Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Change Seatpost or Crank Shorteners for Child Stoker

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-19, 07:07 AM
rzsionak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I just picked up a used tandem and my son is about 1” too short with seat all the way down. I think there are two options:
1. Switch out the suspension seatpost with a regular seatpost to lower the seat further.
2. Put on crank shorteners

A third option would be a thinner saddle, though I don’t think I’ll get the inch I want from it.

Any advise or experience would be appreciated.
Old 10-06-19, 08:43 AM
Joint Venture

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Maybe both #1 and #2 together. If the cranks are too long, that’s a separate problem from whether the saddle is too high or not. FYI, da Vinci makes short cranks as well as some 3-hole cranks too (good for when both a child and an adult will be a stoker on the same tandem - just move the pedals!).
Old 10-07-19, 08:33 AM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
I agree with Joint Venture's recommendation to do both. Lower profile seatpost AND shorter cranks. The cranks should be about the same length as your son's single bike. My 5yo daughter's 14" bike has 102mm cranks, so that's the shortest crank length on our kiddie stoker setup.
Also note that little kids are light. You should lower the rear tire pressure to give them some suspension.

Kid stoker setup with telescoping seat post and multi-hole crankarms.
Old 10-07-19, 12:58 PM
WheelsNT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
If you get a straight post with a separate clamp like on inexpensive bikes, you can flip the clamp over so the clamp bolt and nuts are above the saddle rails. This will get the rails to around the top of the frame clamp. I agree with others that you probably need to do crank shorteners as well.
Likes For WheelsNT:
Old 10-20-19, 02:19 PM
rzsionak

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Joint Venture
Maybe both #1 and #2 together. If the cranks are too long, that’s a separate problem from whether the saddle is too high or not. FYI, da Vinci makes short cranks as well as some 3-hole cranks too (good for when both a child and an adult will be a stoker on the same tandem - just move the pedals!).
I ended up doing both, and that probably was the best choice for fitting my son and for flexibility in the future.