Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

Progression of BMX tech from 70's to now... stems, threads, cranks, wheels, etc...

Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

Progression of BMX tech from 70's to now... stems, threads, cranks, wheels, etc...

Old 09-22-19, 07:07 PM
gitanesearch

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

How many different fork threads have their been since the original Mongoose era in the late 70s early 80s? I think it's called non-threaded now, vs threaded then, 1" vs ??, not sure what's out there since I still just have my very old school BMX.

Can anyone elaborate?
Old 09-25-19, 09:06 PM
uncleivan 

Bikes: '92 MX Leader, 84 Colnago Mexico, 85 Recherche, 86 Panasonic ATB Pro, 88 Roberts, 80 moser... ect

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 67 Posts
The older bmx bikes used a 1" threaded headset, and fork with a quill style stem. Most bmx companies had switched to threadless 1 1/8 headsets and compatible forks/stems by 1996/7.

'
Old 09-26-19, 03:30 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by uncleivan
The older bmx bikes used a 1" threaded headset, and fork with a quill style stem. Most bmx companies had switched to threadless 1 1/8 headsets and compatible forks/stems by 1996/7.
Plus kids race bikes use 1" threadless, and now tapered steer tubes have made their way from mtb.
Old 09-26-19, 08:06 AM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Was bolt with star nut, compression setup without star nut, pre load bolt with threaded fork (interior).

Some other for changes;
-Tapered legs
-Smaller dropout for use with pegs that avoid banging or snagging it (and weight saving). Couple those with hub guards to protect spokes at hub from breaking
-Rounded steerer at the top for large tire clearance.

BMX became all business for a while so many just see they look the same, but there are so many improvements. They have finally come back the other way, many new school co mix up the old style, colors are available etc.

Last edited by Bikerider007; 09-26-19 at 08:13 AM.
Old 09-29-19, 01:23 PM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
I didnt see title but yea there are tons of improvements beyond geometry for strength and short chainstays.

Integrated Campy style headsets, U brakes with placement standard under brake bridge for clearance, most are sealed mid bottom brackets, 22 and 24 mm with hollow spindle available, even some standard 19 mm are hollow, 14mm rear axles standard for strength, female hollow 3/8" for front, cassette, freecoaster and now magneto hub options, crank arms are set up (drilled and tapped) for right or left hand drive so if you ride left or right foot forward or grind a particular side, half link chains, pivotal seats are standard but tripod is also available-no ugly guts or bending over to mount seat, some frames and bars have external rifling or ridges for dent resistance, tall bars up to 11"....one of my favorites is the most simple, thick soft bars ends that allow you to drop bike with no damage to grip or bar. Similar with pedals

Last edited by Bikerider007; 09-29-19 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-22-19, 01:33 PM
BicycleBicycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Gotta love the mid school phase.
Everything seemed like it was almost purposefully made to be as heavy as possible.
1/4" chains anyone?

Then the response to that, where everything was made paper thin and the lightest bike possible was the coolest (I remember every frame having a MASSIVE downtube dent haha).
Yeah, that was funny. I remember wondering how people were going to get enough strength to do anything. Light bikes were amazing for people who were used to heavy bikes, but what about people that never had a heavy bike? Wouldn't they just be less buff?
3 piece designs went backwards to 2 piece designs again. The 9t cassette became popular and small drivechains were en vogue.

Nowadays many products seem to be both strong AND light.
Old 12-16-19, 12:19 AM
ekline309

Bikes: Standard TRLS 250

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikerider007
pre load bolt with threaded fork (interior).
This is the latest upgrade I've seen along with some stems which have replaced the top headset cap.
Old 12-19-19, 03:52 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,119 Times in 743 Posts
Frame geometry shifted a long time ago to longer and longer top tubes and steeper steering and head tube angles
Old 01-04-20, 08:34 AM
BikeMaster119

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In those years it was harder to own such a bicycle but the owners did not think that they would allow to make different modifications so these bicycles were better used as they were in the manufacture.