Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Men riding a womens bike????

Old 03-22-18, 09:59 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmie65
What's wrong with plastic daisies?
If you're man enough to ride with plastic daisies on your bike, then go for it.
Old 03-22-18, 10:02 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
If you're man enough to ride with plastic daisies on your bike, then go for it.
I'll post a picture.
Likes For jimmie65:
Old 03-23-18, 12:18 PM
SEAJAYBIKE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We sell step thru frames to men all the time. Whatever it takes to create a fun comfortable safe riding experience.
Specialized Roll in step thru size large fits me fine at 5'11" Trek has one of my favorites the step thru Verve as well as a step thru 7.3fx Disc that is quite nice. Its either 19" or 20" I can't recall.
We have used Dropper Seatposts with remote handlebar switches from the mountain bike realm to help some people with hip mobility problems. Drop the seat all the way down as you come to a stop. Feet stable and Saddle is out of the way as you swing off.
Old 03-23-18, 08:51 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
A woman's bike is a bike owned by a woman.
I just stumbled in here and didn't read much. That is pretty much it.

The "women's" geometry is typically different. But in some applications I want that geometry, and in some I don't.
If you mean no top tube, at 73 - go for it. If you generate the big watts, there is more frame flex. I know of no serious cyclist that would care. Posers may care.

In general, looking at the average rider on the SoCal Pacific Coast Hwy - they would do better with a woman's geometry. Most do not have the power (and body) to need the stretched out cockpit and slammed stem. Yes - that was a dig (not at the OP).

Last edited by Doge; 03-23-18 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-24-18, 07:58 AM
PaulH

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 61 Posts
A step thru bike, like a car with doors, sacrifices structural efficiency for convenience. Besides, why should a gentleman have to adopt the posture of a urinating dog in order to use a mode of transportation? The mystery is why step thru bikes are not the norm. Of course, among bike shares, both docked and dockless, they are. I've been riding a step thru for 17 years and driving a car with doors for 33.

Last edited by PaulH; 03-24-18 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-24-18, 09:21 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by RichardHaas
I have a few bikes but the most comfortable for now is a cruiser style bike. Someone gave me a womens mountain bike and am now going through it for maintenance and cleanup.
I have a prosthetic left leg and sometimes the cruiser is a little hard to get on and off by swinging my good or bad leg over the saddle and top rail.
I am just wondering if many men ride a womens bike for ease of getting on and start going. Once I am going, I feel good with the cruiser but it is only a 7 speed and inclines give me a little trouble if I haven't built up enough speed to compensate for the incline.
I am 73 years old and just bike for the exercise and scenery viewing along local greenways. I don't ride roads because I don't trust my riding and others in cars don't seem to care or lookout for a bike rider.
The gearing would be great with the mountain bike since I would have many more to choose from and getting on and off would be a lot better also.
Do many men ride women's bikes**********?
Just something that popped in my head while working on it and just wondering about it.
Any comments about this would be great.

Thanks
Richard
No. That said, I first learned how to ride a bike on my sister's old bike. And I think I rode my mom's bike to the supermarket...once.
Old 03-24-18, 03:00 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Around here they are referred to as gender neutral "low entry."
Old 03-24-18, 10:10 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Around here they are referred to as gender neutral "low entry."
A very clever marketing counterpoint. The future is going to be a very interesting place.
Old 03-26-18, 01:25 PM
rdlange

Bikes: '76 Peugeot Mixte UE-18, Bridgestone 'Submariner' picklefork mixte, Bridgestone KABUKI picklefork mixte, TREK MT220

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 2 Posts
YEAH.! Go for it.!

I shot a snake with my wife's pink revolver once. Didn't feel any less manly.

For injured me, for many years, step thru has been the way to go... in fact a high top tube can actually be detrimental to your manliness. Mmm?

Or you get to pretend to be an eccentric... Wait a minute, we ARE eccentrics. Oh well...

Get a quality ride regardless... just make sure it matches your eyes.

Be well...
Old 03-26-18, 05:40 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,364 Posts
Try selling a Mixte (an old one not a new one) and for some reasons you get some weird responses.

I listed my Motobecane Grad Touring. First caller asked if it was "girl's bike". I tried to explain what a mixte was and he interrupted and said "why don't you just say it's a F%(# girls bike?" and hung up. Second caller wanted it for his wife and then he asked what kind of man would have a woman's bike, so I hung up. Third caller asked if he could buy the parts because he could see it was either wrecked or built wrong.

I give up. I'm pulling the ad and my wife can have it. If it had fit me I would have said screw everyone and rode it everywhere. I think it's a great bike and the mixte concept is a great idea. I just wonder how they would hold up as a touring bike because mounting the step through frame would be no issue, even with a heavy load.
Old 05-14-18, 07:10 PM
sbcost
sbcost

Bikes: 1950s bauer unknown

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Absolutely.

Thats how we roll.
Old 05-14-18, 07:35 PM
kidshibuya

Bikes: Tyrell CSI, Dahon Mu LT11, Doppelganger Aurora 219

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The idea of men's and women's products is pure marketing, they realised they could change the package colour and magically make more money. It's amazing how well marketing can work as mental conditioning, we all think men's and women's specific products are normal, they aren't.

Women are human also, they can ride normal human bikes, they have no need for different geometry.
Old 05-14-18, 10:58 PM
natnatroswell22

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't see any problem with men riding women bike. Women bikes are thinner and smaller so that could be an advantage too. Also, Im amazed that despite of your age, you can still do cycling... Thumbs up.
Old 10-15-18, 12:13 AM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
What's wrong with plastic daisies?
Aerodynamics. Strip all the decoration off that wire basket and the air flows right through it.

The only comment I've ever had on my Forest Green women's Simcoe was from a guy even older than me, who just said it was a really nice-looking bicycle. I think color does make a difference.
Old 10-15-18, 10:01 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 429 Posts
I see no problem, and should be no stigma attached to riding a step-thru frame. I can see many reasons why a step-thru would work better for some, as opposed to a horizontally top tubed bike. That being said, if you opt for a step-thru, just check that is isn't a "women's specific design". My wife's traditional horz.top tubed road bike is a WSD, and there is definitely a difference. It is geared to a shorter torso, longer legs of typical female anatomy. Works great for her, wouldn't work so great for a man with longer torso and shorter legs, as compared to a female of similar height.
Old 11-10-18, 10:56 PM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I ride a Miami Sun Traditional trike with the optional 7 speed and rear disk brake.
Much easier to get on or off than my bike, and it carries so much more stuff without a trailer.
Old 02-28-19, 06:54 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RichardHaas
I have a few bikes but the most comfortable for now is a cruiser style bike. Someone gave me a womens mountain bike and am now going through it for maintenance and cleanup.
I have a prosthetic left leg and sometimes the cruiser is a little hard to get on and off by swinging my good or bad leg over the saddle and top rail.
I am just wondering if many men ride a womens bike for ease of getting on and start going. Once I am going, I feel good with the cruiser but it is only a 7 speed and inclines give me a little trouble if I haven't built up enough speed to compensate for the incline.
I am 73 years old and just bike for the exercise and scenery viewing along local greenways. I don't ride roads because I don't trust my riding and others in cars don't seem to care or lookout for a bike rider.
The gearing would be great with the mountain bike since I would have many more to choose from and getting on and off would be a lot better also.
Do many men ride womens bikes**********?
Just something that popped in my head while working on it and just wondering about it.
Any comments about this would be great.

Thanks
Richard
sir that terminology went out with the dail phone,,,,,,, what you have now is a step thru frame which is very comfortable and convenient,,,, I my opinion that should be the classic frame design for men's bikes, less danger for those sudden stops or when your foot slips off the pedal and your body impacts the top tube,,,,,, I have two of them.......bikes that is........
Old 03-02-19, 06:34 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
You're 73. Ride what you want!
And describe bicycle frame styles as you see fit, especially when it is in agreement with how probably the majority of people describe such bicycles.
Old 03-04-19, 11:20 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
My Folding bikes all have a low frame tube, so, functionally, a step through..

Old 03-12-19, 06:49 AM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by kidshibuya
The idea of men's and women's products is pure marketing, they realised they could change the package colour and magically make more money. It's amazing how well marketing can work as mental conditioning, we all think men's and women's specific products are normal, they aren't.

Women are human also, they can ride normal human bikes, they have no need for different geometry.
really, really good answer: pure marketing.

sure when we were kids we thought a 'girls bike' really was a girls bike. didn't matter though, way back in the day kids knew how to have fun...and we had a garage full of fun.

bikes?

yep, tons of them for our big family and we rode them all. some were too big and some were 'girls bikes'...and yes i would ride them again if i needed to. hmmmm...

still do.

a friend of mine is handicapped, so i bought a tandem bicycle. the back of the bicycle is a mixte frame, um he likes that a whole lot. but marketing doesn't affect him much and away we go.

just checked my Schwinn Air Dyne indoor bike, and what do you know, it is a 'girls bike'. ...and i wouldn't have it any other way. this is an old indoor exercise bike that gives upper and lower body work outs. great machine, built tough and available on Craigs list, help yourself.

a good cure for marketing BTW is just turn it off and leave it off. could be the TV, catch my drift: why bother?
Old 04-06-19, 08:26 PM
Kent T

Bikes: 2002 Trek 800 Singletrack, 1982 Bridgestone Spica

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
A Mixte is a universal, accessible frame to Europeans. My bike must suit me (I wear Braces, Allard BlueRockers to be exact), and my needs. I have long ago not cared about what people think. Steel has no gender. My next bike will be a Mixte (with Cerebral Palsy and Spina Bifida, easier for me to mount). I prefer to ride, and to enjoy life and grin. I am about function over perceptions. I was Hybrid before Toyota conceived one (part pedaling, part pushing, part hopping). So do what works best for you, and be your own trendsetter and Freak. I am who I am. Those who know me, know this. I set trends, not follow them. Do your own thing. I support you being you.
Likes For Kent T:
Old 05-17-19, 12:55 PM
K R

Bikes: 2006 Lemond Reno, 2018 Specialized Diverge Comp

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just went shopping for a hardtail MTB for me and DW. We're both fairly compact and she fits nicely on a W's small I find I'm somewhere between a Small and Medium Men's bike. A lot of men's mediums size up including going from a 27.5 to a 700c tire and with my 720mm inseam a bike with a 770mm stand-over is a problem. I've had the bad experience of a quick stop and meeting the Top Tube experience and don't wish to repeat it, also I've had my back surgery and don't bend as well as I used to and with disc compression and 72 years young I'm 5'8" going on 5'6" a bit short coupled so a shorter reach is a benefit. Found a Women's Medium that checked all the boxes and fit right in between the men's Small and Medium. Also rather than a step through simply curved the top tube down a couple of cm's giving a stand-over height of just under 690mm, appreciated clearance (seems this is a trend going on with several unisex makers as well (check the REI dirt series). As an added bonus, it's black!

When we got our Diverges last year DW hated the Women's color scheme so she got the Men's with a bar and seat swap, she loves it. So... if she can ride the men's I have no issue with a bike that fits even if it was marked by some marketer as a Women's. I agree with the general sentiment that if "it fits, I sits".
Likes For K R:
Old 05-17-19, 05:39 PM
Kent T

Bikes: 2002 Trek 800 Singletrack, 1982 Bridgestone Spica

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by K R
Just went shopping for a hardtail MTB for me and DW. We're both fairly compact and she fits nicely on a W's small I find I'm somewhere between a Small and Medium Men's bike. A lot of men's mediums size up including going from a 27.5 to a 700c tire and with my 720mm inseam a bike with a 770mm stand-over is a problem. I've had the bad experience of a quick stop and meeting the Top Tube experience and don't wish to repeat it, also I've had my back surgery and don't bend as well as I used to and with disc compression and 72 years young I'm 5'8" going on 5'6" a bit short coupled so a shorter reach is a benefit. Found a Women's Medium that checked all the boxes and fit right in between the men's Small and Medium. Also rather than a step through simply curved the top tube down a couple of cm's giving a stand-over height of just under 690mm, appreciated clearance (seems this is a trend going on with several unisex makers as well (check the REI dirt series). As an added bonus, it's black!

When we got our Diverges last year DW hated the Women's color scheme so she got the Men's with a bar and seat swap, she loves it. So... if she can ride the men's I have no issue with a bike that fits even if it was marked by some marketer as a Women's. I agree with the general sentiment that if "it fits, I sits".

If it fits, it sits, and it shifts, and I can mount it, I ride it. Function follows form (those who adapt, keep riding and enjoying their ride). Glad to see you riding and enjoying it more.
Old 05-18-19, 04:29 AM
medic75

Bikes: '19 Trek Stache 5, '17 DB Hannjo Trail, '09 Scott CR1 Pro, Schwinn Central commuter, '16 DB El Oso

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
I was recently looking into this for my son. He is a bit short, but at 11 years old I expect him to shoot up at any time. I want to get him a capable mountain bike, but I want something that he will get a couple of decent years out of before he outgrows it. To make a long story short, I was looking at the Trek Marlin & Roscoe models. I noticed that there is no difference in frame geometry when it comes to the WSD bikes. For these two models the WSD features are essentially different saddles & bars with a redesigned top tube on the Marlin to achieve a lower stand-over height. I cannot say this is the case for all WSD design bikes, but it wouldn't shock me at all it the manufacturers retained the same geometry for all of their WSD design bikes.

Finally, to add some confusion to this, Trek's FX line has "stagger" in addition to WSD bikes. You can get a stagger without the WSD design features & you can get a WSD bike that is not a stagger or step-through frame. I haven't compared geometry on these, but I would also expect them all to be the same.
Old 05-18-19, 07:06 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 89 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
My daily commuter

Heck, I woulda thought that was just a 23cm C-C compact men's frame !!!

Last edited by Brocephus; 05-18-19 at 07:13 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.