Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Recommend 26 rear wheel disc for road tire

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Old 06-05-19, 09:13 AM
Skankingbiker

Bikes: AllCity Nature Boy, On-one Pompino) , Fuji Roubaix road bike, Niner EMD, Voodoo Hoodoo MTB, Surly Pugsley/Krampug, Performer Midracer Custom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Looking for a lightweight 26 rear wheel that takes a disc brake and will work with 1 1/8 tire. Can't seem to find anything other than questionable fare at Aliexpress.
Old 06-05-19, 10:27 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Rightly or wrongly, the 26" format is not much developed from a performance standpoint. "Lightweight" needs to be defined, I think. My Performer Highracer is a performance bike and built for speed and it has 26" disc wheels. It came with 1.4" tires but I would think nothing of using tires as small as 1" and up to 2" and I would not even get calipers out to measure the width of the rim. Nevertheless I would fully expect to have no issues. I've used all kinds of tires on my rims and have never measured a rim yet. So find yourself a 26" disc wheel within your budget. Call it good. It will be.

Edit: As you can see, decent wheels cost quite a bit of money. You need a 'front wheel' I suspect but we're still talking 3 figures for 'good' (lightweight) stuff. If I wanted a wheel I would hit up a local bike co-op and see what they had available .
Old 06-05-19, 10:46 AM
Skankingbiker

Bikes: AllCity Nature Boy, On-one Pompino) , Fuji Roubaix road bike, Niner EMD, Voodoo Hoodoo MTB, Surly Pugsley/Krampug, Performer Midracer Custom

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Rightly or wrongly, the 26" format is not much developed from a performance standpoint. "Lightweight" needs to be defined, I think. My Performer Highracer is a performance bike and built for speed and it has 26" disc wheels. It came with 1.4" tires but I would think nothing of using tires as small as 1" and up to 2" and I would not even get calipers out to measure the width of the rim. Nevertheless I would fully expect to have no issues. I've used all kinds of tires on my rims and have never measured a rim yet. So find yourself a 26" disc wheel within your budget. Call it good. It will be.

Edit: As you can see, decent wheels cost quite a bit of money. You need a 'front wheel' I suspect but we're still talking 3 figures for 'good' (lightweight) stuff. If I wanted a wheel I would hit up a local bike co-op and see what they had available .
3 figures is fine. Problem is most of the stuff I am seeing is 23 or 25 mm internal rim width, which is: a) heavy; and b) too wide for a narrow tire.
Old 06-05-19, 11:13 AM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by Skankingbiker
3 figures is fine. Problem is most of the stuff I am seeing is 23 or 25 mm internal rim width, which is: a) heavy; and b) too wide for a narrow tire.
Like I said I haven't even tried to find out what the internal rim width of any wheel I own is. I would think weight is more dependent on what the rim is made out of than a few mm of width. And I have no idea what would happen if someone mounted a 1" tire on a 25mm wide rim but I for one wouldn't worry about it.
Old 06-05-19, 11:26 AM
Skankingbiker

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
And I have no idea what would happen if someone mounted a 1" tire on a 25mm wide rim but I for one wouldn't worry about it.
I do. You would wind up denting the edge of the rim and increase potential for blowout because the tire is not wide enough to cover the rim edge. Sheldon Brown has/had a page on acceptable rim/tire widths, which I recall consulting 10+ years ago after I ruined a Sun Rhyno-lite 25mm rim by using it with a 1 tire for commuting.
Old 06-05-19, 01:27 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Most 26" wheels are ISO559 (559mm). The tires that go with the ISO559 rim are decimal (e.g., 1.25" width) not fractional such as the 1 1/8" you mention. The usual road tire closest to 1+1/8" is a 32C. You can find some rims with ISO650C (571mm) but those are much less common. See the rim explanation here https://www.sheldonbrown.com/rim-sizing.html.
Old 06-05-19, 03:02 PM
Skankingbiker

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Huh..my conti gatorskin says “28-558 (26 x 1 1/8)”
Old 06-05-19, 03:27 PM
Leisesturm

Huh..my conti gatorskin says “28-558 (26 x 1 1/8)”
That sounds about right. 32mm is closer to 1.5" (1-1/2")
Old 06-05-19, 03:36 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12635 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
Looking for a lightweight 26 rear wheel that takes a disc brake and will work with 1 1/8 tire. Can't seem to find anything other than questionable fare at Aliexpress.
I'd probably get one built. Sun EQ21 rims are nice and skinny and fairly light. Not sure what hub I'd pick, are those bikes 135mm in the back?

Oof, looks like those might be getting hard to find.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 06-05-19 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-05-19, 03:48 PM
Leisesturm

Well I've spent the last 15 minutes trying to find a wheel ... a rim even that allows a 28mm clincher to clear the sides by as much as the o.p. needs. That's about what I expected. With 26" life begins at 1.5". Tires exist right down to 25mm so someone is making wheelsets to match but I'm not finding them. Personally if it were me I'd be looking at 700C if I needed to run narrow section clinchers. 28mm is a very common width in that diameter and you don't have to spend a lot of time poking around in dusty corners of the internet to find them.
Old 06-05-19, 04:07 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

I found some EQ21s but on a Chinese site I'm unfamiliar with.

https://www.chinahao.com/product/13097478153/
Old 06-05-19, 04:11 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
https://www.vueltausa.com/vuelta-whe...lset-1453.html
Old 06-05-19, 04:11 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

There's always Velocity Dyads or Ailerons. Dyads are a little portly and pricey, Ailerons very pricey, and nearly as wide as Rhyno Lites.
https://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/dyad-26
Old 06-05-19, 04:14 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Those are pretty heavy and non-disc. I don't know if they ever came out with disc version, though.

EDIT: they have two 26" disc wheelsets, but I think the rims might be wider.

https://www.vueltausa.com/vuelta-whe...wheels-26.html

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 06-05-19 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-05-19, 04:20 PM
Steamer

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Those are pretty heavy and non-disc. I don't know if they ever came out with disc version, though.

EDIT: they have two 26" disc wheelsets, but I think the rims might be wider.

https://www.vueltausa.com/vuelta-whe...wheels-26.html
Yeah, but it was the only ones they make that published an internal rim width.

The OP should do some fishing. You know, an email or call to Vuelta to see what the rim widths of their disc wheels are.
Old 06-05-19, 04:24 PM
Steamer

https://www.bacchettabikes.com/produ...-clincher-set/

Don't know the width, but Bacchetta can tell you.
Old 06-06-19, 09:37 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Looking for a lightweight 26 rear wheel that takes a disc brake and will work with 1 1/8 tire.
What are you trying to accomplish?
Old 06-06-19, 09:48 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts
I have several sets of Velocity Dyads mated to Continental Gatorskin ((26x1.125) or (26x1&1/8) or (559x28c) all the same) tires and all seems to work out well among the bikes in my stable.

IIRC Dyads have a 19mm internal width & weigh approx 460-ish grams in 26 inch size.

Any ol' disc hub of the right OLD & spoke count would get you rolling. I like Hope for fronts, for no real particular reason. They just seem nice. My rear hubs coincidentally always end up being IGH for my 26inch wheeled bikes...but same-same...A wheel builder can make up anything you want.

Last edited by base2; 06-06-19 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-06-19, 11:25 AM
Skankingbiker

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
What are you trying to accomplish?
My ride (performer FWD) is currently a 20/20 set up. I am going to try 26/26. I already have a front 26 wheel that I got a few years back.

I am a little on the heavy side (215), and am getting a lot of flats on the 20/20 format, even with wider tires. They also do not hold speed very well.

Trying to get my bike set up where I can do longer country rides on the weekends (metrics, with the eventually goal of a full century this fall). Taller wheels should absorb bumps better and allow me to run skinnier tires than on the 20/20.

I already notice an increase in average speed with the 26 in the "back"--(Avg. 12 mpg w/ 20/20 vs 15 w/ 26/20, including hilly terrain)--although that makes the handling a little "twitchy" at speed due to decreased trail.

Yes, I know I will need to adjust my gearing to compensate.

I initially went with the 20/20 setup mostly to get used to the recumbent format, and now that I am comfortable on it, I want to be able to go "all in" and get back with my riding buddies on the weekend.
Old 06-06-19, 12:04 PM
Leisesturm

My ride (performer FWD) is currently a 20/20 set up. I am going to try 26/26. I already have a front 26 wheel that I got a few years back.

I am a little on the heavy side (215), and am getting a lot of flats on the 20/20 format, even with wider tires. They also do not hold speed very well.

Trying to get my bike set up where I can do longer country rides on the weekends (metrics, with the eventually goal of a full century this fall). Taller wheels should absorb bumps better and allow me to run skinnier tires than on the 20/20.

I already notice an increase in average speed with the 26 in the "back"--(Avg. 12 mpg w/ 20/20 vs 15 w/ 26/20, including hilly terrain)--although that makes the handling a little "twitchy" at speed due to decreased trail.

Yes, I know I will need to adjust my gearing to compensate.

I initially went with the 20/20 setup mostly to get used to the recumbent format, and now that I am comfortable on it, I want to be able to go "all in" and get back with my riding buddies on the weekend.
The 26" wheel you already own. What is it? Can you get another? If not you may just have to hold your nose and buy one with a wider width than is ideal and be a bit more careful. That is probably a given when riding recumbent. Your ability to throw the bike around like an extension of your body pretty much goes away. Even the manufacturers of highracers consider them to be open road craft that are at their best when free of road clutter like is found on most MUP's and Greenways. My Performer came with 1.4" (35mm) tires and presumably the rims are too wide for 25mm tires but that is exactly what I intend to do this summer. I wouldn't tell you to do anything I wouldn't do myself.

I suggested visiting a co-op and seeing what they had for sale. But ... and I'm just saying, you have appear to have 700C written all over you. That's what you should have thrown money at. And, as long as I'm making you hate me, I may as well tell you now that I don't think it is realistic to expect a satisfying experience riding with the DF gang going forward. You can't draft them, they can't draft you. You will zig when they zag and zag when they zig and yeah, it can work (kind of) because you're buds and are going to try and make it work. How often? Weekly? No. They are going to need to blow off steam and really hammer it more often than that. You too if you get any good at the highracer handling thing. It's like becoming a Vampire or Werewolf. You've got to make new friends that are like you. Welcome to the Dark Side. BTW flats have nothing to do with tire diameter and everything to do with brand and model. Bontrager Hardcase Series tires do not flat. That is my small sample size anecdotal experience. With tires in both the 26" x 2.0" and 700C x 25mm size I have not experienced a flat with the Bonties. I didn't want to have flats each ride like with Kenda Quests or weekly with Big Apples but ... never? I'm beginning to feel survivors guilt complex.
Old 06-06-19, 02:42 PM
Skankingbiker

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
The 26" wheel you already own. What is it? Can you get another? If not you may just have to hold your nose and buy one with a wider width than is ideal and be a bit more careful. That is probably a given when riding recumbent. Your ability to throw the bike around like an extension of your body pretty much goes away. Even the manufacturers of highracers consider them to be open road craft that are at their best when free of road clutter like is found on most MUP's and Greenways. My Performer came with 1.4" (35mm) tires and presumably the rims are too wide for 25mm tires but that is exactly what I intend to do this summer. I wouldn't tell you to do anything I wouldn't do myself.

I suggested visiting a co-op and seeing what they had for sale. But ... and I'm just saying, you have appear to have 700C written all over you. That's what you should have thrown money at. And, as long as I'm making you hate me, I may as well tell you now that I don't think it is realistic to expect a satisfying experience riding with the DF gang going forward. You can't draft them, they can't draft you. You will zig when they zag and zag when they zig and yeah, it can work (kind of) because you're buds and are going to try and make it work. How often? Weekly? No. They are going to need to blow off steam and really hammer it more often than that. You too if you get any good at the highracer handling thing. It's like becoming a Vampire or Werewolf. You've got to make new friends that are like you. Welcome to the Dark Side. BTW flats have nothing to do with tire diameter and everything to do with brand and model. Bontrager Hardcase Series tires do not flat. That is my small sample size anecdotal experience. With tires in both the 26" x 2.0" and 700C x 25mm size I have not experienced a flat with the Bonties. I didn't want to have flats each ride like with Kenda Quests or weekly with Big Apples but ... never? I'm beginning to feel survivors guilt complex.
I appreciate your honest insights. 700cc is a no go for me because my legs are short and I wont be able to touch the ground. The group I ride with doesn't do pacelines or draft. Its very informal, not a typical "roadie" club. I don't need or expect to keep pace entirely with them...just keep up enough to arrive at midpoint coffee/beer stops with time to socialize and not really hold them back. Given my weight, I wasn't particularly "fast" to begin with.

The front wheel I have was a one-off mislisted/mispriced on amazon. It seems easier to buy a front 26 wheel only vs a rear only for some reason.

I may very well just wind up ordering the parts and brushing off my wheelbuilding book--although I never got particularly good at dishing for rear wheels.
Old 06-06-19, 09:21 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 367 Posts
FWIW: Continental has always gone against convention when labeling their tires. What they call "26 x 1 1/8"" and "20 x 1 1/8"" I would call "26 x 1.1"" and "20 x 1.1"". That's why I like the ISO/ETRTO time nomenclature: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

The reason why you don't find 26" wheels with a narrow rims better suited for that tire is that there's no market for it. 26" wheels are generally for mountain bikes and mountain bike tires are usually 1.5" wide or wider.

There was a brief period in the late '80's when mountain bikes came equipped with very narrow (19mm outside width) rims matched with 2" wide tires. These were very light but wide tires were hard to mount. They disappeared by about 1991.

I have several Matrix (Trek) brand rims from this era in my pile of oddball bike parts. I could build a wheel (or matching pair) for you if you'd like, but I have my own bike to build. (See my thread about my cracked Gold Rush frame.) The rims are 36-hole so they would be essentially bombproof.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 06-06-19, 11:28 PM
Skankingbiker

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
After Consulting some tire/ Rim charts, Looks like a 1.1 Tire will work with a 19 mm rim... that opens things up a bit
Old 06-09-19, 01:14 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
The reason why you don't find 26" wheels with a narrow rims better suited for that tire is that there's no market for it. 26" wheels are generally for mountain bikes and mountain bike tires are usually 1.5" wide or wider.
Don't even get me started on why my Baron Low was designed to use a BMX front wheel and a mountain bike rear wheel. In its current incarnation, it is using a Velocity Thracian front wheel and a Rev-X 650C rear wheel.
Old 06-17-19, 05:14 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
No problems finding 26in disc wheels with 17/19,, rims over here on UK ebay. The problem i had recently was finding ones over 21mm...