Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

What streets do you like to ride on?

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

What streets do you like to ride on?

Old 10-20-14, 01:29 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Wow, you're lucky to live in a part of the world that doesn't have many cars.
Some of the roads are quite quiet ... some are busier. We had just turned off a somewhat busier road onto that road in the photo ... and that road rounds a corner and then you cycle along this sort of scenery for quite a while (35 km or so), with hardly any traffic ...

The lack of traffic on that road may be because it isn't a direct route to anywhere ... it meanders. Or because there's an 11 km section of gravel in the middle of it. Or because it's pre-tourist season here.

Looking back at a blueberry farm/orchard whilst on the gravel section ...

Old 10-20-14, 04:37 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
That's why both routes that I use between Falls City and other places have gravel sections -- there's a lot less auto traffic. Gravel doesn't bother me, though I breath dust in the summer when I do meet a car. I don't have to worry about any more dust until next June.
Old 10-20-14, 04:38 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Wow, you're lucky to live in a part of the world that doesn't have many cars.
It's probably not all luck.
Old 10-20-14, 05:38 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by enigmaT120
That's why both routes that I use between Falls City and other places have gravel sections -- there's a lot less auto traffic. Gravel doesn't bother me, though I breath dust in the summer when I do meet a car. I don't have to worry about any more dust until next June.
There are a number of roads around here that vary between paved and gravel. While I'm not a fan of cycling on gravel, I am getting better at it, and the gravel on Saturday's ride wasn't too bad. And the big benefit is that those roads tend to be quiet.

It's probably not all luck.
No ... there's a reasonable degree of choice involved, both in where we live and where we ride.
Old 10-20-14, 10:13 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Same here, although I often choose the gravel even though there is next to zero traffic on some of the paved roads. Yesterday's ride was about 85 miles with about one-fourth of it on gravel. We were going to add another gravel section but we felt a bit weary so we headed home. Besides, they've opened the gates on the gravel roads and the hunters are about, which was reason enough to call it a day before one of them got fatigued and began shooting at anything that moves. (They do shoot each other around here pretty regularly.)
Old 10-20-14, 10:19 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I like gravel too, although it can get a bit hairy on downhills and when there's ice or slush.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 10-30-14, 02:39 AM
Zedoo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: several

Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 88 Posts
Roundandroundandroundabout: Next time I'm in this area I'll see if the fun on the ground matches the fun on the map.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
roundandroundandroundabout.jpg (51.5 KB, 132 views)
Old 03-29-15, 07:12 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

It is now the law here in Tasmania ... and that's a beautiful stretch of road ...

Old 04-03-15, 04:50 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Machka
These streets, roads, and highways in this post, and my next few posts, are in the area of Australia where Rowan and I lived for a number years ... north of Melbourne ...

First ... lots of pretty, quiet, little roads. Yes, these are roads with two-way traffic ... and there's a network of them around the area where we lived, all over Victoria. They were wonderful for cycling.

[IMG][/IMG]

And dealing with the traffic on these roads ...

We're back in this area again ... and it's lovely. We cycled 40 km on some of those roads today.
Old 09-11-16, 08:05 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

I'll just nudge this to the top again since we are currently talking about places we've cycled with little or no motor vehicle traffic.

Let's see some more favourite road photos!!
Old 09-12-16, 01:01 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I'll just nudge this to the top again since we are currently talking about places we've cycled with little or no motor vehicle traffic.

Let's see some more favourite road photos!!
Actually, when I started this thread a few years ago, I didn't intend for it to be about roads with little or no motor traffic. I wanted to hear about streets and roads that people enjoy riding on, without regard for how many cars also like to travel on it.

Some of my favorite bike roads have lots of cars and trucks, but something makes them nice for cycling anyways. Maybe they have a nice bike lane, or a paved shoulder, or wide sharrows, or they're just scenic and shady on a hot day.

I loved a major street with two narrow lanes going both ways. I could easily use the right lane, and cars could easily pass me in the left lane. (Reverse for where you live!) Now they've put in bike lanes, and it doesn't seem as enjoyable for bike riding any more!

(BTW, I'm not saying anything against bike lanes. Often they're the best solution for cyclists. But not always. I hope someday street designers will learn to tell the difference.)

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 09-12-16, 01:29 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
You gotta like em or you don't get there.
Old 09-12-16, 02:09 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Actually, when I started this thread a few years ago, I didn't intend for it to be about roads with little or no motor traffic. I wanted to hear about streets and roads that people enjoy riding on, without regard for how many cars also like to travel on it.

Some of my favorite bike roads have lots of cars and trucks, but something makes them nice for cycling anyways. Maybe they have a nice bike lane, or a paved shoulder, or wide sharrows, or they're just scenic and shady on a hot day.

I loved a major street with two narrow lanes going both ways. I could easily use the right lane, and cars could easily pass me in the left lane. (Reverse for where you live!) Now they've put in bike lanes, and it doesn't seem as enjoyable for bike riding any more!

(BTW, I'm not saying anything against bike lanes. Often they're the best solution for cyclists. But not always. I hope someday street designers will learn to tell the difference.)

Well, I hope we can hear more about roads people like, with or without cars.

(but without all the arguing and politics so prevalent in other threads recently)
Old 09-19-17, 08:11 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

We've had a recent discussion about riding in rural surrounding ...

Many of the road photos I have posted in this thread are ... rural.

And that would be because we like cycling in the countryside ... and we've lived in or near the countryside.
Old 05-03-19, 02:41 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bump ...