Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

My Lucky Day! Reach Racing!

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-19, 03:41 PM
Kspeed888

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hello I've been a lurker on this forum for a very long time. I currently have about 10 bikes, 8 folding 2 non. But I finally thought I have something that's worth posting. I live in a small town called New York City. Last night I was out with my girlfriend for Hotpot. And I walked passed a very small bicycle shop. They have mostly cheap beater fixed gear bikes and a couple decent road bikes at the window display. But at the corner of the wall hanging upside down I saw a small silver wheeled bike with "PAC" showing. I thought hmmm interesting... I walked in and it was what I thought it was! Pacific Cycle bike!!! I tried to stay claimed and pretend it was no big deal. I asked how much it was and left for Hotpot. It took my so many hours of convincing my GF for me to get another bike. But she finally gave in! I went back to the shop today and offered $680 cash and the owner was happy. His asking price was $700, I didn't want to go too low. The bike was brand new!! It still have all the bubble wraps and came with what believe I a transport bag!!! After I got home and made some adjustments. I gave it a quick 10 miles ride around my neighborhood. It's was a blast! The bike really absorbed allot of the bumps on the road! So sorry it been a very long post... I'm still learning about the bike and any other Reach owner please chime in. I do plan on doing some upgrades first with the stem and then the saddle. Any input you guys have in that area would be great!
Old 09-15-19, 03:41 PM
Kspeed888

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I tried to post a pic but it wouldn't let me because I don't have enough post...
Old 09-15-19, 04:14 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Looking forward to pics of your machine. I have never heard of this brand.

Small city, eh?
Old 09-15-19, 05:14 PM
Roegmann

Bikes: Pacific Cycles GT, Downtube Mini 2015 version, LitePro Crius 14"

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congrats

I have the Pacific Cycles Reach GT in blue. I got it from David Lam at Bfold bikes in your small berg.

I’ve not done any modifications. I’m too cheap. I wait until the offending component wears out or frustrates me too much. I did put wider 451’s on it (actually David did it gratis) and I changed the seat.

The thing is wicked fast. Enjoy it. Here’s a link to a blog I follow and they ride different PCs exclusively
https://www.foldingtales.com/
Old 09-15-19, 08:20 PM
ro-monster

Bikes: Pacific Reach, Strida

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, you were really lucky to find that!

I have a Pacific Reach City, about 10 or 11 years old, that I still ride and love. I wish it was possible to obtain the new frames with the disc brakes, though. The rim brakes are about the only part of my bike that I dislike. I've done a few mods, but nothing major.
Old 09-16-19, 03:54 PM
Kspeed888

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I did some research my bike is around 10 years old. Everything on the bike is perfect just need a shorter stem.
Likes For Kspeed888:
Old 09-16-19, 03:56 PM
Kspeed888

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ro-monster
Wow, you were really lucky to find that!

I have a Pacific Reach City, about 10 or 11 years old, that I still ride and love. I wish it was possible to obtain the new frames with the disc brakes, though. The rim brakes are about the only part of my bike that I dislike. I've done a few mods, but nothing major.
Monster can you post a picture of your bike? The Reach City should have flat bar correct?
Old 09-16-19, 03:58 PM
Kspeed888

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Roegmann
I have the Pacific Cycles Reach GT in blue. I got it from David Lam at Bfold bikes in your small berg.

I’ve not done any modifications. I’m too cheap. I wait until the offending component wears out or frustrates me too much. I did put wider 451’s on it (actually David did it gratis) and I changed the seat.

The thing is wicked fast. Enjoy it. Here’s a link to a blog I follow and they ride different PCs exclusively
https://www.foldingtales.com/
I actually worked for David for a summer. I remembered he had a red and white Super light. I drooled over everyday until it was sold to someone in Florida.
Old 09-16-19, 04:30 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,814 Times in 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
I have never heard of this brand.
Pacific Cycle here in the USA is a purveyor of inexpensive bicycles sold in big box stores.

The company we're actually discussing here is Pacific Cycles (Cycles), a Taiwanese-based manufacturer of the respected and well-known Birdy, CarryMe, IF and Reach folding bicycles.

Pacific Cycles
Likes For tcs:
Old 09-16-19, 05:30 PM
Roegmann

Bikes: Pacific Cycles GT, Downtube Mini 2015 version, LitePro Crius 14"

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The PC Monster did come with flat front bars; also, front and back touring racks.

About 18 months ago, David was darn near giving away his PC IF. I kick myself to this day for not it getting it.
Old 09-17-19, 08:42 AM
grayrest

Bikes: Birdy, Orbea Gain, Optima Baron, SatRDay

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
What's the fold on that? It looks like a Birdy fold with a trailing link front suspension instead of a leading link so you'd have to spin the handlebars around?
Old 09-17-19, 09:03 AM
ro-monster

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kspeed888
Monster can you post a picture of your bike? The Reach City should have flat bar correct?
I can get some pictures this weekend. My bike is definitely older than yours, judging by the frame style; I bought it used so my age estimate might be off. When I got it, it had riser bars but I swapped those out for flat ones.
Old 09-17-19, 09:08 AM
ro-monster

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by grayrest
What's the fold on that? It looks like a Birdy fold with a trailing link front suspension instead of a leading link so you'd have to spin the handlebars around?
The Reach isn't a proper folder. It's a travel bike that can be packed in a suitcase. I mean, it does fold, but you have to remove the front wheel, so it's not all that practical to fold it on a frequent basis. Once the wheel is taken off, you open the quick release near the rear suspension and the entire rear triangle folds into the front fork.
Old 09-17-19, 10:58 AM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
That's cool. I remember seeing more ads for them a few years back, and was wondering if I should pursue one, but I was happy enough with my Brompton. Good for you!
Old 09-25-19, 11:28 AM
krazebill

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I stumbled across a Fuji Folding bike from mid 90's that was a Marlboro Promotion. You saved up "Marlboro Miles" and then you get the catalogue and buy stuff with your "miles". Well, Fuji put Marlboro Head Stickers on and after consuming about 400 packs of cigarettes you could turn in your miles and $100.00 and get this bike. I found one just a couple years ago in MINT condition. Gal said her dad got it from Marlboro rode it once and then soon after died of emphysema.
There is a Fuji folding bike for sale right now in the Houston area