Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Dammit! My '86 Miyata 710 needs new wheels!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Dammit! My '86 Miyata 710 needs new wheels!

Old 06-26-20, 08:11 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 406 Posts
I dont carve down mountains, but I've never inflated my 25mm clinchers to 100psi. I usually keep them around 85/90 - - front/rear. I weigh about 150.

Also, no pics?
Old 06-26-20, 08:30 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I was riding one of my bikes last summer when the rear wheel went out of true. I opened up the quick-release on the rear Shimano N600 single pivot brake caliper and rode a lot slower down hills and grades than normal. As we got closer to home the out of true wheel got worse. Got home and took the wheel off and then the tire. I'm glad I rode so slowly. Here's what I found.

It seems that the tire and air pressure was all that prevented that wheel from getting tackoed on the ride. As soon as I let the air out the wheel the rim sprung into the shape in the last image.

Cheers
Old 06-26-20, 08:31 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by Piff
I dont carve down mountains, but I've never inflated my 25mm clinchers to 100psi. I usually keep them around 85/90 - - front/rear. I weigh about 150.
I weigh more - closer to 200.

Originally Posted by Piff
Also, no pics?
bike is dirty... embarrassed to post pics of dirty bike!
Old 06-26-20, 08:39 PM
Cougrrcj

Originally Posted by Miele Man
I was riding one of my bikes last summer when the rear wheel went out of true. I opened up the quick-release on the rear Shimano N600 single pivot brake caliper and rode a lot slower down hills and grades than normal. As we got closer to home the out of true wheel got worse. Got home and took the wheel off and then the tire. I'm glad I rode so slowly. Here's what I found.

It seems that the tire and air pressure was all that prevented that wheel from getting tackoed on the ride. As soon as I let the air out the wheel the rim sprung into the shape in the last image.

Cheers
!!!!!
Translated:
HOLY CRAP !!!!!

Last edited by Cougrrcj; 06-28-20 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-29-20, 09:32 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
just because the ano layer is worn off doesn't mean the rims are "weak".

I've continued using such rims for years, i looked forward to the loss of the ano layer on the brake tracks!

The brake pulsation might just be the way the connecting sleeve is pressed into the ends of the rim, very normal for araya and ukai dbl-walled rims of this era.

Perhaps new pads have suddenly exacerbated the pulsation issue which is due to the rim's variation of thickness(?).
+1
Old 06-29-20, 07:43 PM
Cougrrcj

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
+1
Ummmm, Robbie? Have you looked at the pics in 'post 21' of this thread of the front rim brake tracks???? They show the cracks that are starting to show that rim is TOAST! The new wheelset is MUCH smoother!!!