Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Dropper Posts. Which one??

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 10-26-19, 12:36 PM
jrhoneOC

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 40 Posts

Id prefer not spending $300 on a dropper post for a $700 bike. So what are some good options for me that wont break the bank? Is used an option? Saw some reviews that said the Rockshox Reverb works well but then saw they had ALOT of reliability issues in the past. Specialized gets great reviews but is also one of the more expensive ones out there. KS? Brand X? Fox? I have the internal routing option on my frame and its a 1x so i can use whatever lever style works best. I just want something (fairly) inexpensive, functional and reliable.
Old 10-26-19, 02:32 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
When looking at reviews of different dropper’s reliability, keep in mind that people’s expectations are so low that “super reliable” simply means not crapping the bed for a year.

If reliability is your number one concern, get a Gravity Dropper. No other dropper out there has a track record anywhere close to it. Mine is 14 years old. I had one issue 13 years ago (mine was the first generation before they redesigned the shaft) and since then is is totally reliable, easy to work on, and requires little maintenance. It does lack some features that some people think are needed, and are thus willing to deal with failure prone, high maintenance posts.

For a more full-featured post that is inexpensive, and seems to not have a lot of problems, check out PNW. They have a good reputation for customer service.
Old 10-26-19, 03:28 PM
BarryVee

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Santa Cruz Tallboy 27.5+

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
X Fusion Manic

X Fusion Manic. Comparably inexpensive. Internal frame routing. Position adjustable lever. Rebuild is replacing a cartridge. I’ve two seasons on mine with no trouble yet.
Old 10-26-19, 08:14 PM
WannaGetGood
B*ck From Th* D**d

Bikes: 2015 Kona Process 153

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I have the KS Lev, and it is fantastic. Super reliable. Others I know would say the same thing. There are a few good brands out there making solid dropper posts. You can also look into the One Up Dropper. Do not get the Rock Shox. They make great stuff, but droppers are not one of them. People have problems with getting air into them and then the dropper not coming back down. The fox ones are sweet, but pricey.
Old 10-27-19, 07:51 AM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Do you need an external dropper?
There are a few decent droppers for around $100 these days but the only one I'm familiar with is the KS e-ten and mine has been fine. I've had it around 3 years now though and it does need a new cartridge which is $30.
Old 10-28-19, 11:19 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I think the first thing is to make sure it fits your frame, ie...
seat post diameter
length inserted
cable routing

I... still haven't bought mine yet, I admit. There doesn't often seem to be $150 floating around in the family budget for something that's only going to be used by y.t. I was at least planning on choosing one that has a coil spring, they're less expensive and I have seen enough bla bla about rebuilds and lost air.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-28-19, 12:38 PM
jrhoneOC

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I think the first thing is to make sure it fits your frame, ie...
seat post diameter
length inserted
cable routing

I... still haven't bought mine yet, I admit. There doesn't often seem to be $150 floating around in the family budget for something that's only going to be used by y.t. I was at least planning on choosing one that has a coil spring, they're less expensive and I have seen enough bla bla about rebuilds and lost air.
yup got that. 30.9 diameter. Looks like 125mm version is the largest that will fit my frame and its internally routed. KS LEV SI is so far at the top of the list.
Old 10-28-19, 12:39 PM
ab_antiquo
Banned

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by WannaGetGood
Do not get the Rock Shox. They make great stuff, but droppers are not one of them. People have problems with getting air into them and then the dropper not coming back down.
The Reverb is out of his price range.

The newer Reverbs use a Vent Valve in case air and oil mix. No disassembly required to fix.

I've had Gravity Droppers, Xfusion, Fox, 9point8 and now a Reverb AXS. The Reverb is the best of the bunch.
Old 10-28-19, 12:59 PM
jrhoneOC

Originally Posted by ab_antiquo

The newer Reverbs use a Vent Valve in case air and oil mix. No disassembly required to fix.

I've had Gravity Droppers, Xfusion, Fox, 9point8 and now a Reverb AXS. The Reverb is the best of the bunch.
The Reverb stealth B1 125mm is on sale for 180 at JensonUSA. Thats actually one of the cheapest.
Old 10-28-19, 01:07 PM
ab_antiquo
Banned

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by jrhoneOC
The Reverb stealth B1 125mm is on sale for 180 at JensonUSA. Thats actually one of the cheapest.
"The newer Reverbs use a Vent Valve in case air and oil mix. No disassembly required to fix."

"Reverb AXS"

Google is your friend here.
Old 10-28-19, 02:03 PM
jrhoneOC

"The newer Reverbs use a Vent Valve in case air and oil mix. No disassembly required to fix."

"Reverb AXS"

Google is your friend here.
yup thats def out of the price range.
Old 10-28-19, 03:56 PM
jrhoneOC

Narrowed it down to the KS LEV SI and the Brand X Ascend. The Brand X is rated and reviewed very favorably for $150. Plus another $20 off for being a new customer. So $130. Thats hard to beat.
Old 10-28-19, 09:30 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts

interested to hear more about the new Reverbs, I have 5 sets of the older Reverbs and they all bomb out and need rebuilds much quicker than the Giant, Spesh and 9pt8s I'm using on other bikes.
Are the AXS full hydro or cable actuated?
Old 10-28-19, 09:34 PM
qclabrat

Originally Posted by jrhoneOC
Id prefer not spending $300 on a dropper post for a $700 bike. So what are some good options for me that wont break the bank? Is used an option? Saw some reviews that said the Rockshox Reverb works well but then saw they had ALOT of reliability issues in the past. Specialized gets great reviews but is also one of the more expensive ones out there. KS? Brand X? Fox? I have the internal routing option on my frame and its a 1x so i can use whatever lever style works best. I just want something (fairly) inexpensive, functional and reliable.
Most of the guys by me riding bargain posts are using PNWs. They are solid and easy to service. Worth checking out at about 200
Old 10-30-19, 11:04 AM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
When looking at reviews of different dropper’s reliability, keep in mind that people’s expectations are so low that “super reliable” simply means not crapping the bed for a year.
Ain't that the truth?
Old 10-30-19, 11:11 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
I have a PNW (Cascade model I think)... affordable, works great. Company seems to have a good reputation when I researched it.
Likes For Stormsedge:
Old 10-31-19, 09:54 AM
qclabrat

Originally Posted by Holy Rollercam
Neither. It's wireless.

that's right, how many hours do they recommend before a rebuild?
Old 11-04-19, 03:58 PM
jrhoneOC

Just an update. I found a new Specialized IRCC Command Post at a crazy price. $150. Its reviewed well and has a great remote and it will match the bike well. Will report back to how it works on e installed.
Old 11-13-19, 11:31 PM
jrhoneOC

Installed the Specialized IRCC Command Post and it all went well. The only issue is the post is about 10-15mm higher than my rigid post with the post fully extended and it as far down as it will go into the frame. My legs are still slightly bent when pedaling so its probably ok. I will ride it a bit and see if it starts to feel normal. If not the Brand X dropper is 10mm shorter and had 5mm less travel which will make it 15mm shorter which would be perfect.