Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Do you wear a helmet?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Do you wear a helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-19, 06:52 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 166 Posts
When I do it's a hair net. Lately I haven't been.
Old 09-01-19, 09:31 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 259 Posts
This is my favorite helmet. The padding is excellent and it is very comfortable.
GUB City size L (56-60cm) 18 vents 261 grams
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GUB-Bicycle...em4d770015e9:m
available in four colors: RED, WHITE, BLUE, and BLACK
I own several in the in RED, WHITE and BLUE. I do not care for the Black color unless I was in the frozen tundra snowbelt in winter with snow everywhere.
I purchased all of mine from different sources - Not from this one with the link above. This seller has good ratings, I'm not saying don't use them, I am simply stating I purchased them from several others. I really like this helmet. I have been wearing this exact helmet since early 2018.
****You might find it at a better price if you search among the many huge China based(shen zhen or hong kong) sellers on the bay.
on the bay#332708976105 is just one seller, search there and you'll find plenty of others.

Another helmet that some of you might find particularly useful if you ride at dawn or dusk.
There is a seller on the bay called: rockbros , rated 99.3% based in china ROCKBROS has a great helmet in a MUSTARD YELLOW that has excellent built in lighting. This ROCKBROS helmet is also available in WHITE (great color, but the version in MUSTARD YELLOW is the most visible in my opinion). It is also available in BLUE and BLACK also. I would avoid the color BLACK unless you live in the Snowbelt and will be riding when there is a background of snow. Other sellers on the bay carry the ROCKBROS helmet too, and they may or may not be more expensive.....you just have to check periodically, as pricing varies at times.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ROCKBROS-Ul...rkparms=aid%3D

ROCKBROS helmet on the bay YELLOW #202243527140 RED#312077142912 WHITE#202243525181 RED#401792818001

------------------------------------------------------------
With all due respect to the fine gentleman from Michigan, ( Rick 53) and post #95 8-26, about flat tires being much more likely than crashes.....
..............YES, THIS IS TRUE, BUT FOLKS DO HIT THE PAVEMENT MUCH MORE OFTEN THAN YOU'D EXPECT. ASK ANY ORTHOPAEDIC SURGEON or TRAUMA SURGEON. EVERYONE ALWAYS THINKS, OH YEAH, IT WON'T BE ME, BUT IT DOES HAPPEN MUCH MORE FREQUENTLY THAN YOU'D BELIEVE. OFTEN, THERE IS NO AUTOMOBILE OR PEDESTRIAN INVOLVED IN SUCH AN ACCIDENT.
THEY ARE ACCIDENTS. NOBODY EXPECTS THEM TO HAPPEN, BUT FOR WHATEVER REASON, THEY HAPPEN FROM TIME TO TIME!
BARE SKULL KISSING THE PAVEMENT WITH EVEN A SLIGHT GLANCING BLOW COULD CAUSE YOU SEVERE TRAUMA. WHY DEPEND ON JUST YOUR HARD HEAD, YOUR CAT-LIKE REFLEXES AND HOPEFULLY YOUR ARMS/HANDS TO PROVIDE THE ONLY PROTECTION.
Remember what I described much earlier in this topic thread about the CRACKED WATERMELON..........well, there is something much more valuable being guarded by your skull........................................Many people love you. Listen to their suggestions and wear your Helmet.
Get one from Wally World or Tar-Jay or any $8 china bay seller with free shipping will be fine as it WILL BE BETTER than just your hair and skull alone.
Go talk with any ER docs, or ER nurses. Next time you tee it up and see some docs that you recognize that are playing in the foursome ahead or behind yours.....or at the 19th hole.....or at a TriAthlon, or 13.1 race, or marathon, etc......or at the grocery store, or wherever you see the doc.................--ASK them how frequently do they see such BICYCLE SPILLS where some dumb-A zz that didn't see the need for a helmet, really got a bad head injury or checked-out as an organ donor because of the belief that oh it won't happen to me. Well, as you all know, bicycles are capable of higher speeds than say was possible in 1969 or 1970 when Schwinn ruled the world and when a 27 pound , ten speed bicycle was considered a Light and fast bicycle. You all know physics. Even if you fall over while decelerating to a stop or at below 8 miles per hour, you can get seriously hurt just from falling IF YOU ARE UNLUCKY ENOUGH TO HIT WITH THE BARE SKULL. Just remember that ancient L'OREAL commercial, "You Are Worth IT! "
You don't unfortunately get a do-over if your luck does run out and you get a severe blow to the head, or worse.
Old 09-14-19, 09:54 PM
Ardrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Absolutely. A Specialized Chamonix in black. Can't understand why anyone wouldn't wear one. All it takes is one accident.
Old 09-16-19, 01:15 PM
buycycle

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I, too, always wear a helmet. And after years of doing so, I don't even notice that I'm wearing it anymore. (Though I expect I would if I took a tumble, or rode to close under a tree branch!)
Old 09-20-19, 08:55 AM
rvp12

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X Comp 2020

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, initially it was not something which came natural , but over time it changed .... Specialized Echelon ....
Old 09-20-19, 10:15 AM
smullen

Bikes: Trek 4900, Giant Anthem x 29er 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
I don't currently, but I plan to get one and use it anytime I ride.

I have a full face that I wear on my ATV anytime I'm out of the yard, or if I take our SideXSide to the OHV parks...
Old 09-22-19, 04:07 PM
Alleytom

Bikes: 92 GT Arette, 78 Paramount, 2012 Pugsley, Late 70s Gilmour, 74 Centurion LeMans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 35 Posts
I always wear one when on a bike, used to not wear my helmet when adjusting & testing out bikes up & down the street in front of my house. One day I was testing an old Schwinn and still not sure what happened but I ended up on the ground and hit my head pretty hard. I think a pedal hit the ground as I was cornering. Could have been much worse, luckily no lasting damage (physically at least ), but now I always wear my helmet no matter how short the ride.
Old 09-30-19, 07:57 PM
Ai_Hia

Bikes: Giant Roam 3 disc 2018

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lab4Us
A few years back, stepped onto black ice in my driveway. Landed square on back of my head.
So...do you wear a helmet when you walk outside now? 🤔
Old 09-30-19, 10:33 PM
Meech33

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 38 Posts
Wear my helmet every single time I'm on two wheels......just not worth the risk.
Old 10-01-19, 04:40 AM
Lab4Us

Bikes: Trek Dual Sport 3 in Volt

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Ai_Hia
So...do you wear a helmet when you walk outside now? 🤔
Suppose I could just mention that you’ve seemed to miss the point entirely, but I’ll just share that I make a point to try and avoid walking on black ice - that’s ice that you can’t see, since you don’t seem to have that knowledge. I’ve noticed this board seems to have more than it’s share of folks that go out of their way to be as unhelpful as possible.
Old 10-01-19, 05:04 AM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
I do, 100% of the time I am on the bike. I've had two crashes where my helmet has sacrificed itself, one a self-inflicted crash in a roundabout less than a mile from my house in 2001, the other when a car plowed into me broadside less than 1/4 mile from the hotel I was staying at in 2003, sending me airborne.

So, for me the "short trip" arguments don't hold much water.
Old 10-01-19, 10:27 AM
Ai_Hia

Bikes: Giant Roam 3 disc 2018

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't experience black ice here. Sound dangerous. Seems like you should be wearing a helmet more often then.
Old 10-06-19, 04:26 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 259 Posts
Watching CBS right at this moment because the cat is on top of the remote control.
PBR (professional bull riding???) from Minneapolis is the telecast.
I've been watching this for the past 23 minutes since We came back inside after a twenty mile ride today.
I am noticing that 75% of these BULL RIDERS are wearing some sort of a helmet. The other 25% are wearing the traditional J.R. EWING ten-gallon hats.
The crazy thing is that there appears to be NO STANDARD bull riding helmet, as it appears that those BULL RIDERS that have chosen to wear a helmet are picking whatever they feel might work for them as I've seen MOTORCYCLE HELMETS, FOOTBALL HELMETS, AND HOCKEY, maybe BASEBALL HELMETS.
These crazy bull riders realize that there are serious risks to bangin the ol noggin.
I'm just sayin that the folks that are wearing the helmets on the PBR realize that they may look like DOOFUSSES with their helmet on BUT THEY MUST BELIEVE THAT THERE IS SOME SUBSTANTIAL BENEFIT IN WEARING IT. Surely, they do go back to wearing the ol ten-gallon hat after their ride is complete.
The #1 ranked BULL RIDER in the World, a Brazilian, only wears the ten-gallon hat during the ride. Two other riders in the World's top four, also choose not to wear helmets, and simply do it with the J.R. EWING style hat.
Hey, if the majority of those crazy loco-yokos are donning HELMETS, it means that they know what a serious risk it could be to BANG YER HEAD.
Lets hope all your rides are smooth but there is always a very very small possibility of Going Down Down Down.........for whatever reason.
Realistically, you can't practically protect yourself from every risk, or you'd be DRESSED LIKE NFL LINEBACKER or A BOMBSQUAD DEFUSING TECHNICIAN. The helmet is practical, relatively inexpensive and does not detract from enjoying your rides. You are worth it!
Old 10-06-19, 04:31 PM
Lab4Us

Bikes: Trek Dual Sport 3 in Volt

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
Wouldn’t “crazy” and “bull riders” be redundant? Just sayin...
Likes For Lab4Us:
Old 10-06-19, 04:53 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
I rode maybe 25 years without before trying MTB. First time out went over bars, thought it might be good idea to get one. Once I had one seemed silly not to wear it for road biking as well. Streets only in those days. Still, I remember non cycling friends calling me bucket head or some such nonsense whenever they would see me wearing that thing. Now that MUPs are a thing I often don't if just out for a ride with my wife. I perceive road riding (in street) to be fairly high risk. I perceive riding on MUP not much more if any more unsafe than jogging, navigating stairs, walking on snow, walking on uneven sidewalks etc.