Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Show me your cruiser.

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Show me your cruiser.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-19, 10:47 AM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
Hot hot hot. That bike is awesome. How do u figure out the actual gearing on a bike like you did? Is there some kind of formula? Math is not my strong suit but I think I could maybe figure that out. LOL.

I like the simplicity of a coaster brake. And I like the clean look of a frame like yours over a normal cruiser type. However, when I ride my sons mountain bike it feels like my legs have to work harder when they are further back then the angle my cruiser bike has.... Plus it looks like your handlebar height would have you sitting more forward than I'd like. But I like the style of your bike and would like to do something similar. Also... I'm still all new to this stuff and I don't know exactly know what size rims / wheels / tires you are talking about. I'll try to convert but I'm confused about the smaller, second number. Width?
Old 09-09-19, 10:53 AM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

27.5" = 700mm?

Maybe 42 or 35 is the height of the tire or is that like a diameter? I'm used to 2.3", 1.75", etc etc...... I guess the difference between cheap bikes and good bikes. LOL. Maybe? Your tire tread is very cool.

I put a set of schwinn tires that resembled that tread on my sons bike. Bought them at K mart. They were buried in the back underneath all the normal knobby mountain bike tires but I thought these would be better. They are so smooooooth on the road. Only thing is after I put them on I realize they might have a direction to them and I'm not sure which direction is proper. Plus I put the front and the rear on opposite. LOL. Without knowing. But it rides fine and I don't think there was any marking on the box to say which way is the proper way for them to go. Hopefully it doesn't really matter. You at least don't notice it in the ride. It's so smooth.

Old 09-09-19, 10:56 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by 3S1M
Hot hot hot. That bike is awesome. How do u figure out the actual gearing on a bike like you did? Is there some kind of formula? Math is not my strong suit but I think I could maybe figure that out. LOL.

I like the simplicity of a coaster brake. And I like the clean look of a frame like yours over a normal cruiser type. However, when I ride my sons mountain bike it feels like my legs have to work harder when they are further back then the angle my cruiser bike has.... Plus it looks like your handlebar height would have you sitting more forward than I'd like. But I like the style of your bike and would like to do something similar. Also... I'm still all new to this stuff and I don't know exactly know what size rims / wheels / tires you are talking about. I'll try to convert but I'm confused about the smaller, second number. Width?
Well known in the bicycle world is Sheldon Brown's gear calculator. https://sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html

If you know your tire size, front sprocket teeth count, rear sprocket teeth count (or set of rear sprockets, or internal gear hub type) you can figure out gearing in gear inches, meters, and potential speed of your bike depending on how fast you pedal it.

It's pretty handy for figuring out how your bike is set up and if you want to change it. Also very handy for looking at new bikes to see if they suit you, too.
Old 09-09-19, 11:00 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
27.5" = 700mm?

Only thing is after I put them on I realize they might have a direction to them and I'm not sure which direction is proper. Plus I put the front and the rear on opposite. LOL. Without knowing. But it rides fine and I don't think there was any marking on the box to say which way is the proper way for them to go. Hopefully it doesn't really matter. You at least don't notice it in the ride. It's so smooth.

IMO....the direction of the tread on the front wheel is facing the wrong direction. It will create more "drag" on a rolling tire at the contact point.....
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 09-09-19, 11:05 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
27.5" = 700mm?

Maybe 42 or 35 is the height of the tire or is that like a diameter? I'm used to 2.3", 1.75", etc etc...... I guess the difference between cheap bikes and good bikes. LOL. Maybe? Your tire tread is very cool.
Look at the sidewall of the tire and look for "American" or metric numbers. For instance, the new tires on my wife's bike up above are 26"x2.125" / 559(rim diameter)x54 metric. A typical cruiser tire size. The smaller number is the "estimated" tire width, which affects outside tire diameter (not rim diameter).

I put a set of schwinn tires that resembled that tread on my sons bike. Bought them at K mart. They were buried in the back underneath all the normal knobby mountain bike tires but I thought these would be better. They are so smooooooth on the road. Only thing is after I put them on I realize they might have a direction to them and I'm not sure which direction is proper. Plus I put the front and the rear on opposite. LOL. Without knowing. But it rides fine and I don't think there was any marking on the box to say which way is the proper way for them to go. Hopefully it doesn't really matter. You at least don't notice it in the ride. It's so smooth.
By design, directional tires should have the tread pointing forward on the bike, as viewed from the top of the tire in the riding position.

It seems backwards when you think about the tread hitting the ground, but it is supposed to make any water shoot away from the center of the tread as the tire rolls forwards. With the tire facing the other way, the tread theoretically makes water go from the sides to the center which would be a hydroplane inducer.

However, I don't think this matters much on bikes going under 20 mph. It definitely matters on motorcycles with similar tread patterns, and perhaps bicycles going faster than 20 mph.

The good thing is, this is an easy fix for a front wheel. Not as easy a fix for a rear wheel with the sprocket(s) on one side.

Last edited by FiftySix; 09-10-19 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-09-19, 11:28 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,589 Times in 1,224 Posts
Sometimes tire manufacturers recommend the reverse pattern in the rear for traction. Being in the front you can just spin the wheel around. Maxis sells a tread like that called the "Holy Roller".
https://kylesbikes.com/maxxis-holy-r...hoCFAAQAvD_BwE
Old 09-09-19, 03:00 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts

Just a picture of the only Cruiser I still ride. Built on a 1980s Huffy Good Vibrations frame. Pretty much the rest is from parts I had left over. Brooks saddle, wheels built by me. Bendix yellow band 2 speed rear and a BMX high flange front hub. Weinman aluminum 26 inch rims with swap meet tires. Other bits I had. Roger

Last edited by rhenning; 09-09-19 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-10-19, 12:16 PM
3S1M

I'm not sure I can just turn the wheel around. It's got these locking tabs on the inside of the fork and not sure if it matters which way they are. I'll have to try that out and see!!! Thanks for the tips guys. You can't really tell when riding dry but I could see how maybe if it was wet that could be an issue. We're not going overly fast though. LOL. I'm not really sure how fast we get going. I guess I have to figure that out some time.
Old 09-10-19, 02:06 PM
3S1M

OK, fixed it. All is well.

Likes For 3S1M:
Old 09-12-19, 06:40 PM
itsivxx

Bikes: Giant and Dyno Roadster

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 10 Posts
My collection has increased since the last time being here. Here is a post of m y ride to date and just bought a new one on my Birthday (26th Aug)

This is my growing collection, will post the last build next
Likes For itsivxx:
Old 09-12-19, 06:47 PM
itsivxx

This is a new comer to my bike collection. Finished this up about 2 weeks ago. Sure made the honey a happy camper

So far so good. Looking for a rear fender and should be done
Likes For itsivxx:
Old 09-12-19, 06:50 PM
itsivxx

Just picked this cruiser up on my birthday, 8/26...time to make a real bike out of this junk lol

Day one
Likes For itsivxx:
Old 09-13-19, 12:11 PM
itsivxx

Made some progress on my OMG Huffy. Bought a parts bike this morning as well to give this heap some extra love

Old 09-15-19, 06:05 PM
itsivxx

Originally Posted by itsivxx
Made some progress on my OMG Huffy. Bought a parts bike this morning as well to give this heap some extra love

Another cut closer towards my huffy upgrade. Just replaced the wheel bearing and ordered in all news bearing caps, seals and bearing. Now its all about the wait

not quite right but getting there

Got it welded back together, time to grind the welds a bit and get things cleaned up a bit then its time for the powder coater

Last edited by itsivxx; 09-17-19 at 08:55 AM.
Likes For itsivxx:
Old 09-16-19, 08:49 AM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
i like it, and the jig too. always studying home jigs to try and improve mine.
Old 09-17-19, 08:37 AM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 2,976 Times in 1,496 Posts
dyno

1999 later converted to nexus7.
Likes For '02 nrs:
Old 09-17-19, 08:57 AM
itsivxx

Originally Posted by Philphine
i like it, and the jig too. always studying home jigs to try and improve mine.
The jig worked awesome, got it welded together and looking more like a frame, going to have to put it together and go for a test ride, already helped the Huffy
Old 09-17-19, 04:22 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
Originally Posted by '02 nrs
1999 later converted to nexus7.
Love the paint job !
Old 09-17-19, 05:00 PM
coopman

Bikes: Specialized Roll Sport Low Entry and Bianchi Super Pista

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 44 Posts
The Huffy has a serious crank forward issue going on.
Old 09-23-19, 05:05 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,589 Times in 1,224 Posts
These usually end up on the desert filled with grey dirt...
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik...985127096.html

Beach Cruiser - $45 (castro / upper market)

image 2 of 4

Old 09-26-19, 05:05 AM
irideiam

Bikes: Various Vintage City Bikes, Cruisers, and Gravel/Adventure Bikes

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 3 Posts
Super nice vintage Columbia, looks new!
Old 09-26-19, 05:12 AM
irideiam

Originally Posted by Surly Steve
Looks like the King Size tall frame version? Is it original or did you restore it? Nice Ride.
Old 09-26-19, 05:16 AM
irideiam

Nice lugged frame Ross cruiser!
Old 09-26-19, 05:29 AM
Surly Steve

Bikes: Surly Steamroller

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 2 Posts
1965 Schwinn King Size Heavy Duti

Looks like the King Size tall frame version? Is it original or did you restore it? Nice Ride.

Thanks! I found it on eBay, the previous owner had restored it, it is original. It is a tank, I didn't realize how much larger the Heavy Duti is compared to the American.
Old 09-30-19, 10:18 AM
Jmpierce

Bikes: 82 Trek 710, 90 Trek 750, 86 Vitus, Nishiki Cervino, 1989 Bianchi CdI, 2 Nashbars, an Italian Steel MTB, Sears Spaceliner, and a 74 Schwinn Speedster. I also manage a fleet of Volcanic Patrol bikes, 83 of them.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 120 Posts
My Electra mod...2 speed kick-back hub, springer fork, Brooks Saddle and a gorgeous blue/black powder coat you can't really see in the photo.

Oh and a "wooden tank" the original owner made with a Shlafly Beer bottle opener attached for those long hot rides...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.