Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Maybe this will help someone

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Maybe this will help someone

Old 09-24-19, 11:29 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
The route planning, and Google is very useful with that, is often overlooked or neglected.
As long as one realizes that Google has limitations. I've been badly misled by Google Maps a few times, including being routed on a road bike through a trail that was only used by powered dirt bikes.

My recommendation if you're using it to route a commute through places you're not familiar with is to "audition" the route by riding it first when you're not hurrying to get to work.
Old 09-24-19, 11:48 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
A quick review of the OPs history shows he's no troll. For the life of me I do not understand or find value in people routinely turning on an OP. When you see these mid-thread spats between members, there are common denominators.
There are some OPs that invite refutation--ones that make bogus health claims, denigrate types of riding, denigrate other groups of people, etc.

But this one was so innocuous, I couldn't see any justification for it. I think it was probably a great OP for airing a few "different ways to skin the cat" suggestions in a polite manner, but attacking the guy's writing style, shirt color, etc. was just plain obnoxious. Hope he/she comes back.