Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cross-threaded crank arm thread - my options?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-17, 12:44 PM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts

I posted a similar thread in the hybrid section but wanted to broaden the discussion to see what options I have.

I have a driveside cross-threaded crank arm. At the second attempt, I managed to screw the driveside pedal in at the correct angle. What are the potential issues. Could this become a safety issue? The pedal is screwed in tight but the crank thread is cross-threaded as it went in at an angle at first but I didn't notice until I rode the bike a few yards and could feel the pedal was at an angle. So, I refitted it and it seems to have gone in at the correct angle.

I could just leave it and see what happens in the future, but that presents a potential safety issue I imagine.

I could get my bike shop to replace the crankset. I guess this would involve costs for the crankset, bottom bracket and labour costs.

What other options do I have? Or which option would you go for in this situation?
Old 10-03-17, 12:54 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Often, threading the pedal in from the back side of the crank can restore damaged threads. Failing that, a helicoil repair or new crank arm are your best options.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 10-03-17, 01:11 PM
danmyersmn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
If you were able to re-thread the pedal on correctly and it is in place now you can ride it as is and see if you have an issue. A few things could happen.

The pedal could completely fall off. This should be able to determine by yanking on the pedal a few times and see if it gives way.

The threads could be ruined in such a way as the pedal will work loose quickly. Again easy to determine by riding it a bit. The pedal will get loose and floppy before it completely falls off.

The pedal will stay seated and you are good to go. Only way to know is to ride it.
Old 10-03-17, 01:16 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
You may be OK for an indefinite time as danmyersmn states, but if it does fail a Helicoil repair will be stronger than the original threads.
Old 10-04-17, 10:21 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Retap the arm from the rear. Chances are it will be fine
Old 10-04-17, 10:38 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5774 Post(s)
Liked 2,573 Times in 1,424 Posts
Originally Posted by taz777
....At the second attempt, I managed to screw the driveside pedal in at the correct angle. What are the potential issues. Could this become a safety issue? ......

What other options do I have?
Your best option is to forget about it, and enjoy the bike.

If the pedal is tight now, odds are that it'll stay put, but you want to keep an eye on it to be sure. Other than the risk of loosening, which may be marginally more likely, all is good now.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-04-17, 11:40 AM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Your best option is to forget about it, and enjoy the bike.

If the pedal is tight now, odds are that it'll stay put, but you want to keep an eye on it to be sure. Other than the risk of loosening, which may be marginally more likely, all is good now.

++++++
Old 10-04-17, 12:31 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
. . . I didn't notice until I rode the bike a few yards and could feel the pedal was at an angle. . .
Did you ever inspect the threads for damage or confirm the "wrong" angle?
Old 10-04-17, 02:21 PM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
@AnkleWork - yes I did - it was very obviously in at the wrong angle when I test rode the bike. My right foot was wobbling on the pedal slightly and it was easy to feel that there was an issue with the pedal rotation. I aborted the ride I could actually see a couple of exposed thread on one side and none on the other side as I rotated the crank which confirmed the wrong angle. After I took the pedal off I could see that the threads in the crank arm were not good. I cleaned up both the crank arm and pedal threads, re-greased and carefully fitted the pedal back on and this time it went in at the correct angle.

After a ride today it's still on tight so I'm just going to do as some previous posters have suggested: forget about it and ride the bike! I'll just remember to give the pedal a quick check once a week or so to see that it's still screwed in tightly.
Old 10-04-17, 02:33 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
. . . I could actually see a couple of exposed thread on one side and none on the other side as I rotated the crank which confirmed the wrong angle. . .
That describes significant damage. You should plan to buy a new crank soon.
Old 10-04-17, 05:11 PM
ksisler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I would say that you are fine where you are. Just check both pedals every once in a while to ensure they are both tight and ride on. FWIW; The post about running the pedal in from the backside is credible and I have done that a couple of cases. But as your pedal is in and tight, leave it alone and ride
Old 10-04-17, 05:45 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26404 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
...generally speaking, this is not the sort of thing that will fail catastrophically. If it does start to fail, it will loosen and give you some warning.

Just don't ignore the warning if it happens and you should be fine. the threadsert repair is usually the easiest and cheapest fix, but you need someone locally that does them. You might want to call around to see if anyone does for future reference, but riding it as it is now does not make that repair any more difficult or expensive.
Old 10-04-17, 09:05 PM
16Victor

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Raleigh Competition GS, 1986 Vitus 979, 1988 Trek 360, 1991 Trek 7000 MTB, 1999 Burley Rumba tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
...a helicoil repair...
Using a drill press and vise to ensure the new hole is straight, and a tap guide as well.

Trust helicoils.
Old 11-13-19, 06:36 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
I did this a few years ago and am still enjoying riding my bike without issue.
Old 11-14-19, 08:13 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by timtak
I did this a few years ago and am still enjoying riding my bike without issue.
Well, the OP should know if he has a problem by now. This thread is over two years old.
Old 11-14-19, 12:32 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Even though 2 years old, I'll add my 2 cents. If this is a common crank, like a Shimano of almost any type, it would easy enough to find a replacement of the same model. They are so common. It is easy to pop off one crank arm and replace it with another of the same type, much easier than drilling and tapping, and likely cheaper too than having someone do it. If this is some rare or super expensive crank then I'd consider repair. Based on the OPs description though it was from a hybrid and unlikely to be anything uncommon. As it stands, the OP didn't update the thread with his ultimate results and I'm assuming it just worked as is.
Likes For zacster: