Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Free Spirit Fast Track woman's mountain bike 12 speed

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-19, 10:07 AM
deacon ed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I am Ed and this is the first time ever that I am trying to post something to a forum. If I am making mistakes please forgive me and let me know so I can correct the behavior. I am 67 and recovering from back and hip surgery. Bicycling is the exercise recommended by my doctors as the safest thing to do. A friend from church gave me a 12 speed woman's (yes I need a woman's bike as I cannot stand on the pedal and throw my leg over as I did as a child) Free Spirit Fast Track Mountain System bike. It appears to be in very good shape except for one flat front tire. Two questions, Is this bike too complicated for my use? What is it worth? I do not know if it will need more repairs than the tire. I will find out when I take it to a local buke shop. Thank you for your time and consideration. It is much appreciated.
Old 09-30-19, 01:30 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,206 Posts
"Is this bike too complicated for my use?"

It's just a bicycle, so I doubt it.

"What is it worth?"

Not much. Free Spirits are low-level department store bikes. I doubt you could get $100 for it. It might be difficulty to get $50 for it. So be careful investing too much at your shop. This sort of bike rarely increases in much value after investing work and cash.
Old 09-30-19, 10:07 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Hi Ed, as said above, these are low end bikes and not worth much, but a low end bike is probably better than no bike at all. The trouble is that if you spend much on it, you will be spending more than it is worth. Do you know anyone near you who works on bikes who might help? If you or a friend can fix it up a bit without spending much on it, it may be good enough to help you get back in shape. Bike shops can be pretty expensive.
Old 10-01-19, 10:48 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
@deacon ed, I don't see a photo. Upload a couple to your album:

https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/506695

Free Spirit was sold by Sears, I think. They are usually pretty mediocre bikes as mentioned above. But, just to get out and pedal a bit, it could be just perfect for your needs.

Take it to a shop. Get a quote. Don't invest a lot in it. But, it may be just what you need for a solid commuter bike.

Don't be surprised if you can spend $100 on it very quickly. But, if you have a solid rideable bike for $100... at least you haven't bought a new bike for $1000.