Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

pedal extenders for short people

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-17, 09:13 AM
ciadrul

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am looking for a pedal extender for a stationary bike for my daughter who is 4'8". Is there one that does not strap the foot to the pedal?
Old 07-18-17, 10:10 AM
Tony P.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by ciadrul
I am looking for a pedal extender for a stationary bike for my daughter who is 4'8". Is there one that does not strap the foot to the pedal?
They're generally called blocks and there's plenty without foot straps for under $10. Try Amazon, eBay, or Walmart.
Old 07-18-17, 10:56 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5775 Post(s)
Liked 2,573 Times in 1,424 Posts
Pedal blocks will raise the foot position about 1" at the bottom of the stroke. But they have problems, namely that it's easy for the pedal to roll out under the foot. But the main issue is that the total vertical stroke distance is still the same.

Given her height, it's safe to assume she also has shorter legs than the average adult, and will nor be right with a 13" difference top to bottom. The better solution is to shorten the crank arm which raises the pedal at the bottom, and lowers it at the top. That's done with a crank arm shorteners likedone with a crank arm shorteners like the ones below..
These can be pricey, but inexpensive ones are still available. You might try this source in the UK, or do your own search for a more local source

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.