Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Fear of carbon fork breaking on potholes

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Fear of carbon fork breaking on potholes

Old 10-08-19, 06:54 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 87 Posts
There's nothing wrong with suggesting that someone riding a road bike in pot-hole city is on the wrong bike. Even on a forum full of die-hard roadies.

But if the OP's happy with smashing a twiglet road bike over potholes at 25mph, and isn't open to alternatives, then there's little else to suggest.

Old 10-08-19, 08:24 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1521 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by codyB View Post
Are me and 79pmooney the only people in this thread who live in the U.S. Northeast?
No, 79pmooney used to live in the northeast. Several of us live in potholandia.

Suggest that rather than worrying about your fork, you learn when and how to get out of your saddle, and also learn how to repair flats.

And ignore the wrong bike crowd. And the wrong tire crowd. And the wrong....

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 10-08-19 at 08:56 PM.
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 10-09-19, 12:14 PM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Bikes: Trek FX 3; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2351 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 454 Posts
Are me and 79pmooney the only people in this thread who live in the U.S. Northeast?
Ahem.
Old 10-09-19, 12:29 PM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Bikes: Trek FX 3; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2351 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill View Post
No, 79pmooney used to live in the northeast. Several of us live in potholandia.

Suggest that rather than worrying about your fork, you learn when and how to get out of your saddle, and also learn how to repair flats.

And ignore the wrong bike crowd. And the wrong tire crowd. And the wrong....

-mr. bill
I ride some pretty damn bumpy roads on my 25mm, urban and rural, and really there isn't that big a difference between them and my 36mm as long as I get off the saddle. For me, the handling on a street is much better with the 25s, so I'm able to avoid potholes with a lot less notice as well.

I had a plastic fork break in two once, but I was using it to hold a tough steak in place while trying to cut the steak with a plastic knife.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-11-19, 10:01 AM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
The people suggesting a fatter tire are offering good advice, because when you hit a pothole, the sequence of failure is: tube --> tire --> rim.

In other words, first you'll pinch flat. If it's worse than that, it might cut your tire or flat a tubeless tire. If it's worse than that, it might crack or dent your rim.

If it's worse than that, it might throw you over the bars after damaging your front wheel. But your fork will still probably be fine.

If you've ridden the route and are getting by with your current tires, there's no reason to worry about the rest. They're the canaries in the coal mine.
Old 10-11-19, 12:32 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 104 Posts
I'm worried about the carbon fork snapping as I hit a pothole at 18mph. I'm thinking of changing to a different material fork for this reason because again I am often forced to hit a lot of potholes, but can anybody tell me how likely a serious breakage is to happen while riding or what the best course of action would be?
Carbon is extremely strong. Changing to a different material won't improve the durability of your fork.

Also, the notion that carbon parts snap without warning is mostly a myth. Like metal components, they fail progressively. If ever your steering starts feeling soft, stop riding. You likely have a damaged steering tube that may soon break off.

Last edited by terrymorse; 10-11-19 at 12:39 PM. Reason: added "snap without warning" myth