Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cold weather gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-19, 03:41 AM
Lenton58 

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star, Woodrup, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
I don't live in the coldest of climates, but it does freeze up at sea-level. I use old SKI WEAR. I have cotton layers underneath an insulated ski anorak, and then a zipped ski jacket wind shell. When I get hot, I unzip the jacket, unzip the short zip on the anorak ... and push up my sleeves. Down below, I wear my usual tights with sweat pants over them ... and long soccer socks with the feet cut off to act as gaiters to keep the sweats off the chain and out of the wind. I wear a cheap balaclava under my helmet pulled down over my ears. Plastic frame glasses, ski gloves. Thick woollen socks. Yes, I do get cold feet. whaddya want, perfection!??? Stay at home. LOL ))))))
Old 10-10-19, 01:48 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Clothing System

Originally Posted by TriBiker19
I'm a runner. Have run in -14F, but bike is a completely different beast. I'd like to stay off the trainer until the snow falls, but we're already down to mid 40s during the day.

What do I wear on a ride? It gets colder in lower temperatures. Do I need windproof shirts? Sleeves? I was so cold on my last ride (48 degrees). I do wear gloves, but they're fingerless. My hands weren't cold, just my arms.

I have lots of run clothes and I can wear them, but I'm worried I'll get too warm and I'm not sure where to store them. (This is so much easier when you run and just tie a jacket around your waist.)

Suggestions for necessity clothing? Where do I stash it if I get too hot or keep it if I think I might get too cold? Can I wear a knit hat under my helmet or is that going to screw up the placement?
This is really a pretty good guide for what to wear when: https://45nrth.com/blog/post/what-to-wear-25-to-10

You certainly don't need to go with their products, however those I've tried I've really liked. I used their Wolfhammer boots last year. They show them for 0 to 25....I actually didn't crack them out until it was single digits. I liked them quite well down to -27 actual.