Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2019! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2019! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Old 10-10-19, 01:47 PM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
@Tundra_Man maybe it's time for carbon fiber winter bikes with stainless steel chain rings
One of the criteria I had for my winter bike was an aluminum frame. Carbon would probably hold up well too, but I didn't want to pay the premium for it.

All the steel components like chains, rings and cogs rust in a heartbeat as soon as the road salt hits it. You can also tell immediately which fasteners are stainless steel and which ones are regular.
Old 10-10-19, 03:11 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount, Salsa Timberjack, Diamondback Expert TG, Burley Samba

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1596 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 124 Posts
Visiting northern cities from CA, it's always funny to see how all the cars are cheap, small, and new. People down here can put more money into a car because it's not going to dissolve
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 10-10-19 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-10-19, 03:18 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by davei1980 View Post
It's not bad enough they poisoned people to the extent they made a movie about them starring Julia Roberts as Erin Brokovich, but they can't be bothered to take care of their **** so as to not burn down the state which is home to their customers? BRILLIANT
Heck, it might be a long plotted revenge for the 2001 bankruptcy... which was mostly due to Enron, but surely was not helped by the film in Y2K. Who knows?
Old 10-10-19, 03:20 PM
davei1980

Bikes: Ridley XBow all-purpose frankenbike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
Visiting northern climes from CA, it's always funny to see how all the cars are cheap, small, and new. People down here can put more money into a car because it's not going to dissolve
The model with the highest number of new car registrations in Spokane County each year = Subaru Impreza
Old 10-10-19, 03:27 PM
davei1980

Bikes: Ridley XBow all-purpose frankenbike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts
I drove today due to some off-site meetings - which is a shame because it's sunny mid 40s here today.

It reminded me what I think all of us who drive a car should be reminded of: driving is a privilege and a luxury - it should feel like that. I can remember when I used to drive every day it felt like a chore, and I got a sense of entitlement behind the wheel. Now that I ride 95% of the days I am in the office, it feels like a treat to drive in a warm car and listen to the radio. As it should. I am glad bike commuting gave me this perspective. Life is too short to have a stressful commute.

I am sure most of you also drive a car occasionally, is this your sense as well?
Old 10-11-19, 06:34 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I am sure most of you also drive a car occasionally, is this your sense as well?
I drove yesterday because I had to drop my daughter of at her driver's ed class. My thoughts while driving in are along the lines of, "I'm glad I don't have to deal with this traffic every morning," and, "Which route is the least backed up?" However, at the end of the day when I'm more tired, I definitely have a bit of relief knowing I don't have to change clothes and bike home. But then I'm bummed I didn't get the miles in and will have a lower than average week for mileage.

Cool enough for lightweight gloves this morning. About 52F. Supposed to be a nice afternoon and weekend though.

Happy Friday!
Old 10-11-19, 07:26 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 14 Posts
Consecutive bicycle work commute number 820:

32F, snow flurries, 20 mph headwind with 40 mph gusts, and a fat tired bicycle.

No speed records were harmed in the making of this commute.
Old 10-11-19, 09:39 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1013 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 50 Posts
It reminded me what I think all of us who drive a car should be reminded of: driving is a privilege and a luxury - it should feel like that. I can remember when I used to drive every day it felt like a chore, and I got a sense of entitlement behind the wheel. Now that I ride 95% of the days I am in the office, it feels like a treat to drive in a warm car and listen to the radio. As it should. I am glad bike commuting gave me this perspective. Life is too short to have a stressful commute.

It's got to be miserable weather before I enjoy driving a car to or from work. And even then it's a mixed "blessing" because there's a mix of idiots who can't drive in the rain and the fools who won't slow down for rain or traffic. Most of the time I end up wishing I'd ridden the bike.

This morning, for instance, I did a broad swerve on an early turn that left me grinning like a kid. I noticed a yellow billed cuckoo calling (late in the year for that one), and a bright red cardinal I concluded had to be young of this year to be so bright in the fall. If I'd driven the car, I'd have noticed how long it took a traffic light to turn, and how long the guy in front of me took to turn. The car would have been a chore, or a duty, rather than the pleasure I got from the bike this morning.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 10-11-19, 10:54 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

I've put away my bike, probably til the 21st. This week of riding was done on Weds due to extracurricular need for the truck, next week I'm on work travel
Old 10-11-19, 12:43 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2587 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 60 Posts
Lost a fender strut bolt yesterday morning - was happy I'd stocked some zip-ties for a quick-fix.

Nice and cool in the mornings now, which adds some entertainment from watching the locals riding around bundled up in thermal gear.
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 10-11-19, 04:38 PM
liampboyle

Bikes: 2007 Kona Caldera

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
This morning was about 64°F and overcast. This evening 70°F with light rain.