Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Cross-country US bike tour

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-20, 06:27 PM
Bildo5183

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
It is unlikely that I would be touring anywhere near you, so just commenting on a few thoughts for long distance touring.
Thank you for sharing some of your bike travel stories, as well as sending some helpful info. I agree that it is better to keep a loose itinterary over a strict one, and aside from picking a couple of major routes, I will be very flexible with my trip.

Happy Riding,
Bill

Originally Posted by Chinghis
I'm at the terminal end, so I also won't be joining you ... but in California at least and maybe other states, we have something called Hike and Bike sites at the State Park campgrounds.The rule is that if you get there under you own power, they can't turn you away because of space. The Hike and Bike sites I think are generally not used that much anyway.
I did not know this about State campground sites so thank you very much! I am planning on doing quite a bit of camping in CA before I finish in LA, and this is good to know.

Cheers,
Bill
Old 01-07-20, 06:32 PM
Bildo5183

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bulette
Looks like the TransAm takes you closest to McCall -- of course, the Northern Tier and TransAm both intersect at Missoula, MT so still open ended from Missouri to Montana.
That's good to know about Colorado-- I figured it would be lots of climbing through that section! I should be there by late summer, so hopefully snow will not be an issue.

Also, I will be sure to take your advice on Yellowstone and the Tetons, as both of those places are definitely on the list of places to spend some time at during this tour-- thank you!
Old 01-07-20, 06:34 PM
Bildo5183

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
In my daydreams I see myself taking the train to DC and then riding the C&O trail, connect to the GAP trail and then ride to connect to the Katy Trail ... and then just ride ;-)
Make that dream a reality!
Likes For Bildo5183:
Old 01-07-20, 06:40 PM
Bildo5183

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by indyfabz
ACA's Atlantic Coast route doesn't go through NYC or Philadelphia...
Thanks for the information about the ACA! Yep, looks like it hits the outskirts of those two cities, but there is a connector route that can take you through them.
Old 01-07-20, 07:38 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I rode cross country in 2016 supported by my wife who was driving our van. I rode from Oregon to Boston basically following Route 20 which goes coast to coast. Where traffic got a little busy on the actual Rt 20 I followed roads that paralleled Rt 20. That worked out well for me. We had intended to mostly camp but wound up in hotels as we had our old dog with us. Good luck on your trip.
Old 01-08-20, 08:29 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Bildo5183
Thanks for the information about the ACA! Yep, looks like it hits the outskirts of those two cities, but there is a connector route that can take you through them.
Both are spurs that go into/close to the cities. You have to reverse to get back to the regular route. The NYC spur doesn't even go into the city. It ends in Summit, where you catch a train. The Philly spur takes you to the Art Museum (and the famous statue of Rocky) almost entirely on trails/rec paths.
Old 01-08-20, 10:42 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Bildo5183
Hello fellow bicyclists and Happy New Year! My name is Bill and I currently live in Boston, MA. I joined this forum because I am doing a cross-country US tour (Boston to LA) starting next May, and would like to connect with fellow riders who are embarking on a similar journey around that time who'd possibly like to bike sections of it together.

I have been a city rider for years now, but I am new to the world of bicycle touring. I purchased a Masi Giramondo over the summer-- have put it to the test over a few rides-- and am really looking forward to riding on it across the US next year.

Does anyone have cross-country touring advice that they could share with me? Some stories they would like to share? Anyone making a similar trip next Spring and would like to ride a few days together? Hit me up!

Cheers,
Bill
Originally Posted by jppe
I rode cross country in 2016 supported by my wife who was driving our van. I rode from Oregon to Boston basically following Route 20 which goes coast to coast. Where traffic got a little busy on the actual Rt 20 I followed roads that paralleled Rt 20.

That worked out well for me. We had intended to mostly camp but wound up in hotels as we had our old dog with us. Good luck on your trip.
Howdy neighbor,

I have been cycling in Metro Boston since 1977.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…We toured in Michigan and Ontario.

In 1977 we moved to Boston on our bikes, as a bicycling honeymoon from Los Angeles to Washington, DC and then took the train up to Boston.

We have toured in New England and the Maritime Provinces, and one trip to the DelMarVa peninsula.
The forerunner of ACA, Bikecentennial, had been founded in 1976 with just one cross country route. I have posted (link) a synopsis of our trip.

Also FYA, I rode with @jppe on the last day of his cross-country trip into Boston.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
It was one of my most pleasant cycling days in 40 years of cycling, to ride with jppe, and to direct his wife in the van to various locations and ultimately the Atlantic Ocean...
If you are traveling on your own or with others with makeshift plans, it’s hard to make specific suggestions even if and especially if you are an experienced cycle tourist.

Philosophically though, I really liked this post about cycle-touring:
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
A thought or two, based on personal experience....

Also, what's the hurry? One of the joys of touring is the singleness of purpose and absence of demands. All you have to do is get there: you don't have to get there fast or get their first - and if you are touring with camping gear, odds are you can be incredibly flexible about what "getting there" means on any given day.

Embrace that. Don't let your tour become an exercise in trading one rat-race for another.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-08-20 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-08-20, 01:45 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by Bulette
Thanks for the clarification -- though Glacier is definitely worth seeing, it seems difficult to include it in a route alongside Yellowstone, Tetons and the Rockies, unless you have an extra week or so, of course!
When I rode the TransAm, we went from Glacier up to the Northern Tier (Seely Lake to Bigfork to West Glacier), then took the NT into Anacortes. It may have added a day or two compared to the TransAm across Oregon, but it was easy to ship bikes home, catch a shuttle into SeaTac, and make connections to the eastern side of the country.

I think Glacier was well worth the detour. Of course, now I'm left wondering about Lolo Pass, John Day, and all the things I missed on the last TransAm map. OTOH, I have lots of pictures of the west side of Washington Pass to balance that!
Old 01-08-20, 03:55 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
Awesome! Learn something new every day. Cheers.

Originally Posted by jppe
I rode cross country in 2016 supported by my wife who was driving our van. I rode from Oregon to Boston basically following Route 20 which goes coast to coast. Where traffic got a little busy on the actual Rt 20 I followed roads that paralleled Rt 20. That worked out well for me. We had intended to mostly camp but wound up in hotels as we had our old dog with us. Good luck on your trip.
Old 01-08-20, 05:38 PM
hilltowner

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
I don't expect you'll change your whole itinerary based on my experience but I'm from Massachusetts (Western part) and did the NT west to east. Can't say I didn't fight any headwinds but I can say that had I been heading west instead of east at one point I would have had to take at least a day off. Steady 35 mph headwinds, with higher gusts, would have been a no go. Instead I was sailing and did 120 miles that day.

I did the whole continent (Anacortes, WA to New Carlisle, Que) in sections. I used the train. Via Rail Canada and Amtrak in the U.S. You can go to Seattle from Boston on the train and ride your bike back. (It's ridiculously inexpensive to take a bike on a train compared to an airline.) I wanted to start from Anacortes so I used commuter rail from Seattle to Mt. Vernon and then a commuter bus to Anacortes. That was entirely personal. Thinking it through I would probably have been as happy detraining in Everett, WA and working my way northeast to intersect the NT somewhere along its route or, if I had had the time, taking the ferry from Everett and riding up the islands to Anacortes.

At any rate there were departures from the NT that I was happy I took. Walker to Duluth and then Duluth to Kingston, ON crossing the UP and traversing the Manitoulin Islands then using the ferry to the Bruce Penninsula. From Kingston to home involved the Erie Canal towpath. From home to New Carlisle involved long stretches of La Route Verte in Que.

I write about it here: https://sites.google.com/view/xing-t...y-bicycle/home. Obviously not worth as much if you aren't traveling in the same direction I did.

There is a Facebook group devoted to NT posts that is worth checking out though. Worth your inspection even if you only find yourself on limited sections of the route.

Phil Lussier
Ashfield, MA
Old 01-09-20, 11:22 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by hilltowner
I don't expect you'll change your whole itinerary based on my experience but I'm from Massachusetts (Western part) and did the NT west to east. Can't say I didn't fight any headwinds but I can say that had I been heading west instead of east at one point I would have had to take at least a day off. Steady 35 mph headwinds, with higher gusts, would have been a no go. Instead I was sailing and did 120 miles that day.
On the other hand...

We met a couple in eastern Colorado, heading eastbound, who told us a horror story about the headwinds from Lander to Rawlins, WY. They had to take a day off in Rawlins to recover from that day. A couple weeks later, we fought headwinds westbound, making 20 miles in the last five hours of daylight before we camped, exhausted, some 40 miles outside Lander.
Old 01-09-20, 11:45 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
We met a couple in eastern Colorado, heading eastbound, who told us a horror story about the headwinds from Lander to Rawlins, WY. They had to take a day off in Rawlins to recover from that day
Lander to Jeffrey City I was so glad to encounter a strong couple on a tandem. Serious cross/headwind from about the 2 o'clock position. By the afternoon the wind had shifted and were coming out of the SW. I had trouble walking to the café in town for lunch. I left Jeffrey City for Rawlins at dawn the next morning to try to beat as much wind as possible.
Old 01-09-20, 08:22 PM
AngeloDolce

Bikes: Many English 3 Speeds

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Hike & Bike

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
When I rode from Astoria OR to San Francisco CA in 2014, I put the state parks on a map on my tablet that had hiker biker sites based on a state park website, that way we could plan our destination each day for such a site. But, at that time not all California State Parks with campgrounds had hiker biker sites. Has that changed?

Some of the hiker biker sites we saw appeared to be partially populated by homeless, thus it could be an area where you need to watch your gear pretty closely, lock things up, etc. There were two of us, so one could stay in the campsite most of time to watch our belongings. But if you are traveling alone, that is harder to do. Situational awareness is the key.
My experience was that there are more hiker biker sites in the north, with increasing restrictions the further south you go. Virtually all the Oregon parks with camping have a hiker biker site. Northern California was pretty good, but around San Francisco and especially around Los Angeles and further south there are fewer campgrounds with hiker biker sites, and they tend to limit hiker biker stays to a single night vs. multiple nights further north. In Oregon, the campgrounds tended to be 10-30 miles apart; between Newport Beach and San Diego the few state campgrounds with hiker biker sites were 50+ miles apart.
Old 01-09-20, 08:45 PM
AngeloDolce

Bikes: Many English 3 Speeds

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hilltowner

I did the whole continent (Anacortes, WA to New Carlisle, Que) in sections. I used the train. Via Rail Canada and Amtrak in the U.S. You can go to Seattle from Boston on the train and ride your bike back. (It's ridiculously inexpensive to take a bike on a train compared to an airline.) I wanted to start from Anacortes so I used commuter rail from Seattle to Mt. Vernon and then a commuter bus to Anacortes. That was entirely personal. Thinking it through I would probably have been as happy detraining in Everett, WA and working my way northeast to intersect the NT somewhere along its route or, if I had had the time, taking the ferry from Everett and riding up the islands to Anacortes.

I write about it here: https://sites.google.com/view/xing-t...y-bicycle/home. Obviously not worth as much if you aren't traveling in the same direction I did.

Phil Lussier
Ashfield, MA
Several airlines reduced charges for bicycles in 2019, so flying might be an option. Ssome carriers no longer charge oversize fees or specific bicycle fees, so standard baggage fees ($30-40) apply if the bike/box is under 115-126 inches and under 50-70 lbs (depending on flyer/ticket class). Standard bike boxes are just under 100 inches, so I was able to take a bike from Philadelphia to southern California in Dec for $30 each way. This was the normal baggage charge (many of the baggage agents knew the policy, a few did not. Also, TSA will open the box before it is loaded on the plane, so expect to have any other items in the box rearranged.)

This was a business trip, so the extra time for rail travel eliminated Amtrak.
My experience with Amtrak has been fine with a folding bike. The Northeast corridor lets you check a boxed bicycle at most stations, but I wasn't able to pick it up for a day or two. The Pacific Surfliner (San Diego to Los Angeles) accepts full size bicycles without boxing, travel in the same car.

Last edited by AngeloDolce; 01-09-20 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-09-20, 08:51 PM
hilltowner

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
If you do a roll on/off with the train, you'll be the one who moves the bike, not some underpaid and overworked baggage handler. Just one other factor to consider. Of course, train travel requires a much greater time commitment.
Old 03-14-20, 09:54 PM
detroitjim

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 48 Posts
Heres a link to The TransAm Eastern Express Bike Route .It'll get you from Walden CO to Washington DC.

Free maps!

https://www.easternexpressroute.com/

Crazy guy on a bike did this

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?doc_id=8823
Old 03-21-20, 04:21 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by detroitjim
Heres a link to The TransAm Eastern Express Bike Route .It'll get you from Walden CO to Washington DC.

Free maps!

https://www.easternexpressroute.com/
That looks like it would be a lot faster and easier that the normal AC Trans America. It also would not sample the culture and flavor of the Southern Appalachians. It might be a good fit for some, but they should be aware that they are giving up a lot to get a much easier ride (some of what is skipped is far and away the hardest part of the Trans America). At first glance it looks like there is a lot of riding near major cities and riding on bike trails on the Eastern Express neither of which appeal to me. The TA tends to be much more rural and small town oriented staying further away from cities most of the way. Some may see either approach as a plus.
Old 03-21-20, 05:39 AM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Great thread! Makes me want to do all of the suggested routes. However, given the recent unpleasantness, lodging may be more of a challenge than one hopes. My plans this Summer involve the GAP and C&O, then a train to NYC. A quick look at some of the hostels shows some planning not to open, on the Cape, and some with no plans, as yet published. I'm wondering about campgrounds, public and private, and, especially places with bunk rooms, dorms, group lean too, etc. Any info on Warm Showers and/or Air B'n'B?