Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Tapatalk Plug-in

Old 05-30-12, 09:21 AM
sifrk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just came upon the Bike Forums Android app on Play, and from the screenshots it looks like there are advertisements even though it's a paid app? Am I right or do I need to up my prescription on my glasses?
Old 05-30-12, 10:12 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by sifrk
I just came upon the Bike Forums Android app on Play, and from the screenshots it looks like there are advertisements even though it's a paid app? Am I right or do I need to up my prescription on my glasses?
If you have Titanium membership you won't have the ads. (Or the older Red Star.....no longer offered). The ads exemption only applies to premium memberships.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 05-30-12, 10:17 PM
sifrk

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow!!! Really!?!?!? So I have to pay for membership and buy an app to get rid of the ads? I'm all for supporting sites that bring value to their users but this seems a little dubious. It's not even the money -- $2 is nothing and a membership might be worth its weight in gold if you leverage it properly, but to force users to jump through multiple hoops especially when you're already making advertising revenue is a bit much.
Old 05-31-12, 09:51 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Originally Posted by sifrk
Wow!!! Really!?!?!? So I have to pay for membership and buy an app to get rid of the ads? I'm all for supporting sites that bring value to their users but this seems a little dubious. It's not even the money -- $2 is nothing and a membership might be worth its weight in gold if you leverage it properly, but to force users to jump through multiple hoops especially when you're already making advertising revenue is a bit much.
You aren't being forced to buy the apps, though. The premium membership doesn't actually cover the loss of revenue for the ads, either. It's not a wash, or a profit, by any standard. The ads going away is a convenience for the members who opt for premium levels, and the apps were developed because of a very large number of requests for it.

Old 05-31-12, 12:10 PM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
You aren't being forced to buy the apps, though. The premium membership doesn't actually cover the loss of revenue for the ads, either. It's not a wash, or a profit, by any standard. The ads going away is a convenience for the members who opt for premium levels, and the apps were developed because of a very large number of requests for it.
Requests maybe, but with less than 50 downloads for the Android app it's pretty clear that people aren't going to pay for an app to access a site where they create the content.

BTW, did you ever get a response regarding the crazy permissions the Android app requests?
Old 05-31-12, 01:21 PM
Tom Stormcrowe

Originally Posted by Ziemas
Requests maybe, but with less than 50 downloads for the Android app it's pretty clear that people aren't going to pay for an app to access a site where they create the content.

BTW, did you ever get a response regarding the crazy permissions the Android app requests?

It's for ease of uploading, and not able to be activated other than by the user.

Old 11-30-12, 11:14 AM
Cowboy905
total Newbie

Bikes: 2009 Look 566 Ultegra

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
throwing my hat in here, would LOVE to see BF on Tapatalk.
Old 11-30-12, 07:21 PM
Tom Stormcrowe

We are not going to install tapatalk.