Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Was the Giant Excursion Touring Bike Sold in the USA?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 12-05-19, 09:08 AM
OutnBack

Bikes: 83 Diamond Back Ridge Runner, 85 Rockhopper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 89 Stumpjumper Comp, 91 Bridgestone RBT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 61 Posts

I recently acquired an early 90s Giant Excursion & was wondering if this was a "Euro" bike, or were they sold in the states? It has a built in lock for securing the back wheel, internal wiring & a bottom bracket Generator (generator is made by Union) for powering the lights, & a triple crank w/ a chain guard. A very well thought-out touring ride.

Last edited by OutnBack; 12-05-19 at 09:29 AM.
Likes For OutnBack:
Old 12-05-19, 09:25 AM
ramones71 

Bikes: 1980 Raleigh Competition G.S., 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 1987 Schwinn Voyageur, 1982 Raleigh Superbe, 1983 Specialized Sequoia, 2002 Lemond Buenos Aires, 1998 Marin Eldridge Grade

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts
That’s a beauty, and in amazing condition!
Old 12-05-19, 09:27 AM
OutnBack

Bikes: 83 Diamond Back Ridge Runner, 85 Rockhopper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 89 Stumpjumper Comp, 91 Bridgestone RBT

Originally Posted by ramones71
That’s a beauty, and in amazing condition!
Appears to have been barely ridden. Paint & Decals are immaculate. Unfortunately it's far to small for me, so I will find it a new home.
Old 12-05-19, 05:59 PM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
I love the braze-on for the shifter that actuates the dynamo!

It certainly does look like an EU market bike. That style of ring-lock is pretty common in Scandinavia, but Trelock is German. I had a Finnish city bike that had a swinging arm for the same purpose with brackets welded on each seatstay.
Likes For DiegoFrogs:
Old 12-05-19, 06:04 PM
BikeWonder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 52 Posts
Reminds me of that Koga-Miyata Randonneur bike posted here a while back. The style is very similar.
Old 12-05-19, 06:17 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
Ah! I didn't know you were in NW GA. I saw this one on CL and thought about buying it for the racks to swap onto my new Claud Butler, then resell the bike, but ask price was too rich for me to risk it. Seller still has multiple ads up for it.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/searc...rsion&sort=rel
Old 12-05-19, 07:35 PM
OutnBack

Originally Posted by BikeWonder
Reminds me of that Koga-Miyata Randonneur bike posted here a while back. The style is very similar.
Very similar to that Koga-Miyata Randonneur, right down to the vertical dropouts.

Last edited by OutnBack; 12-05-19 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-06-19, 07:49 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
It was a Euro-style "trekking" bike that was also sold here during the early '90s. Came with straight bars, riser stem and RapidFire shifters. Looks better with drops.
Old 12-06-19, 07:55 AM
Andy Antipas 

Bikes: too many old steel bikes

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 937 Times in 176 Posts
Giant Excursion

I sold them when they were new around 1990 during my bike shop days back in central PA. I remember them having drop bars out of the box, but I could be mistaken. Cool bikes and way off the radar when I was selling them, which was when you couldn't give a road bike away, and everybody wanted a mountain bike.
Old 12-06-19, 08:52 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
The Giant Excursion was introduced in the USA for the 1991 model year, as a flat bar touring bicycle for $749 US. It included the Euro-style wheel lock (see scan). It had been selling well in Europe for the previous 2 years, so the decision was made to market it in the USA. However, for 1992 it was replaced by the lower grade Alondra with Shimano 300LX at $450 US. The serial number will provide the manufacture date.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 12-06-19, 08:56 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
It reminds me a lot of the 92/93 Specialized Sequioa frameset I've got sitting in my basement. The shifter mount high on the seattube to control the lights is a neat thing. I keep meaning to build that frame up (I think it was marketed as a city bike with flat bars, but it has the hallmarks of a tourer - I think it might be a rockhopper frame with the canti mounts moved for 700c wheels and that extra mount added for the light control), but it's a 58 and I need at least a 60. I could make it work with a longer/taller stem and high seatpost, but I have other things to build first.
Old 05-17-20, 12:59 PM
itsmeken

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes, I can confirm they were sold in the US as I have TWO of them! Actually, they are for sale too. As mentioned, these were completely equipped from the factory for touring. Just needed panniers and you were ready to see the world on pedal power! The unique lighting system was a winner! A built-in generator that was activated with a lever. All wiring was internal to the frame and fenders! Worked brilliantly and never had to worry about dead batteries if you were caught rolling into your campground late. The lock system mentioned worked well for the casual thief with hopes of just riding off with your bike. With panniers loaded for self-contained bike camping (water and food) it was unlikely someone would carry it off. Still had a cable lock as well.

My wife and I used them as touring bikes. Took two tours on these fantastic bikes. One down the coast of Washington after touring the San Juan Islands. The second down the coast of California. Bikes are complete and fully operational (even the generator and lights work). Other than a few expected scratches here and there they are in remarkable condition. We are a bit fanatical about caring for our equipment and also, shortly after the second tour we switched to a tandem for touring. So, they never saw any additional tours. Been in the garage ever since. I swapped out the straight bars on my for more grip positions. My wife liked and kept her straight bar and added bar end grips. Still have the Madden "bomb-proof" panniers. It was a great combo and neither the bikes or the panniers ever let us down. Tried to add photo attachments without success. Anyways, great bike and was our first entry into bike touring. So many great memories and experiences! Actually, this thread got me motivated to pass them on, hopefully to a couple, so they can have similar experiences and adventures.