Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Is track racing dying out in the US?

Old 10-11-19, 04:26 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk View Post
i mean in the occasional defense of americans, we just don't have many tax dollars once we account for a regressive tax policy and after the military industrial complex gets their hands on it
The federal government has been removing a lot of its support for the arts. Remember Piss Christ?, or when Congress decided Rock and Rap were the reason kids were acting up (It is actually poor parenting, but canít hold constituents accountable). In Europe, orchestraís are subsidized making it very affordable to go. People in the U.S. would rather play video games at home. You can even get college scholarships for playing video games now.
Old 10-11-19, 05:44 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
On the other hand, at the junior and elite level, there's an exciting new impetus to get things moving forward from USA cycling, largely due to some new blood in the coaching pool. Eventual success here (and we're already seeing some) might provide some inspiration to build more tracks?
Old 10-12-19, 10:41 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62 View Post
The federal government has been removing a lot of its support for the arts. Remember Piss Christ?, or when Congress decided Rock and Rap were the reason kids were acting up (It is actually poor parenting, but can’t hold constituents accountable). In Europe, orchestra’s are subsidized making it very affordable to go. People in the U.S. would rather play video games at home. You can even get college scholarships for playing video games now.
Regarding video games. It's simply a numbers game. If you can get thousands of people at a time to sit and watch someone do anything, there will be ad money involved.

How is a video game scholarship any more absurd than a golf scholarship? What's more, the average person can relate more to video games than I can to golf. I've played video games thousands of times...and golf (including driving ranges and mini-golf) dozens.

Imagine some guy explaining golf to his parents a couple of hundred years ago explaining that it would be big in the future.
Old 10-12-19, 11:14 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke View Post
On the other hand, at the junior and elite level, there's an exciting new impetus to get things moving forward from USA cycling, largely due to some new blood in the coaching pool. Eventual success here (and we're already seeing some) might provide some inspiration to build more tracks?
Real talk, if the hardware these ladies brought home over the years wasn't enough to ignite some passion for building tracks, I don't know what will:

I know I'm a Debbie Downer in this thread, but I just want to speak honestly so that we see things as close to reality as possible.

I absolutely love this sport. I just don't know how to grow it...or if it's even possible.
Old 10-12-19, 05:30 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Carleton, somewhat agree. Trying to look at the bright side here! However, the women's TP success is something of an outlier in my opinion as over the last ten years or so that was the only track program getting any kind of support. That is changing. Look at the recent junior worlds, there was a lot of US success, even in sprint events! My point is that support is growing, becoming systematized, being implemented more intelligently. This could have big ramifications down the road. I put this down mostly to a change in coaching staff at USA Cycling (in other words, Lee Povey, but probably others I'm not aware of).