hill, then hit Highland Park going up Pinetum Dr, down Doctors Dr, up Alpine St, then down Robinson. Then we mess around on the hills in the northern section of Mt Hope Cemetery before turning around and doing it all again in the other direction.

Recovery Ovaltine in fat-free milk is served at my place.

If you ask nice, I'm sure John will ride his bent instead of his DF.
Old 08-20-12, 03:58 AM
cranky old dude

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox

Anyway, good on the weight loss - how did you do this?
A minor adjustment in food choice and a major adjustment in portion control.

Originally Posted by JanMM
Cranky, just to test your theory, strap a 40 pound bag of water softener salt onto your bike somehow and see if that takes you back to your previous performance level. Have fun!
He he, or I could just drop my panniers and loose about 25 pounds of tools, spare parts, and commuting/touring supplies for yet another burst of speed.

Originally Posted by tsl
Now that you're riding up grades, you're welcome to join my ride partner John and I for our Saturday morning hill training.

In preparation for the Highlander on September 8, on the next two Saturdays at 9am, we're getting in some hill work on the hills along the Rochester-Brighton border. Yesterday we were up to three repeats, gunning for four next week, although you're welcome to wait for us if you want to do fewer.

Starting from my place near Towner's, we do Rich's Dugway in Ellison Park, Cobbs Hill Dr, Cobbs Hill Reservoir, traverse the north side of Pinnacle Hill on Pinnacle Rd, Crosman Ter and Field St, do Summit Dr and Howard Ave on Pinnacle Hill, then hit Highland Park going up Pinetum Dr, down Doctors Dr, up Alpine St, then down Robinson. Then we mess around on the hills in the northern section of Mt Hope Cemetery before turning around and doing it all again in the other direction.

Recovery Ovaltine in fat-free milk is served at my place.

If you ask nice, I'm sure John will ride his bent instead of his DF.
I might just take you up on that invitation.

I was day-dreaming the other day about taking my aluminum Schwinn 354's off the garage wall when I get down to the low 160's. One is set up for speed and the other is geared more for touring. I am kinda-sorta wondering which bike will be faster under me, one of the 354's or the Tour Easy.
Old 08-20-12, 04:51 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I can't imagine anyone in Rochester getting in 2,000 mi. Here in CT where the weather is "tropical" by comparison I've been doing 100 mi. a week and still haven't hit 1500 mi.
Old 08-20-12, 05:34 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
After you get down to the 160s, you can trade that heavy bent for a 16 lb carbon fiber road bike and really fly up those hills!
Old 08-20-12, 06:44 AM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
+1 on better food choice and portion control like Cranky, but remember the exercise part as well.
Old 08-20-12, 07:32 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
I might just take you up on that invitation.
Please do. It wasn't just an Internet throwaway. PM me for the exact address.
Old 08-20-12, 08:07 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
There is no doubt about it your losing 40 pounds make all the difference in the world. After I lost just 25 pounds I could tell the difference on hills too.
Old 08-20-12, 08:46 AM
snavebob

Bikes: Specialized Tricross SportCannondale Road Warrior 500, Trek 7300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations on dropping 40 pounds. I am down 72 since the beginning of the year. What a difference it made a couple of weeks ago riding the loop road of Acadia National Park.
Old 08-20-12, 01:51 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Next thing you'll be calculating your watts per kilogram, vertical ascent rate and all that other stuff that fast folks are obsessed with.
Old 08-20-12, 03:03 PM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on the weight loss. On the same kick myself, now off bp med after losing just 15 pounds. 5 to go. Combo of cycling and change of eating habits.

The lbs wench, wrench, whatever, lost nearly 100 pounds after he started commuting 30 rt miles daily to work.

Last edited by Cyclebum; 08-20-12 at 07:59 PM. Reason: gcpmsame's sharp eye
Old 08-20-12, 05:22 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclebum
The lbs wench lost nearly 100 pounds after he started commuting 30 rt miles daily to work.
Her weight loss make you jealous of her? Seems harsh, dude

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 08-20-12, 08:00 PM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts