Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Cyclocross Racing
Reload this Page >

Attended my First CX Race

Notices
Cyclocross Racing Discuss pro racing, the big races, and even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Old 11-04-18, 07:19 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 127 Posts

I watch all CX races on YouTube and really enjoy the sport. The PanAm race was 1.5hr north of where I live and just got back from a fun filled day. In fact it’s the first professional race I’ve seen live (I participated in Paris 2 Ancaster, which has pros, but many more amateurs so quite different). It was awesome

Got to watch the U23 ladies and men, followed by the Elites. Canada represented well with a 2nd in the elite men’s and gold in women’s, but I was cheering for everyone. Really enjoyed the U23 ladies, Incould really here their effort and caught them smiling at the sheer enjoyment some of them were having.

Really fun all day with great fans, just not many of them
Old 11-05-18, 08:22 AM
JeffOYB

Bikes: Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Nice! CX is fun to spectate and be a fan of. I hope there was at least some interesting noise making. I like it when brass instruments come out.
Old 11-05-18, 08:36 AM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffOYB
Nice! CX is fun to spectate and be a fan of. I hope there was at least some interesting noise making. I like it when brass instruments come out.
No brass or anything close to a spectacle!
Old 11-06-18, 07:29 AM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Have been lucky enough to live close to a lot of good C1 races over the last few years. in RI they used to have 2 C1/C2 race weekends that were packed because it was in Providence and one near Prov. with easy access. (unfortunately the venue became cost prohibitive and moved to the middle of nowhere CT and that atmosphere was gone). But in those years was able to meet and chat with a ton of the top pro's who are extremely nice and welcoming to fans. Jpow, Tim Johnson, Katie Keough, Ellen Noble, Steven Hyde, Emma White etc.. Hell I even saw Ted King just there to watch with the Cdale tent.

Then 2 years ago we had Nationals here in Hartford, decent amount of people but paid parking and the weather did not help get a better crowd. It was a damn good race though.

Last edited by Jakedatc; 11-06-18 at 07:35 AM.
Old 11-06-18, 07:43 AM
JeffOYB

Bikes: Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Paid parking impedes? Every city has ballsport parks that attract thousands every weekend that all have very high prices in every regard. Same w every music concert or other show. Money is no factor. In fact higher fees usually indicate more popularity.

Sure, one demographic likes to sit in a park for free.

But marketing knows that ppl can be readily persuaded to pay a lot to go out and see something.

Football also is often very very uncomfortable -- sitting in bleachers in nasty cold weather. Bad weather is just another opportunity to sell.

Anyway, the Worlds in Louisville drew 10k paying. Not bad for a first try! I wonder if our other WC races have fees. I went to Trek last yr, no fee as i recall. it would not have mattered. I paid something to get there and while i was there. Fees irrelevant to me and also to 90% of the population.