Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Is track racing dying out in the US?

Old 10-11-19, 04:26 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
i mean in the occasional defense of americans, we just don't have many tax dollars once we account for a regressive tax policy and after the military industrial complex gets their hands on it
The federal government has been removing a lot of its support for the arts. Remember Piss Christ?, or when Congress decided Rock and Rap were the reason kids were acting up (It is actually poor parenting, but can’t hold constituents accountable). In Europe, orchestra’s are subsidized making it very affordable to go. People in the U.S. would rather play video games at home. You can even get college scholarships for playing video games now.
Old 10-11-19, 05:44 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
On the other hand, at the junior and elite level, there's an exciting new impetus to get things moving forward from USA cycling, largely due to some new blood in the coaching pool. Eventual success here (and we're already seeing some) might provide some inspiration to build more tracks?
Old 10-12-19, 10:41 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
The federal government has been removing a lot of its support for the arts. Remember Piss Christ?, or when Congress decided Rock and Rap were the reason kids were acting up (It is actually poor parenting, but can’t hold constituents accountable). In Europe, orchestra’s are subsidized making it very affordable to go. People in the U.S. would rather play video games at home. You can even get college scholarships for playing video games now.
Regarding video games. It's simply a numbers game. If you can get thousands of people at a time to sit and watch someone do anything, there will be ad money involved.

How is a video game scholarship any more absurd than a golf scholarship? What's more, the average person can relate more to video games than I can to golf. I've played video games thousands of times...and golf (including driving ranges and mini-golf) dozens.

Imagine some guy explaining golf to his parents a couple of hundred years ago explaining that it would be big in the future.
Old 10-12-19, 11:14 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Baby Puke
On the other hand, at the junior and elite level, there's an exciting new impetus to get things moving forward from USA cycling, largely due to some new blood in the coaching pool. Eventual success here (and we're already seeing some) might provide some inspiration to build more tracks?
Real talk, if the hardware these ladies brought home over the years wasn't enough to ignite some passion for building tracks, I don't know what will:

I know I'm a Debbie Downer in this thread, but I just want to speak honestly so that we see things as close to reality as possible.

I absolutely love this sport. I just don't know how to grow it...or if it's even possible.
Old 10-12-19, 05:30 PM
Baby Puke

Carleton, somewhat agree. Trying to look at the bright side here! However, the women's TP success is something of an outlier in my opinion as over the last ten years or so that was the only track program getting any kind of support. That is changing. Look at the recent junior worlds, there was a lot of US success, even in sprint events! My point is that support is growing, becoming systematized, being implemented more intelligently. This could have big ramifications down the road. I put this down mostly to a change in coaching staff at USA Cycling (in other words, Lee Povey, but probably others I'm not aware of).
Old 10-16-19, 10:51 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I put this down mostly to a change in coaching staff at USA Cycling (in other words, Lee Povey, but probably others I'm not aware of).
When I've talked with Dale Huges, he has been beating this drum loudly at USA cycling, and trying to get them up to speed on a sport they didn't understand a few years ago. Heck, he's even built several velodromes recently and started a new track cycling league. We'll see were that ends up, but he's working it...

(just realized one of the kids we had that medaled at track nationals was the same guy who beat me by a couple of inches in my last crit. My kids loved teasing me after I told them I got beat by a 14yr old, lol)
Old 10-19-19, 10:45 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
There seems to be a lot of tracks closing in the US recently. Whats up with that?

Now, looks like Boulder Valley will close down.
https://www.velonews.com/2019/10/new...shutter_501459

……………………………………./
A rescue operation is in progress.
https://www.facebook.com/SaveBVV/?__tn__=HH-R
Hope it is successful.
Old 10-23-19, 12:23 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Why should the taxpayers supplement a facility that they may have no interest in?

There are no problems in the USA right now because taxpayers will speak their mind. I love track racing but I also realize that I should pay for and help raise funds for things I like (and not rely on the government to pay the bill).
Old 10-23-19, 12:53 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
Why should the taxpayers supplement a facility that they may have no interest in?

There are no problems in the USA right now because taxpayers will speak their mind. I love track racing but I also realize that I should pay for and help raise funds for things I like (and not rely on the government to pay the bill).
Taxpayers supplement lots of things they will never use. I don't have children. Why should I pay for schools? I don't use the local public park with baseball, soccer and football fields. Why should my tax dollars pay for it?

We agree as a society that somethings are important, and many communities think bicycling facilities fit that bill.
Old 10-23-19, 01:36 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
If it increases your property value, you benefit even if you don't use it.
Old 10-23-19, 07:32 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by topflightpro
Taxpayers supplement lots of things they will never use. I don't have children. Why should I pay for schools? I don't use the local public park with baseball, soccer and football fields. Why should my tax dollars pay for it?

We agree as a society that somethings are important, and many communities think bicycling facilities fit that bill.
Well

then the track should remain open daily for the taxpayers to use and no track certification should be required
Old 10-23-19, 07:39 PM
Baby Puke

Well

then the track should remain open daily for the taxpayers to use and no track certification should be required
Just curious, are you a track rider?
Old 10-23-19, 08:30 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Just curious, are you a track rider?
I have ridden track. Yes.

I just believe taxpayers should get their money’s worth. They should not be stuck with the bill.
Old 10-23-19, 10:25 PM
carleton
Elitist

Should all public services be crowd-funded? Should we start a gofundme for trash pickup and animal control?

Well

lol...do you even know why tracks require certification? It's not to selectively inconvience you. It's to make sure that everyone knows what to expect and what's expected of them when on the track to avoid accidents.

Do you also think that driver's license tests and pilot license tests shouldn't be required?

I have ridden track. Yes.

I just believe taxpayers should get their money’s worth. They should not be stuck with the bill.

This is all trolling at best and idiotic, short-sighted reasoning at worst.

"Why should my taxes be used for something that does't interest ME?!...GRRRRRRRR!"

I haven't been to a public library in years...yet I'm very happy to have my tax money go to supporting them for the good of my society as a whole...not just what's good for me as an individual. I hold that sentiment about a great number of things...including track racing.

You have a right to your opinion. We have right to have an opinion about your opinion...it sucks.
Likes For carleton:
Old 10-24-19, 03:54 AM
Baby Puke

Exactly.
Old 10-24-19, 05:26 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by carleton
Should all public services be crowd-funded? Should we start a gofundme for trash pickup and animal control?

lol...do you even know why tracks require certification? It's not to selectively inconvience you. It's to make sure that everyone knows what to expect and what's expected of them when on the track to avoid accidents.

Do you also think that driver's license tests and pilot license tests shouldn't be required?

This is all trolling at best and idiotic, short-sighted reasoning at worst.

"Why should my taxes be used for something that does't interest ME?!...GRRRRRRRR!"

I haven't been to a public library in years...yet I'm very happy to have my tax money go to supporting them for the good of my society as a whole...not just what's good for me as an individual. I hold that sentiment about a great number of things...including track racing.

You have a right to your opinion. We have right to have an opinion about your opinion...it sucks.
Its not trolling. It’s a fact. Taxpayers should not pay the bill for you to have fun and if they do then they should be allowed to use the facilities.

Velodromes in South Korea are open to the public. Not gated. Anyone can use them.

You don’t need certification to ride around a track. Proceed at your own risk.
Old 10-24-19, 05:50 AM
carleton
Elitist

Its not trolling. It’s a fact. Taxpayers should not pay the bill for you to have fun and if they do then they should be allowed to use the facilities.

Velodromes in South Korea are open to the public. Not gated. Anyone can use them.

So you are saying that when one becomes a track racer, they don't pay taxes anymore. Niccccce.

Also, taxpayers paid for roads. We shouldn't need a driver's license either, right?

DLV is open to the public every day.

What's South Korea have to do with this?

So, really, what velodrome denied you entry? That's what this is about.
Old 10-24-19, 10:24 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts

Your statement is not fact, its clearly opinion (I guess that is why it is trolling?). Lots of people around here use your argument as a reason to close libraries. Ugh.

For most of my life, I lived in Texas - where there was next to nothing with parks or any pubic land. It sucked. That is a fact. Oops, no, its just an option of someone who appreciates public spaces. Makes me really appreciate all of the parks I have access to now. I understand what you are saying, but I'm glad I don't live in Texas any more.

Certainly a flattish 333m cement track can be ridden on by just about anyone. We have one of those that is open. Of course people ride motorcycles on it (and cars) and destroy it.

A 50 degree banked track needs training to ride on safely. So, it rather depends what you are talking about.

But yes, our tracks are open to free use and training by anyone under 18. I guess your argument would work if everything associated with the track was paid for by the government, but the track upkeep and ongoing costs are paid for by private individuals - hence it needs a fee structure. Yes, anyone can ride it if they take the intro to track class and contribute to the maintenance costs. This isn't Korea, nor is it Texas.

I love our parks. I love seeing people play cricket, having a cross country running race, taking their dog for a walk, or just being outside (and off their computer). I don't do any of those things, but I'm glad I live in an environment where that is appreciated. Just my opinion.
Old 10-24-19, 10:34 AM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

……………...
Taxpayers have a choice -- if they do not agree with taxpayer supported sports and recreation facilities then move to a city that does not offer public bike paths, swim pools, tennis courts, golf courses, rec centers, and baseball and soccer fields.
Old 10-24-19, 10:48 AM
ttusomeone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Let's use the library as an analogy to a public-funded track idea. The library has hours of operation, and you're allowed to use the library any time they are open. They aren't open 24/7 though. You also can't check-out a book without first getting a library card. So to compare that to a track, them having hours of operations and requiring a certification (track card of sorts) seems reasonable and in line with other public services. I'm not sure your issue here.
Old 10-24-19, 05:05 PM
Baby Puke

Actually I have a question for the poster (troller?): I was under the impression most tracks in Korea were pro keirin tracks, much like in Japan. In Japan, these tracks are most definitely NOT open to the public for riding. Not so in Korea? Genuinely interested in your answer.

Last edited by Baby Puke; 10-24-19 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-24-19, 06:19 PM
gycho77

Bikes: Serotta steel track bike, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Actually I have a question for the poster (troller?): I was under the impression most tracks in Korea were pro keirin tracks, much like in Japan. In Japan, these tracks are most definitely NOT open to the public for riding. Not so in Korea? Genuinely interested in your answer.
I have some friends in South Korea and they told me that non of velodromes are open to public.
Only professional track cyclists are allow to use the velodrome.
I also called few velodromes in South Korea once, and all of them said you have to be a professional track athlete(official Keirin racer, University track team, or national track team) to ride in a velodrome.

Last edited by gycho77; 10-24-19 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-24-19, 06:38 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

I lived there in the 90’s

The 88 Olympic training track was wide open. We used it all the time. Awesome.

So many want free crap for yourselves. I say you go ahead and voluntarily pay 75% of your wages to local, state and federal taxes if you believe in this form of government.

Last edited by Rajflyboy; 10-24-19 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-24-19, 09:13 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Originally Posted by gycho77
I have some friends in South Korea and they told me that non of velodromes are open to public.
Only professional track cyclists are allow to use the velodrome.
I also called few velodromes in South Korea once, and all of them said you have to be a professional track athlete(official Keirin racer, University track team, or national track team) to ride in a velodrome.
How do you get to that level if you can't ever use the track?
Old 10-24-19, 09:27 PM
Baby Puke

Originally Posted by himespau
How do you get to that level if you can't ever use the track?
Maybe they should consider opening a publicly funded track? OH!
Likes For Baby Puke:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.