Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Orange Seal seeping out of three holes in front tyre; worth fixing tyre?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Orange Seal seeping out of three holes in front tyre; worth fixing tyre?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-19, 09:45 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
@2manybikes 3,700km on this particular tyre.

@Sy Reene Correct. I wasn't aware the manufacture of the tyre was up for debate. I would gladly have shared the information.
Old 10-08-19, 09:56 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Sy Reene Correct. I wasn't aware the manufacture of the tyre was up for debate. I would gladly have shared the information.
Yeah, I'm optimistic about your tires.

I was more curious about eduskator's tires, which are apparently made out of cheese.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-09-19, 03:43 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
What pressure are you at. It may have trouble sealing if the pressure is too high. Imo tubes are better if you are above 80 psi or so.
Old 10-09-19, 06:25 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
What pressure are you at. It may have trouble sealing if the pressure is too high. Imo tubes are better if you are above 80 psi or so.
OS has no issues with holes that size at 80psi (or even 100, in my experience). I've only had one hole that OS didn't permanently seal, and it was recent - it was a 5mm/3/16" cut @ 75psi.
Old 10-09-19, 03:12 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
That sealant looks like crap to me - watery, bubbly. Definitely not fresh - OS should look like slightly orange-tinted half & half, not.... that. Take off the tire, clean out the old stuff, put in new sealant - I bet they'll close. Tread looks like there's a lot of life left in the tires.
If you're already taking the tire off and cleaning it out, may as well sand and glue patches over the 3 holes (from the inside). Makes no sense to do all that and not bother to patch it while it's off.
Old 10-09-19, 03:30 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography
If you're already taking the tire off and cleaning it out, may as well sand and glue patches over the 3 holes (from the inside). Makes no sense to do all that and not bother to patch it while it's off.
I'd just pop one bead off and mop up the residual with a rag or paper towels, put in new sealant and reinflate. That's a far cry from what you're suggesting. If I had reason to doubt that they'd close, I guess I'd take your course of action, but again - my experience with OS doesn't give me a reason to doubt when it comes to leaks of that size.

IIRC, you made a practice of pulling and patching every time you got a puncture with Stan's because it wouldn't hold road pressures. That's crazy, IMO - I'd have given up tubeless in less than a season if that was my experience with it.