Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

New From Portland

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

New From Portland

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-19, 06:54 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
New From Portland

Greetings everyone! New guy from the Pacific Northwest here. I've been riding for maybe 40 years, give or take. My first real, significant bike ever was in maybe 7th grade or so. It was an orange 10-speed. That's all I can tell you. It moved me around and we had fun. In 1980, my parents really stepped up to the plate and bought me a gorgeous UniVega (steel, of course). No idea what the components were--it didn't matter to me. That bike was fantastic. It shifted beautifully, handled well, and was a ton of fun. It lasted forever. More recently, I had some sort of Orca with 105. I found it to be pretty fast. And therefore, fun. Loved that Orbea, but it was unfortunately stolen here in the Land of Stolen Bikes. In any event, I replaced the Orbea with a Wilier that had Rival on it--my first SRAM bike ever. I liked it a lot. I kinda like SRAM. It cornered like a Lamborghini and was also super-fun. Unfortunately, in a moment of stunning partnership confusion, my partner donated the Wilier to a good local cause while I was out of town. Still not sure about that whole thing. Anyway, new bike. 56 cm BMC SLR02 with 105. Very happy with it. I run it with Gator Hardshells this time of year, because of all the road debris here in the city. So far, so good.

Like a lot of people, I am looking to make some sort of move into electronic shifting. I know it is nothing compared to what a lot of you have invested in your bikes, but electronic is still fairly expensive to me. Not sure which route I am going to go. Anyhoo, the current plan is to keep the BMC for the wet months (since it doesn't have super-expensive components and I won't therefore freak if they get somewhat thrashed in all this awful, dirty weather) and then get some kind of electronic package on a good-weather bike. We'll see.

I have a ton to learn. I really know very little about the mechanical aspects of bikes and cycling. Would love to learn more. Looking forward to participating in whatever modest way I might. See you guys around!
Old 09-30-19, 08:14 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
bpcyclist,
Welcome to Bikeforums, it nice to have another member join us from the Pacific North West, I can't help you with any electronic shifting questions but I am sure others will chime in and be able to offer you assistance.
Again, a Warm Welcome, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 10-01-19, 06:05 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11960 Post(s)
Liked 6,629 Times in 3,477 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums!