Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Helix Update?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Helix Update?

Old 09-22-19, 01:13 PM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by grayrest
Yes, that will happen on any bike with suspension and is why lockout is a feature. I ride a Birdy and can modify my pedal stroke to minimize bob up to about 100 rpm but I get bob at higher cadence or when I go out of the saddle. As long as the pedal stroke is good, those losses are relatively minor. If your goal is going fast on a Birdy, the first thing to fix is the body position and the second is the gearing. Hitting 100 rpm on a 52/11 gear ratio is only ~21 mph.
The suspension of the Birdy and Moulton have a short stroke of only 25mm and cannot be compared with mountain bike suspensions that have a much bigger stroke.

The loss is minimal and on rough road you actually ride faster with a suspended bike than with a not suspended bike. And if you want even more confort, with the 18" wheels you can mount 50mm wide Big Apple tires.

The gearing of the Pacific Cycles Birdy with 52/11 and 18" wheels (or even 20"wheels) is much too short.

Riese und Müller Birdy with derailleur use a special 9-32 cassette (and special rear freewheel) that provides a much longer 52/9 ratio (about 7.8m depending of the tires size).

I changed the wheels to have a SRAM XDR freewheel and mounted a 11s 3T 9-32 cassette.
Old 09-22-19, 08:15 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Jipe
The loss is minimal and on rough road you actually ride faster with a suspended bike than with a not suspended bike. And if you want even more confort, with the 18" wheels you can mount 50mm wide Big Apple tires.
I agree that on very rough pavement, shocks make the bike faster. And while you find the loss minimal, I found it constant. Over the years I had two Moultons and eventually parted with them. I have not had a Birdy. My small wheel bike is my Brompton, which has a shock and needs the shock for comfort.
Old 09-22-19, 11:48 PM
Jipe

My experience is that the rear suspension both of the Moulton Speed (note that the Moulton AM and older models have a different rear suspension) and Birdy do not cause an efficiency loss.

The main benefit of suspension for speed on rough road comes from the front suspension that makes the bike safer while the rear mainly affect the comfort.

I have also a Brompton, a superlight with titanium fork and rear triangle, on cobbles the front wheel bumps from one cobble to the next and force the rider to reduce its speed.

The problem of the Brompton is the combination of small wheels + rigid fork + narrow high pressure tires.

I am afraid that the same will happen with the very rigid single arm fork of the Helix.

The bigger wheels won't help a lot because the tires are too narrow and too high pressure. Peter should have made the frame to accept 50mm wide tires (which is the most common width of ETRTO 507 tires).

I have a titanium frame with carbon fork road bike with even bigger = ETRTO 622 high end wheels and even with 28mm wide tires, the same happens.

The only clear benefit of bigger wheels is on soft ground, sand for instance, where the smaller wheels are blocked faster. But also in this case, wider tires are needed.
Old 09-23-19, 07:16 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

I find that that the primary suspension and the best are the bike's tires. I too have a 622 with nice lare tires, 38. On the brompton I run Primo Comets at 65 to 75 psi and it helps. I like wide supple tires and may try Scorchers next. I find rear suspension is to be more beneficial than front. It is the comfort that is letting you ride faster on broken pavement.
Old 09-24-19, 07:19 AM
namor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikestyle
Hi Ultraline or anyone within the 100s to 300s willing to trade their Helix, I will be happy to take it up? Please let me know. Cheers!
we would be interested in two helix bikes with 10 speed derailleurs...
Old 09-25-19, 04:10 AM
namor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dear bike forums

thank you for your pm. i cannot replay because i have not 10 posts yet ;o)

we're based in switzerland. what is the fs section on bike forums?

best, namor
Old 09-25-19, 07:12 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
For Sale is fs. You should be able to find it easily. Roger
Old 09-25-19, 02:55 PM
Jipe

Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
On the brompton I run Primo Comets at 65 to 75 psi and it helps. I like wide supple tires and may try Scorchers next.
The Primo Comet are indeed very supple tires and even if they aren't really wide, they provide some comfort.

For the Greenspeed Scorcher, they are currently 40mm wide and as far as I know too wide for the Brompton (I saw there was s narrower test version made for the Brompton but not in production yet I think).

Now, a full suspension Birdy even with narrow high pressure tires like the 32x355 Kojak at 8bar provides a level of safety and comfort on cobbles totally unknown with a Brompton, whatever the tires used.
Old 09-25-19, 08:36 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

For the Greenspeed Scorcher, they are currently 40mm wide and as far as I know too wide for the Brompton (I saw there was s narrower test version made for the Brompton but not in production yet I think).

I think I can fit them to my Brompton. Others have done it.

Now, a full suspension Birdy even with narrow high pressure tires like the 32x355 Kojak at 8bar provides a level of safety and comfort on cobbles totally unknown with a Brompton, whatever the tires used.
I agree, over cobbles a Birdy or a Moulton are going to be more comfortable and faster. Its all the other time that you don't need the weight and lower efficiency of the shocks, that led me away from them.
Old 09-25-19, 11:51 PM
Jipe

If you can fit the Scorcher on the Brompton, they will surely be a very good solution, they are wide, supple, fast tires. Maybe without mudguards ?

But Greenspeed made a narrower test version of the Scorcher especially for the Brompton, so the 40mm won't fit on all Brompton's
Old 09-26-19, 06:09 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

If you can fit the Scorcher on the Brompton, they will surely be a very good solution, they are wide, supple, fast tires. Maybe without mudguards ?

But Greenspeed made a narrower test version of the Scorcher especially for the Brompton, so the 40mm won't fit on all Brompton's
In New Orleans, mudguards are a must. There is this to go by but I don't think I will need to go through all that just looking at the bikes. We shall see after I accumulate more wear on the Comets.
Old 09-26-19, 02:46 PM
Jipe

So, its the rear fenders and its mounting that cause the problem !

With the original rear fender, there is indeed not enough clearance between the tire and the fender, sooner or later dirt will clog between the tire and the fender.

Removing the mudflap of the rear fender is a very bad idea, it is this mudflap that mostly protect the rider.
Old 09-27-19, 05:50 AM
namor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks. found it. a little too steep, though...
Old 09-27-19, 10:28 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

So, its the rear fenders and its mounting that cause the problem !

With the original rear fender, there is indeed not enough clearance between the tire and the fender, sooner or later dirt will clog between the tire and the fender.

Removing the mudflap of the rear fender is a very bad idea, it is this mudflap that mostly protect the rider.
Front will no problems. The rear may as well. I see no problem with the mud flap or at the front. The tire will be 1/8-inch taller and 1/16-inch wider at each side. I could possible raise the rear flap an 1/8-inch if I had too.

It may not work out in practice. The next time I need a tire I will buy one and try and post. Right now I don't need one. If it does not work in rear I can use it in the front where cushion is needed more.
Old 09-27-19, 11:34 PM
Acabal

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So true
Old 09-27-19, 11:54 PM
Acabal

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What was the final verdict on the seat post?
Old 09-27-19, 11:57 PM
Acabal

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm looking at the helux tube here at house and it looks round to me
Old 10-07-19, 01:06 PM
ladi

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AvnerBen
Three latest update is 110 bikes produced, 3 bikes a day and improving.
So how is Helix doing? Should be around 200 bikes shipped by now?
Old 10-07-19, 02:10 PM
Acabal

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Helux seatpost

Helix not too bad. I'm replacing saddle to something more comfortable to me. But other then that not too shabby.
Old 10-07-19, 02:39 PM
Acabal

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Helux seatpost

Helix not too bad. I'm replacing saddle to something more comfortable to me. But other then that not too shabby.
Old 10-11-19, 08:32 PM
mlau

Bikes: Xootr Swift

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 44 Posts
I checked the website.

Is it possible to order one now?
Old 10-12-19, 06:56 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
I do not think so. They have a lot of paid customers still waiting for bikes. Roger
Old 10-12-19, 07:24 AM
Acabal

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Helix

My understanding is that they will be selling to the general public. The supporters will eventually get a bike but down the road
Old 10-24-19, 12:47 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I just received an email offering December 2019 delivery. Prices are $3500-4k. Contents here for those who did not receive it:

The Future of Folding Bikes is Here: Helix is Now Accepting Orders Worldwide

The folding bike you have been waiting for is now available for December delivery.

Helix is a revolutionary folding bike. Never before has there been a bike that rides and folds equally well. Helix has the most compact fold possible with the wheels folding beside the frame and between the crank arms. With 24” wheels, an all titanium frame, disc brakes, standard drivetrains and an industry leading locking mechanism, Helix rides every bit as well as it folds.

Helix is made in Canada. We are the first company in the world to robotically weld bicycle frames in an inert argon chamber. This results in the highest quality welds possible, where each frame has been manufactured to last a lifetime. In addition to this, Helix is made up of more than 30 titanium parts that are machined on our precision multi-axis CNC machines.

Helix was designed around modern bicycle standards. It uses premium components including TRP Spyke dual piston disc brakes, Shimano XT rotors, Wolf Tooth Components narrow wide chainring, Shimano SLX derailleur, Formula hubs and more. We have also designed a titanium seatpost that accommodates a large range of riding positions and allows Helix to fold even smaller.

Helix will take you where other bikes cannot. It folds so compact that it can fit in a suitcase that is within maximum airline dimensions. It has large wheels that can accept tires up to 1.5” wide and is suitable for on road and trail use. Helix is easy to fold, can stand on its own when folded and can be rolled on its front wheel so it does not have to be carried.

Helix is a complete bike. It can accommodate mudguards and racks, a trailer hitch and a child carrier. It can be converted to electric assist with a rear hub motor. It can also accept a wide range of standard bicycle components. A complete line of accessories will be available spring 2020.

Because of the extremely specialized design and manufacturing we can only accept a very limited number of orders as we work towards scaling production. Take this opportunity to be among the first in the world to own a state of the art titanium folding bike.
Order Now

https://www.helix.ca/shop/ <<<<order link

Old 10-24-19, 01:00 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
$3500-4000. Somebody in this thread predicted this years ago...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.