Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bicycling Merit Badge

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bicycling Merit Badge

Old 10-10-19, 06:02 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Da Tinker
I agree totally and think the white front reflector is the most worthless bicycle accessory ever. If you're riding at night, you need a headlight not only to see where you're going and to see possible hazards in the road in front of you, but also to be seen by other traffic and to comply with the law. I can see how it'd give non-savvy riders a false sense of security.
I agree but will relate this little tale. We're having a contractor do some work and I've been getting up at 0530 to take the dog to the park so that chore will be out of the way for the duration of the job. Yesterday I was headed home at about 0630 (still dark) when I spied a tiny speck of white on the shoulder ahead. It was a bike rider (this guy was not a cyclist) wearing all black and riding a black bike the wrong way, so into oncoming traffic (that's me). Had it not been for his white front reflector I would have seen nothing in my lane. That pitiful piece of crap might have saved his life.

Last edited by thumpism; 10-10-19 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-10-19, 06:26 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
I'll be darned, never heard about this M/B when I was a scout. Turns out its been around since 1911.. I have not.

Likes For bobwysiwyg:
Old 10-13-19, 04:15 PM
Dr.Lou

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
^^^^^me too^^^^^

As an Eagle Scout and avid childhood cyclist, I am presently asking myself why I didn’t seek to earn the cycling merit badge, one of the 57 original merit badges. Hindsight...

Last edited by Dr.Lou; 10-13-19 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-13-19, 10:28 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,764 Times in 1,725 Posts
By coincidence I did a century just a couple of weeks ago that was tagging on with the Scouts 50 mile event. For them that meant one lap around Bear Lake which is half in Utah and half in Idaho. I did two laps around. Hat's off to those scouts out there. Mostly low end mountain bikes and the likes. A lot of them were suffering yet they still had an encouraging word for me as I passed by. Spent a lot of time encouraging them. Oh and I did see one teenager on a really nice Waterford bike. Had to give him a big thumbs up for that.
Old 10-18-19, 08:59 AM
genrlz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We'll be working on this merit badge next year. I can see the distance rides being an issue for a lot of my boys.
Old 10-18-19, 09:07 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
That's great, if you want to add something to the curriculum add maintenance. Changing a tire, lubing a chain, checking tire pressure, installing a bottom bracket (not really)....you get the idea.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 10-18-19, 09:35 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
I wonder if the Girl Scouts have a similar badge? The last time I was out on the Cape Code Rail Trail, I saw groups of boys with adult leaders and girls also with adult leaders out riding the path. I'm almost positive the boys were scouts. There were at least 2 groups of each. Nice path to do distance rides on. I got in my first 50+ mile ride that day.
Old 10-19-19, 10:00 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 317 Posts
Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
I wonder if the Girl Scouts have a similar badge? The last time I was out on the Cape Code Rail Trail, I saw groups of boys with adult leaders and girls also with adult leaders out riding the path. I'm almost positive the boys were scouts. There were at least 2 groups of each. Nice path to do distance rides on. I got in my first 50+ mile ride that day.
Girls can now join the boy scouts, or as it's now called, "Scouts BSA".

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/01/us/bo...rnd/index.html
Old 10-19-19, 11:21 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup

Does that mean Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts are one organization now?
Old 10-19-19, 11:48 AM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by skiahh
Interesting. Just looked up the requirements for this one. They emphasize ALL legal requirements; how many of us remove all the reflectors? And if you've done that, how do you explain it to the Scout?
Yep, and in my opinion, for all the fuss people make about the importance of lights, and the ever increasing lumen war, nothing lights up light headlights on reflective material. Reflective materials on spokes or tires could be naturally strobing. Recently I was curious why bike manufacturers don't use reflective paint, like on license plates and street signs. Maybe not feasible as a durable mixture, but I think that would be far better than lighting as a safety measure at night. If you want to add lights as well, that's fine but they don't need to be super novas.
Old 10-19-19, 01:04 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 317 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
Does that mean Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts are one organization now?
I believe they are different organizations. From the article
In an updated statement on Friday, GSUSA said BSA's decision "does not change the position of Girl Scouts of the USA or our mission to serve girls, and girls only, and to foster their amazing leadership potential. We remain steadfast in our knowledge that Girl Scouts is the world's single best leadership development program for girls."
Likes For katsup:
Old 10-19-19, 03:56 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup

These were separate groups I saw. Really I think they just need to make girl scouts better rather than allowing girls to join the boy scouts. It seems like every all Male group has been forced to go co-ed. The same is not true of groups for girls and women.
Likes For NomarsGirl:
Old 10-21-19, 03:50 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
That's great, if you want to add something to the curriculum add maintenance. Changing a tire, lubing a chain, checking tire pressure, installing a bottom bracket (not really)....you get the idea.
Sadly, I don't think schools teach this in Driver's Ed much any more, but they should. Changing a tire, checking oil, topping off fluids, all important things to know but I don't think most drivers today know how to do them.
Old 10-21-19, 07:06 PM
roogie

Bikes: Trek 1.2C, Trek 4300 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Hmm, went I went through Scouts I don't remember a Cycling merit badge. Have to go pull it out to see, but it may be because I earned Eagle in 1985..
Old 10-21-19, 07:50 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
i earned cycling merit badge on my way to Eagle Scout in 1993. I remember about halfway through my 50 mile ride the ball bearings felling out of my rear wheel. I took my dad's borrowed hybrid and finished the ride. I wrote my merit badge counselor when in 2016 I rode 6535 miles (most in a year so far) He was impressed.
Old 10-22-19, 10:56 AM
Badbird2000

Bikes: Litespeed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Great post. I earned my Cycling merit badge on my trail to Eagle back in the late 1980's. I bought my first road bike, a Fuji Tivolli. Dawn blue. I made contact with a local counselor, as no on was signed up in our troop. I met him at a local bike ride and we worked on all the requirements. Later, after I earned my Eagle and turned 18, I stayed with my troop, became an Assistant Scoutmaster and signed up to be a counselor for the badge myself. Had a few scouts start out on the badge, but after the 15 mile ride they all dropped out.