Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Am I the only one ?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Am I the only one ?

Old 10-13-19, 07:15 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 3,044 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by jrhoneOC
A bike shop cant suggest an ill-fitting bike and then force you to keep it. SPECIALIZED themselves won't allow that. (ridercare@specialized.com Customer service: 1 (877) 808-8154), a few phone calls and I guarantee the bike shop will say come back and lets figure it out for you....
The pitch has 27.5" wheels and a lower standover height. There also other frames that work as well (Rockhopper woman's?). So there are bikes off the shelf that will work better than what you have. Specialized has a computerized fit system where they take all your body measurements and it tells them what bikes will fit properly, seat height, what handlebar width is ideal, etc. Did this bike shop use that or some guy that said "This will work for you."? Just curious...which Rockhopper did you get?
I went to the shop to try a Rockhopper. Although they are supposed to be a Specialized dealer , they didn’t have a Rockhopper of any kind in the shop .
i was told they were also a Giant dealer and had several if I wanted to look at one of those . I told them I was only interested in a Specialized Rockhopper. I showed them on my phone the model I wanted and talked to them about fit . It was the entry level 2020 Rockhopper.
i had bought a Medium Roll about six weeks ago and the bike fit me better than any unaltered bike I’ve ever owned .
I was told if the Roll in medium fit , the the medium Rockhopper should fit and we ordered the bike and I paid for it .
in a week it was ready . When I went to check it out , they gave me a test ride in the parking lot with their fit guy checking me out. I told him the bike felt big and the stand over was close to being too tall . He watched me ride and said I needed to raise the saddle more as my legs still had a little bend in it when at the bottom of my stroke . I told him , my weight was already totally on my hands and asked about raising the front bars and he said it would ruin the geometry of the bike , that it was designed to be ridden like that , and that I needed to give it a try .
I knew I was going to have to raise the bars if I was going to be able to ride it .
I didn’t realize they had a no return policy until the next day when I tried a very short ride at home and thought about returning it . I checked my receipt and found the no return policy on bikes .
I like the bike now with the bars raised and I even adjusted the saddle up a tad . I plan on keeping it .
I don’t think I would be able to find a new mountain bike that I didn’t have to raise the bars on because of my weird body shape .
Old 10-13-19, 07:23 PM
sumgy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by kirby999
He watched me ride and said I needed to raise the saddle more as my legs still had a little bend in it when at the bottom of my stroke .
Should have walked away when he told you this.
You should NOT have your leg straight at the bottom of your pedal stroke.
I would suggest your saddle will be a number of cm too high based on this alone.

Again, wrong bike for the position you are looking for.
You seem to be describing a "Dutch Bike" position but trying to adapt an XC bike to it.

Old 10-13-19, 07:35 PM
jrhoneOC

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 40 Posts
Congrats on the new bike...hope it works well for you.
Old 10-13-19, 07:37 PM
OldCruiser

I want a comfortable bike that if I decide to take on a trail I won’t get beat up . I want wide tires , a semi upright position, and gearing low enough to climb a hill off-road.
I don’t need a fast bike or one that will go over big rocks or logs . I hope to be going slow enough to go around those type of obstacles.
I though a rigid MTB would fill the need .
like I’ve said before , I should have bought another Roll and swapped out the tires on it , but they don’t come with a front suspension.
Old 10-14-19, 07:11 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
I want a comfortable bike that if I decide to take on a trail I won’t get beat up . I want wide tires , a semi upright position, and gearing low enough to climb a hill off-road.
I don’t need a fast bike or one that will go over big rocks or logs . I hope to be going slow enough to go around those type of obstacles.
I though a rigid MTB would fill the need .
like I’ve said before , I should have bought another Roll and swapped out the tires on it , but they don’t come with a front suspension.
I think the issue is not your proportions, but that you were looking at the completely wrong type of bike.

If the problem was just your short legs, you would not only be dropping the saddle way down, but would also be needing to LOWER your bars.

However, you are doing just the opposite. You have the seat pushed all the way down AND have raised the bars 100mm (70mm stem riser plus 30mm riser bar)
Old 10-14-19, 09:13 AM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by Kapusta
I think the issue is not your proportions, but that you were looking at the completely wrong type of bike.

If the problem was just your short legs, you would not only be dropping the saddle way down, but would also be needing to LOWER your bars.

However, you are doing just the opposite. You have the seat pushed all the way down AND have raised the bars 100mm (70mm stem riser plus 30mm riser bar)
I think I know what type of bike I want . I know what riding position feels comfortable to me .
you sound like the folks at the bike shop .
I think I’ve solved my problem .
I don’t need somebody to tell me I’m doing everything wrong .
I was wondering if others were having the same problem I was having finding a mountain bike that fit .
Riding with my tail up and my weight on my hands is not comfortable.
And the seat comment , even the guy at the bike shop after seeing me stand next to the bike and mount it , said , we might have to cut the seat post to get it down low enough for you .
Old 10-14-19, 02:20 PM
sumgy

I think I know what type of bike I want . I know what riding position feels comfortable to me .
you sound like the folks at the bike shop .
I think I’ve solved my problem .
I don’t need somebody to tell me I’m doing everything wrong .
I was wondering if others were having the same problem I was having finding a mountain bike that fit .
Riding with my tail up and my weight on my hands is not comfortable.
And the seat comment , even the guy at the bike shop after seeing me stand next to the bike and mount it , said , we might have to cut the seat post to get it down low enough for you .
Well I am confused.
1 post you are talking about the shop wanting to put your seat up higher, and now you are struggling to get it low enough, and your bars higher.

Which is it?
Old 10-14-19, 02:33 PM
OldCruiser

Sorry you’re confused .
I only started this post wondering if I were the only one with an odd proportioned body struggling to make a mountain bike fit me .
It’s all sorted out now , although I’m sure a lot of you wouldn’t “approve “ of my adjustments .
But in the end , it’s my bike , and I’ve managed to get it adjusted to where “I” can ride it comfortably.
Old 10-14-19, 03:43 PM
sumgy

Sorry you’re confused .
I only started this post wondering if I were the only one with an odd proportioned body struggling to make a mountain bike fit me .
It’s all sorted out now , although I’m sure a lot of you wouldn’t “approve “ of my adjustments .
But in the end , it’s my bike , and I’ve managed to get it adjusted to where “I” can ride it comfortably.
Seems another round and round post from someone asking a question they didn't really want an answer too.

Enjoy your bike.
Old 10-14-19, 03:55 PM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by sumgy
Seems another round and round post from someone asking a question they didn't really want an answer too.

Enjoy your bike.
I plan to . Thanks !
Old 10-14-19, 07:21 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Sorry you’re confused .
If you got it to fit the way you want, then thats all good.

However, what I was trying to point is that your issue was not your body proportions, it was that you were looking for a riding position very different from what mountain bikes are designed for.

You were looking for an mtb with a comfort bike riding position and fit. You figured out how to get it, so that’s what matters.
Old 10-14-19, 07:53 PM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by Kapusta
If you got it to fit the way you want, then thats all good.

However, what I was trying to point is that your issue was not your body proportions, it was that you were looking for a riding position very different from what mountain bikes are designed for.

You were looking for an mtb with a comfort bike riding position and fit. You figured out how to get it, so that’s what matters.
Thank you .
That’s why I asked the guy at the bike shop about raising the bars . I didn’t mention it before , but I asked if they could get me some handlebars like come on the Roll . He said he didn’t know . he just said I’d mess up the bikes handling . Well it didn’t .
Except for the Specialized Roll , all of the other comfort bikes I looked at had 700 tires . The Roll has 27.5x2.3 , and no front suspension.
I wanted fatter tires and a front suspension like a mountain bike . but with a comfort bike ride .
I knew I could raise the bars and find the ride I wanted , I’ve done it before .
I will eventually put some Maxxis Hookworms on this one as most of my riding will be on either concrete , an old logging road , or a hard packed trail . No flying down trails doing jumps . I want a change of scenery from the MUP’s dodging golf carts and walkers .
But, my original question was about fit and body proportions .
Old 10-14-19, 08:16 PM
jrhoneOC

Sounds like you wanted a comfort bike that had front suspension. So you bought a XC mountain bike and changed it...Enjoy!
Old 10-14-19, 10:25 PM
OldCruiser

Sounds like you wanted a comfort bike that had front suspension. So you bought a XC mountain bike and changed it...Enjoy!
Yep , with MTB gearing . Thanks
Old 10-14-19, 11:04 PM
jrhoneOC

Yep , with MTB gearing . Thanks
I think many here were very confused by the post (I know I was!) because the part about the comfort bike riding position was kinda left out. Sounds like you ended up with what you wanted so how you got there is irrelevant. Now put some miles on that thing...and PICS!!!!
Old 10-15-19, 07:27 AM
hig4s

Bikes: Evil Insurgent, Giant Stance, Wife has Liv Cypress, son has Motobecane HT529

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I think that shops and the industry is missing this idea. This is exactly what my wife wanted. She bought a 29 comfort bike (Giant/Liv Cypress) with a Suntour spring fork (not great but will probably upgrade it eventually) I changed out the tires to a Rocket Ron front tire, (this required a different rim) and a Maxxis Rambler on the rear (could only go so wide there). It has 3x8 gearing, and I am contemplating upgrading to 1x10. She almost never uses the front shifter now.

I think there are a lot of people that want to ride easy green trails, gravel, parks, pavement, but are not looking at doing any serious single track that would love bikes like this at a little higher quality.

Giant does make the Sedona, comfort with wider off road tires and disc brakes, but it is a 26in 3x8 gearing. I think they are missing the boat.
Old 10-15-19, 07:44 AM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by hig4s
I think that shops and the industry is missing this idea.

I think there are a lot of people that want to ride easy green trails, gravel, parks, pavement, but are not looking at doing any serious single track that would love bikes like this at a little higher quality.

Giant does make the Sedona, comfort with wider off road tires and disc brakes, but it is a 26in 3x8 gearing. I think they are missing the boat.
I think they are too . Thanks for understanding what I’m trying to create .
I don’t know a lot about Giant bikes . I’m a Specialized and Electra fan . Electra offers something that fits , but without the front suspension and a too relaxed geometry.
if the Roll were offered with a front suspension, it’d be ideal I think .
Old 10-15-19, 11:31 AM
OldCruiser

I think many here were very confused by the post (I know I was!) because the part about the comfort bike riding position was kinda left out. Sounds like you ended up with what you wanted so how you got there is irrelevant. Now put some miles on that thing...and PICS!!!!
Well , I was hesitant to post a pic of my bike , but what to heck , it feels better to me now and that’s what matters .
I took it out for a neighborhood ride this morning and on the last half of a 7.3 mile ride , I used the small chainring and gears 4-7 . That allowed me to spin my way up and down hills. The gears seemed to be closer and shifting was smoother .
Can’t wait to find a dirt trail to try it out . Once this rain is over and they dry out .
look in the background of my pic and you’ll see a freshly cut gas line right away I’m planning on trying.
Old 10-15-19, 11:44 AM
DC Bike Blogger
DC Bike Blogger

Bikes: https://dcbikeblogger.wordpress.com/my-bikes/

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
I too have a short inseam compared to my overall height. And I used to have trouble with my hands hurting or getting numb. But that was 25 years ago when I was in my 30's. I have been very careful when buying a bikes since then. I don't rely on frame size or even stand-over height. I test ride it to make sure it's not too large. I find that I need a smaller bike than most people my height. That can make for less availability of used bikes in my size. But when I buy one it always fits. And life is too short to ride bikes that are uncomfortable.
Likes For DC Bike Blogger:
Old 10-15-19, 11:53 AM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by DC Bike Blogger
I too have a short inseam compared to my overall height. And I used to have trouble with my hands hurting or getting numb. But that was 25 years ago when I was in my 30's. I have been very careful when buying a bikes since then. I don't rely on frame size or even stand-over height. I test ride it to make sure it's not too large. I find that I need a smaller bike than most people my height. That can make for less availability of used bikes in my size. But when I buy one it always fits. And life is too short to ride bikes that are uncomfortable.
When I was in my 30’s I didn’t have to worry about numb hands , sore knees , and even most saddles were tolerable.
Now in my late 60’s I have arthritis in hands and knees and riding helps my knees if I get my bike setup right .
What fits one , will be uncomfortable to others. Throw in the odd proportions and it becomes harder to make a bike fit .
I’m going to try to acquire a set of Specialized Roll handlebars , that will eliminate most of my extra parts and make the bike look better .
Old 10-15-19, 11:57 AM
DC Bike Blogger
DC Bike Blogger

Bikes: https://dcbikeblogger.wordpress.com/my-bikes/

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
I'm almost 60, and have an array of ailments - age-related and otherwise. But I'm more comfortable now that I was in my 30's and riding the wrong size bike.
Old 10-15-19, 02:57 PM
OldCruiser

I got my Maxxis Hookworms today and my platform pedals . Except for maybe changing out the bars if I can get a set of Roll bars , I think it’s ready to tackle roads, cartpaths, MUP’s and some dirt if I want .
Old 10-15-19, 04:41 PM
jrhoneOC

Nice looking bike. Enjoy!!
Likes For jrhoneOC:
Old 10-17-19, 03:20 AM
sumgy

As long as you are happy with it I guess.
Old 10-17-19, 05:43 AM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by sumgy
As long as you are happy with it I guess.
Yes , I am very happy with it now . It fits me and rides comfortably. Thanks , I guess .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.