Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

New Tony Hawk Huckjam bikes any good?

Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

Old 01-19-08, 08:53 PM
ausher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

how are they? built good or not? seen a couple at wal mart and might get one for my son. i may mess around on it too.
Old 01-19-08, 09:36 PM
KinetikBiker
Dig.

Bikes: FTW, Gunnar Roadie, Open U.P, Gunnar Rock Hound, S&M CCR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh my goodness.

No.
Old 01-19-08, 10:28 PM
wds178

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No.
I'd rather ride a Huffy.

I mean that.
-Bill
Old 01-19-08, 10:40 PM
DirtMO*SHette
DirtRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hell no, buy something from: dk, premium, kink, stolen, subrosa, colony, fit, hoffman, integral, we the people, theres a bunch more.
Old 01-20-08, 12:37 AM
fuzzbox
Your imaginary friend.

Bikes: A sweet Quamen ATL custom, GT Mach 2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tony Hawk can't even ride a bike.

Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around.
Old 01-20-08, 01:18 AM
castanagajt

Bikes: 2017 Gary Turner G2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://sports.webshots.com/photo/286...80637499XqpHgQ

Honestly, I can't say if his product is good or bad. Right now it looks good, yet those bikes on the images are from the 2007 interbike show where they have to show off their best. Only time can tell. To keep things cheap I am sure there wont be doubled walled rims, sealed wheel and crank set and for sure no fsa headset like in the pictures and cheaper pedals than the ones are shown. These will be atleast 150 and up.
Old 01-20-08, 05:23 PM
FitRider 921
I rule with a mighty leg

Bikes: Fit Pro custom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lot of people said they were the worst things to ever appear at Interbike...
Old 01-21-08, 06:29 PM
DirtMO*SHette
DirtRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
first off, tony hawks name is on it, he skateboards, and bmxers and skateboarders dont get along very well
and 2nd of all, those are junky pos's. its like buying a walmart bike
pm me if you want something nice, i bmx'ed for about 5years
Old 01-21-08, 08:39 PM
wethepeople
Long haired freak.

Bikes: 2011 SE Old Man Flyer.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last I checked I ride with more skaters than BMXers, we get along quite well most of the time.

"the bus came by and I got on, that's when it all began...there was Cowboy Neal at the wheel of a bus to never-ever land."

Old 01-21-08, 09:54 PM
fuzzbox
Your imaginary friend.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ Yeah I was gonna say speak for yourself Dirt.

Old 01-21-08, 10:59 PM
live4muzic2
BMX Veteran

Bikes: gt mirraco redline torker2 magna mini

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
half and half with skaters and bikers rivalry.
Old 01-21-08, 11:42 PM
wethepeople
Long haired freak.

Bikes: 2011 SE Old Man Flyer.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not even that.

"the bus came by and I got on, that's when it all began...there was Cowboy Neal at the wheel of a bus to never-ever land."

Old 01-22-08, 11:00 AM
KinetikBiker
Dig.

Bikes: FTW, Gunnar Roadie, Open U.P, Gunnar Rock Hound, S&M CCR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not even going to get started on my feelings towards the bikes, but as for skateboarders and bike riders not getting along, that's a big load of bull.

I ride with skaters of both types all the time at my local park, and we're all friends and get along.
Old 01-23-08, 11:50 AM
DirtMO*SHette
DirtRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
more city areas may be different but the country and suburban areas around here, we are all seperate, the skaters are alone, bladers and bmxers get along, and snowboarders are with everyone, because like everyone here does it.
Old 11-06-09, 03:37 PM
Egobop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am probably quite a bit older than most posting in this thread. I am 37 years of age and started freestyle riding in the 80's at about the age of 11. I started off with a Huffy. A few years later I actually was able to upgrade to a Mongoose. From the Mongoose I went to a Haro FST (it stood for Freestyle, Street and Track). In 1985 I was able to get a partial sponsorship from a local bicycle shop which basically meant that I would do freestyle shows with other teenagers for them and they would give us discounts on parts. At that time I was able to upgrade to a Haro Master which was considered to be one of the best freestyle bicycles at the time. I actually bought it as a frame and fork with the Haro handlebars. I then fitted it with ACS 48 spoke rims, an ACS neck and rotor for the brakes, a Drain Pipe seat post, Viscount seat,etc.

I can honestly say that the only bicycle that made a difference as far as my being able to do tricks was the Haro Master due to the fact that the other three bicycles did not have a rotor for the brakes so I was not able to freely spin the handlebars. As far as durability, I remember stripping the neck on the Huffy, the Mongoose and the Haro. It happened to me twice with the Huffy as well as twice with the Mongoose. I only stripped the neck once on the Haro. I remember stripping the handlebar once on the Mongoose where no matter how much I tightened it the bar would move forward or backward once you applied any decent amount of pressure to it. I do not remember ever bending a rim on the Huffy but I do remember having to buy rims on a number of occasions with the Mongoose. At one point I put mag wheels on the Haro FST bicycle and that was a major mistake because within three weeks the front one was bent severely to the point where I had to replace them and put spoked wheels on. I also broke two brake calipers and one pedal on the Haro Master. I remember one time breaking the crank on the Mongoose as well. All of these things happened while doing tricks. i do not count parts broken from bail outs because that will happen on any bicycle.

The point I am making with the above is that there are very few bicycles that will make you any worse at bicycle freestyle and absolutely none that will make you better. Chances are that if you can nail a trick on one bicycle, you can nail the same trick on ALMOST any other bicycle. At the time I had my Haro Master I had friends with GT Performers, Hutch Trick Stars, Dyno bicycles, Redlines, etc. We would switch bicycles occasionally and after a few minutes of getting used to the feel of another bicycle we would be nailing tricks on the different bikes.

One thing that does make a difference will be the weight of the bicycle. Obviously, if you are doing BMX racing you want the lightest bicycle you can get. With freestyle bicycles it is a matter of personal preference. I always felt more comfortable using a heavier bicycle. My Haro Master was heavier than my Mongoose but I always felt more comfortable doing tricks on the Master. It was easier for me to find the balancing points on the heavier bicycles than on the lighter ones. Again, this is a matter of personal preference. I had friends that had an easier time with lighter bicycles and once that had an easier time, like myself, on heavier bicycles.

My advise on a beginner buying a bicycle for freestyle use is to buy something not expensive at all. No matter what you buy, you will be bailing out often in the beginning and parts will break. You do not want to have to spend money replacing parts on an expensive bicycle. Most beginners in the market for a freestyle bicycle will probably have friends that are into freestyle as well. Try the two easiest and most basic tricks on as many different friends bicycles as you can. These tricks would be an endo and a wheelie. Do not do this to decide which bicycle to buy, but rather to see which you find an easier time finding the balancing point on. After finding which bicycles were easier for you to find the balancing point on, determine if they are heavier or lighter bicycles. Use this to help determine if a lighter or heavier bicycle is for you. Remember, the brand is not the key, the weight is. One item I would say is a must regardless of what bicycle you buy is a rotor for the brakes. This is the piece under the neck that lets you spin the handlebars forever without worrying about the brake cable getting in the way. This is a must for any serious freestyler. I would also suggest staying away from the mag wheels and stick with something with 48 spokes on the rims. I stated earlier that I had bent mag wheels and I also had a number of friends that either bent them or cracked them as well. If you are going to doing just about all 1/4 pipe riding this may not matter but if you are going to be doing ground tricks often it will.

I was actually at Target earlier and was looking at a Tony Hawk bicycle. It was the Homer model. I am actually going to buy it for my son who is now 5 years old. I am going to buy it for him but am actually going to use it myself occasionally as well. Yes, I am 37 years of age but I did not say that I act my age either. I had done bicycle freestyle riding nearly daily until I hit the age of 25 at which point I was still using my Haro Master. I sold my Haro Master about one year ago on ebay. I could not believe the money they were getting for them and although I really did not want to sell it I decided I needed the money more than the bicycle. After I try out the Tony Hawk bicycle I will let you know if I feel it is durable or not. I am 5' 11" and 200 pounds so if it can take my abuse for a few hours each week I would think it is pretty durable.

As far as freestyle riders and skateboarders getting along, I have always gotten along with skateboarders. I had friends that were skateboarders and friends who were bicycle freestyle riders. We would often hang out together doing tricks. I also did skateboarding as well but I was never as good at it as with bicycles. It always seemed harder for me to do tricks on a skateboard and easier to get hurt doing tricks on a bicycle.
Old 11-06-09, 03:48 PM
TRaffic Jammer
Dances With Cars

Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 44 and skated from the age of 11 til 36 when I sent my kneecap to the backside of leg .. just to see how it feel to sit down beside my ankle. the only BMX'rs we didn't like were ones who kept bailing and tossing their bikes onto the vert ramp trannies busting through with the pedals and cranks.

TH for decks. not bikes.
Old 11-06-09, 07:20 PM
randya

Bikes: who cares?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
saw an ad for 'em on the disney channel today during an episode of goofy, while I ate lunch in my fave mexican restaurant. my policy is never to buy anything that's advertised on TV

Old 11-07-09, 11:39 AM
fuzzbox
Your imaginary friend.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Egobop
I am probably quite a bit older than most posting in this thread. I am 37 years of age and started freestyle riding in the 80's at about the age of 11. I started off with a Huffy. A few years later I actually was able to upgrade to a Mongoose. From the Mongoose I went to a Haro FST (it stood for Freestyle, Street and Track). In 1985 I was able to get a partial sponsorship from a local bicycle shop which basically meant that I would do freestyle shows with other teenagers for them and they would give us discounts on parts. At that time I was able to upgrade to a Haro Master which was considered to be one of the best freestyle bicycles at the time. I actually bought it as a frame and fork with the Haro handlebars. I then fitted it with ACS 48 spoke rims, an ACS neck and rotor for the brakes, a Drain Pipe seat post, Viscount seat,etc.

I can honestly say that the only bicycle that made a difference as far as my being able to do tricks was the Haro Master due to the fact that the other three bicycles did not have a rotor for the brakes so I was not able to freely spin the handlebars. As far as durability, I remember stripping the neck on the Huffy, the Mongoose and the Haro. It happened to me twice with the Huffy as well as twice with the Mongoose. I only stripped the neck once on the Haro. I remember stripping the handlebar once on the Mongoose where no matter how much I tightened it the bar would move forward or backward once you applied any decent amount of pressure to it. I do not remember ever bending a rim on the Huffy but I do remember having to buy rims on a number of occasions with the Mongoose. At one point I put mag wheels on the Haro FST bicycle and that was a major mistake because within three weeks the front one was bent severely to the point where I had to replace them and put spoked wheels on. I also broke two brake calipers and one pedal on the Haro Master. I remember one time breaking the crank on the Mongoose as well. All of these things happened while doing tricks. i do not count parts broken from bail outs because that will happen on any bicycle.

The point I am making with the above is that there are very few bicycles that will make you any worse at bicycle freestyle and absolutely none that will make you better. Chances are that if you can nail a trick on one bicycle, you can nail the same trick on ALMOST any other bicycle. At the time I had my Haro Master I had friends with GT Performers, Hutch Trick Stars, Dyno bicycles, Redlines, etc. We would switch bicycles occasionally and after a few minutes of getting used to the feel of another bicycle we would be nailing tricks on the different bikes.

One thing that does make a difference will be the weight of the bicycle. Obviously, if you are doing BMX racing you want the lightest bicycle you can get. With freestyle bicycles it is a matter of personal preference. I always felt more comfortable using a heavier bicycle. My Haro Master was heavier than my Mongoose but I always felt more comfortable doing tricks on the Master. It was easier for me to find the balancing points on the heavier bicycles than on the lighter ones. Again, this is a matter of personal preference. I had friends that had an easier time with lighter bicycles and once that had an easier time, like myself, on heavier bicycles.

My advise on a beginner buying a bicycle for freestyle use is to buy something not expensive at all. No matter what you buy, you will be bailing out often in the beginning and parts will break. You do not want to have to spend money replacing parts on an expensive bicycle. Most beginners in the market for a freestyle bicycle will probably have friends that are into freestyle as well. Try the two easiest and most basic tricks on as many different friends bicycles as you can. These tricks would be an endo and a wheelie. Do not do this to decide which bicycle to buy, but rather to see which you find an easier time finding the balancing point on. After finding which bicycles were easier for you to find the balancing point on, determine if they are heavier or lighter bicycles. Use this to help determine if a lighter or heavier bicycle is for you. Remember, the brand is not the key, the weight is. One item I would say is a must regardless of what bicycle you buy is a rotor for the brakes. This is the piece under the neck that lets you spin the handlebars forever without worrying about the brake cable getting in the way. This is a must for any serious freestyler. I would also suggest staying away from the mag wheels and stick with something with 48 spokes on the rims. I stated earlier that I had bent mag wheels and I also had a number of friends that either bent them or cracked them as well. If you are going to doing just about all 1/4 pipe riding this may not matter but if you are going to be doing ground tricks often it will.

I was actually at Target earlier and was looking at a Tony Hawk bicycle. It was the Homer model. I am actually going to buy it for my son who is now 5 years old. I am going to buy it for him but am actually going to use it myself occasionally as well. Yes, I am 37 years of age but I did not say that I act my age either. I had done bicycle freestyle riding nearly daily until I hit the age of 25 at which point I was still using my Haro Master. I sold my Haro Master about one year ago on ebay. I could not believe the money they were getting for them and although I really did not want to sell it I decided I needed the money more than the bicycle. After I try out the Tony Hawk bicycle I will let you know if I feel it is durable or not. I am 5' 11" and 200 pounds so if it can take my abuse for a few hours each week I would think it is pretty durable.

As far as freestyle riders and skateboarders getting along, I have always gotten along with skateboarders. I had friends that were skateboarders and friends who were bicycle freestyle riders. We would often hang out together doing tricks. I also did skateboarding as well but I was never as good at it as with bicycles. It always seemed harder for me to do tricks on a skateboard and easier to get hurt doing tricks on a bicycle.
Just so you know you should probably check the dates more often.

Old 06-30-19, 09:28 AM
Fitrider420

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wethepeople
Last I checked I ride with more skaters than BMXers, we get along quite well most of the time.
Idk why bmxer be beefing with skaters i bike with alot of skaters and we have no problems
Old 06-30-19, 09:33 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
Why did you resurrect a necro thread? This thing has been dead for almost exactly 10yrs,...

Old 07-05-19, 04:03 PM
MAYAM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I won’t agree on taking the bike.
Old 07-31-19, 02:23 PM
wixmen