Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles for Summer Olympics?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-15, 07:01 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 68 Posts

Can we actually make a profit like we did for the 1984 Summer Games?
Old 08-08-15, 12:31 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Of course
Old 08-08-15, 06:57 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1864 Post(s)
Liked 1,523 Times in 1,037 Posts
It’s a good possibility it could be done economically if theIOC wasn’t concerned about premium facilities. One problem I see is where are they going to hold the track and fieldcompetition? The L.A. Coluseum’s trackwas removed years ago when its field was ‘dropped’ to allow more seating for football (and bring the fans closer tothe action). Track and field is not that popular of a spectatorsport anymore, so would it be justified to spend the $$$ to build/reconfigure astadium for 50k-70k people for a one-time-only sporting event? You can probably think of other sports this would apply to, too.
Old 08-10-15, 10:44 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think in 1984 it was easy to make a profit... times were different. The City, County, So Cal Infrastructure was not in great shape but OK; now its a mess. I worked a number of the events. I remember that the City cleaned up its streets... in otherwords, it moved the homeless out and made alot of physical repairs. Now there is no way to move the homeless (who are everywhere) or make repairs (just think of the potholes!) will costs billions no one has. Unless the City can locate a generous private contributor, won't work. I hope the City is not stupid enough to push for this... no one will benefit except maybe a few politicians and wealthy landowners hoping to cash in on the influx of cash by the City/County. Orange County is also not the same... tons of high density construction have ruined the landscrape so there's no relief moving events down South. Even where the Criterium was held in 1984 (Mission Viejo) is now so overcrowded, will be difficult to stage an event at an existing venue.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 08-10-15, 01:44 PM
Garfield Cat

Speaking of homeless. I was just at SART this past weekend. From the Sea to Katella. I haven't been there for a couple of years and it was astonishing when I saw the encampments going inland. On my right in Santa Ana, the tents. Then under the freeway underpasses lots more.

I recall the Katella underpass, the police would routinely remove the homeless out. But now, it looks like the encampment is bigger than ever.
Old 08-10-15, 01:52 PM
RISKDR1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
The shooting sports are a big part of the games and last time LA county would not allow the building of shooting facilities so they had to be built in San Bernardino county. Those facilities are now under control of other users and I doubt San Bernardino County would be sympathetic to Los Angeles. For that reason I think Los Angeles would have a hard time getting the games. No need for anyone to turn this into a rant about firearms. They are a part of the summer games. Period.
Old 08-10-15, 01:57 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
Who is this "WE"? They have bid out the Olympics years ahead already, 2 cycles at least, thats 8 years.

Jack up the Ticket prices and the TV coverage Rights Bidding and most events will make money

just ignore the bonded debt costs pushed off onto the Taxpayers, they are not important 'Players'

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-10-15 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-11-15, 06:09 AM
Garfield Cat

The Mayor of L.A. wants to be governor or President. Does he really want to venture into the unknown?
Old 08-11-15, 06:25 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Who is this "WE"? They have bid out the Olympics years ahead already, 2 cycles at least, thats 8 years.

Jack up the Ticket prices and the TV coverage Rights Bidding and most events will make money

just ignore the bonded debt costs pushed off onto the Taxpayers, they are not important 'Players'
Tell that to Brazil and it's FIFA games.
Old 08-11-15, 10:09 AM
Garfield Cat

Los Angeles Times 6 billion cost

L.A. pushes to be U.S. candidate for 2024 Summer Olympics, projects $4-billion cost - LA Times