Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

Advice on touring south of the Olympics

Search
Notices
Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-10, 05:10 PM
dsmyers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm thinking of a 4-day tour starting Thursday, beginning in Bremerton and heading SW to the coast before turning south and looping back to Centralia (and then back to Seattle by Amtrak). I put the route in MapMyRide at https://www.mapmyride.com/route/us/wa...27354357512702.

I'm not too sure about the part south of the Olympics, though -- it looks like it's a lot of uninteresting clear-cut on Google Street View. Does anyone have experience in this area, or suggestions for a different route?

Thanks,
Daniel
Old 05-11-10, 09:53 PM
FlowerBlossom
My tank takes chocolate.

Bikes: Trek 600 series touring bike, Trek 800 hybrid, Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have anything to add about the route unless you wanted to swing through Olympia.

However, I want to point out that you need to check with Amtrack that you'll be able to put your bike on the train in Centralia. Amtrak won't let you do it if there's not a person at the station to load your bike. I know that there's no one at the Olympia/Lacey station, not sure about Centralia. Be careful with the on-line reservations, it'll let you buy a ticket for almost anything.
Old 05-12-10, 11:20 AM
adventurepdx

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 51 Posts
However, I want to point out that you need to check with Amtrack that you'll be able to put your bike on the train in Centralia. Amtrak won't let you do it if there's not a person at the station to load your bike. I know that there's no one at the Olympia/Lacey station, not sure about Centralia.
If you're taking an Amtrak Cascades train, it doesn't matter if the station's staffed and/or has baggage service. You'll be able to get a bike on or off the train. I've gotten on and off at Olympia-Lacey and Bellingham, both stations are sans baggage service, and had no problem. Either the conductor or another on board service person will open the baggage door for you. You'll still have to buy the bike spot in advance ($5 per train) to guarantee getting on.

Note that this works only for the Cascades service, the trains that have "500" numbers (501, 513, etc). The Coast Starlight (trains 11/14) doesn't have special bike service, you'd need to box the bike and use a station with baggage service (which Centralia DOES have).