Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Track Cycling Academy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-17, 06:04 AM
SyntaxMonstr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Track Cycling Academy?

Hi all,

First time poster and recent track convert here. I read through all the stickies (pretty sure I'm getting fired because that's all I've done at work this past week) and wanted to thank everyone for compiling and sharing such a wealth of knowledge.

I'm based in Pakistan where track infrastructure/coaching is virtually nonexistent, so I don't really have much of an option outside of the internet/online coaching. I was wondering whether anybody here has any experience with or has heard of this Track Cycling Academy on Facebook. I'm planning on testing out their 3 day trial to see if it's a good match but figured I'd check if there was any feedback on the forum as I couldn't find much in the way of reviews on Google.

Many thanks!

Edit: Apparently I can't post URLs until I've at least 10 posts, but it's literally the first thing that pops up if you look up Track Cycling Academy.
Old 01-18-17, 09:43 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
https://www.trackcyclingacademy.com

This one?

It boasts lots of high level experience/credentials. If you're able to make use of it, and it gives you direction instead of just subscribing to chaos theory then it is worth it. But that is a decision that we can't make for you. If you're the kind of person who needs and trainer in person, to be a motivator, and to track your training, then this isn't the right fit for you because you'll eventually give up on it. That's not to say you won't make progress with it in the meantime.

So in other words, even if someone is familiar with it, we're not familiar enough with you to know if it fits your training style.
Old 01-18-17, 10:16 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
I've gone over the website and, to be honest, they seem to be going at it with a novel approach. I can't see why it wouldn't work...especially for beginners. But, as Taras mentions, it's up to you to do the work. I'm sure they will be happy to take your money either way...kinda like college

The people involved certainly know their stuff. The rates are on par with 1-on-1 local or remote coaching, but it seems that they have a staff of people that will be available.

My only concerns are:

1) Cookie-cutter programs. But you'll have to worry about that even with a local coach. Cookie-cutter programs are not all bad. They work very well for beginners.
2) The team/staff losing enthusiasm as the endeavor grows or gets older. Kinda like when people are very hyped at the beginning of a project and the enthusiasm wanes as time progresses.
3) The program assuming that you have access to a track all year round.
4) The athletes not being able to give good feedback back to the coaches. Either because they don't know what to tell the coaches or because correspondence only happens once per month. That's gotta be my biggest concern. Ideally, you'll be in touch with your coach at least maybe twice a week with either check-ins or reviews, even if they are very short. I understand that the coaches' time are all probably really limited being spread over so many athletes (how many?). That might be the Achilles' Heel of all of this. This is why some coaches limit the number of athletes they support so that they have bandwidth to devote to each...ideally, anyway.

Syntax, if you are gonna be a track racer in an area where track racing isn't popular, then understand that it will take a lot of self-motivation to keep progressing. One way to deal with this is to find a sport that is related and shares similar training methods. For example, numerous track sprinters also compete as weight lifters or other strength/power sports, and many enduros are into road, crit, mountain bike, and/or cyclocross racing. I'm not trying to discourage you. Just offering some insight.

The beauty of the internet is that one can learn just about anything remotely...but it's up to the person.
Old 01-19-17, 05:24 AM
SyntaxMonstr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh man, those are super helpful replies, thanks so much! I thought I had added an edit with a bit more about me for context but it was from my phone so probably didn't go through.

I've got an elite level sporting background (international/domestic semi-pro rugby) and raced CX and crits when I was in the UK (2014/15). I also race in the national road series here as a sprinter (I die whenever the road points even slightly up) so I've got reasonable fitness benchmarks for an amateur. There's only one velodrome here and it's 4 hours away, but going there for a weekend trip is pretty feasible. As for pushing myself and suffering without any external motivation - isn't that what amateur sports is all about? The pros are the ones getting paid to do it. =P

I guess my only concern is getting feedback on what I'm doing right/wrong in re. position on the bike, standing starts, etc. You guys pretty much answered my question regarding sussing Track Cycling Academy out. I sent them an email as well and am waiting on the reply before pulling the trigger. Just wanted a second opinion. Thanks again!