Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Winter jersey (no jacket)

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-17, 12:10 PM
nob
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

guys - looking for a winter jersey for 40 degree riding temperature. Unlikely I'll ride in the rain but a little snow is a possibility. Which of these would you recommend and can you sort in priority order?

7Mesh Synergy long sleeve jersey
Casstelli Alpha Wind Jersey which are similar in concept
Morvelo Hemisphere gilet
Castelli Perfetto Light jersey
Craft Featherlight gilet
Castelli Alpha ROS jersey

Thx
Old 11-13-17, 02:26 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I own the following:

Casstelli Alpha Wind Jersey
Morvelo Hemisphere gilet
Castelli Perfetto Light jersey (short sleeve)
Craft Featherlight gilet

I have ordered a 7Mesh Synergy Long Sleeve last night but own an Arc'teryx Darter Jacket which is almost identical and designed by the same person when he used to work for Arc'teryx. The Darter Jacket does not use Gore fabrics and lacks cycling specific pockets but it is the same concept so I feel comfortable talking about it.

The Castelli Alpha ROS and Alpha Wind are essentially the same. The Alpha ROS is just the newer 2018 version of the Alpha Wind Jersey. The biggest change is the name.

All of these garments are unique and vastly different from each other.

The Craft Featherlight Gilet is the lightest of the list, extremely thin and very open mesh in the back. It blocks most of the wind in the front but the fabric is light enough that a little gets through. Perfect for cool summer nights or cool mornings but it will not insulate nor will it block any moisture.

The Morvelo Hemisphere Gilet is a bit heavier than the Craft Featherlight but it is still a thin gilet and will not insulate. It blocks all the wind in the front but has a lycra based panel in the rear, open and breathable to let out moisture. Great pockets and long in the back but again, it is a light, windblock gilet and best used as a shell over a long sleeve jersey or true mid and base layers.

The 7Mesh Synergy (Arc'teryx Darter) also lacks insulation. It is a shell - Gore Windstopper on the front to block wind and the Omega knit on the back is light and breathable to vent moisture. I wear the Arc'teryx Darter Jacket constantly in the cold but again, it is a shell. Really looking forward to the Synergy as it has proper cycling pockets.

The perfetto light is similar to the above - wind block in the front and open in the rear. It is heavier than any of the above and water resistant but has no insulation apart from the slightly fleeced rear. I need a long sleeve jersey or base layer/arm warmers. Mine is short sleeve. This is a tough garment, great for muddy gravel rides.

The Alpha Wind Jersey is an amazing garment. No insulation in the arms so keep that in mind and the rear is air permeable to release moisture but it is heavier and thicker than the above garments and the rear is a little fleeced. The separate insulating layer in the front does an uncanny job but I wish it was a little higher on the chest. This is the only garment in the list with any insulation. There is a 33 page thread at BikeRadar about the Alpha garments.

If I had to do one garment it would be the Alpha Jersey. There may be some 2017 leftovers on clearance. Pair this with a thin base layer and maybe arm warmers under the sleeves and there isn't much it can't handle.

2nd choice would be the Synergy with regular jersey, base layer and arm warmers in the pocket just in case. Last year's models are on sale at backcountry for $105.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 11-13-17 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-15-17, 11:10 AM
nob
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Timothy - did you try the 7mesh yet; what's the experience been lie
Old 11-15-17, 05:28 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
The Synergy jersey arrived at my front door about ten minutes ago. Wearing it as I type this. I've wanted one for a long time.

Heading out for a few night miles with the lights and I'll let you know for sure but it is a shell, no insulation. Wind block on the front and stretchy/breathable in the back.

Highly articulated for the riding position and feels weird, tight across the chest and arm pits when just sitting at a desk. When in the riding position it feels very nice.

Getting dressed to head out in a few minutes...

-Tim-
Old 11-19-17, 09:51 AM
nob
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
how was the ride
Old 12-05-17, 04:26 PM
Bat56

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)