Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help me find a bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Help me find a bike?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-19, 01:15 PM
bikeZZ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help me find a bike?

Hi friends,

I am at the biggest college campus in America and have to bike everywhere (it's awful). I have a bike that I love, it's a really cool Japanese commuter-cruiser with a light that turns on automatically, a built in lock, a skirt guard, awesome fender, chain guard, and a HUGE basket. It's a really awesome commuter. but it's also HUGE and steel and SO heavy, and its an "upright" sitting kind of situation.

I recently moved into a new house at the top of a huge hill, and it has been pretty much impossible to bike up it. It takes me 2 minutes to get to class on the way down, and 15 to get back. and I usually have to walk the bike part of the way (the steepest part).

So I need a new bike, it needs to be really light, gonna be able to hold up being outside through a California winter (not awful, but maybe 2 weeks of rain) and it needs to be able to be ridden everyday. And make it up a hill so a decent amount of gears. Bikes don't typically last more than a year or two here, so it doesn't need to last forever but it shouldn't fall apart.

I also can't afford to pay more than $100, so I'm looking at used bikes on Craigslist (i'm against buying new things anyways). What kinds of brands should I be looking for? I've seen some diamondbacks around that range but I'm not super great at this. I used to have a GREAT bike (expensive, nice) that I got for $40 on craigslist and just needed a wheel, so I know it's possible, I just don't necessarily have time to fix anything.

Any help much appreciated!!