Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How dyed-in-the-wool as a commuter?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How dyed-in-the-wool as a commuter?

Old 08-12-19, 05:34 PM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 80 Posts
I have been commuting by bike since Feb 2011 and it was 15 f degrees on my first day. The cold did not stop me that day nor has it stopped me since. I don't go below 10 f degrees. The ice and snow on the road stop me due to the hill at the end of my commute where I take a left turn and fear for my life. Also I find life has been getting in my way of cycle commuting this year. While my husband was having radiation I could not bike commute as I did not have enough time to fit his health care and my work. Now I am working 9 hour days so I can work half a day Friday's making me more tired. I try and commute as much as possible as I love riding my bike.
Likes For essiemyra:
Old 08-13-19, 06:51 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
New York City traffic has reached a crisis level in recent years. I've been back here for only six years, and the crisis developed since I've been here. At the same time, the subways are working much worse in the same period. As a result, the only mode of transportation that has a predictable travel time is bicycle. A lot of bike trips that New Yorkers make are not fun, but they suck less than all other modes of travel. The radio news (WNYC) did a story about this, as it is doing a series about commuting on all modes. Lots of people calling in weighed in about how bike commuting is the only reliable way. The amount of time a trip takes by bike today is the same amount as it took yesterday. The variation of travel times by other modes is mind-boggling. If you have a long car drive, it could take more than an hour longer than estimated on some days. Some commuter train rides take two hours longer than estimated. Of course, a bike commute can't replace a trip of great distance, so I'm lucky I don't have to travel many miles, but I often have to go five or six miles in the city, and even if I have to traverse some very harrowing intersections, I'd rather not take a car, taxi, bus, or subway.
Last year I commuted by bike as much as I could and dreaded taking the subway, but this year I found myself bike commuting less. There were a number of factors in this, rain, the forecast of rain, the oppresive heat, family things that I needed to take care of on certain days, and lastly being asked to go out for my retirement parties. There was a never ending series of reasons not to bike in.
Old 08-15-19, 07:05 PM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
During the summer it is off and on. Florida weather brings heavy rain July-August from 3 until sunset, at least 4 days out of 7. Winter only gets down to upper 20s, with not as much rain, so most days there. My other factor is my running. Right now am building speed for a half marathon, so I try to time speed work with rainy days so I don’t bonk out on the ride in. The plus side is longish rides of mid effort in the evening really help loosen you up.
Old 01-04-20, 02:36 PM
Bluesfrog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Guess folks like to commute once they are used to it. Thanks for the replies. Be Well, Bluesfrog
Old 01-04-20, 10:19 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
I try to commute by car as much as I can, but when there's snow or freezing rain, I take the car. This year I drove the car a total of 15 times so far. Rain doesn't bother me as I have a shower and clothes dryer at work. I'm still trying to figure out a way to keep my feet dry in heavy rain. My commute is 12 miles one-way. If it was half that distance I wouldn't let the snow or freezing rain bother me either.
I feel lucky because it's too expensive to park where I work, and public transit takes too long (and is also somewhat expensive), so I have one more incentive to stay on the bike in all conditions and don't mind experimenting with foul weather gear.

A co-worker clued me into VeloToze neoprene shoe covers: VeloToze cover . I ride with clip-in MTB shoes and these covers have held up much better than expected and keep my feet dryer than any other cover I have tried.
Old 01-05-20, 07:05 AM
Alligator

Bikes: Too many. I’m constantly selling and buying new bikes.

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
I’m working up to commuting only by bike, but I still take a car now and then. My goal is to sell the car after I can demonstrate that I don’t use it anymore. Of course, I wiped out on my last commute by hitting some snow. Now I’m in pain for a while as my body heals. Hasn’t taken away any of the motivation to ride though. Even a wipe out on a bike is better than riding in my car to work, and I’ll continue to ride year round, regardless of the weather (if I can).
Old 01-05-20, 06:13 PM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
I don't stop riding in winter even if it means riding in the dark. In fact, it's quite usual for me to do my whole 30km commute in the dark from start to finish during winter.

I have also done my commute after a snow as long as the road was cleared.

In the summer months sometimes I have also ridden in the rain. Won't do this in winter though.
Old 01-05-20, 07:12 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
Different bikes for the commute

Originally Posted by Amt0571
I don't stop riding in winter even if it means riding in the dark. In fact, it's quite usual for me to do my whole 30km commute in the dark from start to finish during winter.

I have also done my commute after a snow as long as the road was cleared.

In the summer months sometimes I have also ridden in the rain. Won't do this in winter though.
Just caught a bad cold, and I'm out for the count. I don't fall ill much, but this is going to stop me tomorrow. I might even take a sick day. I would have to drive.

It's only an 8 mile flat commute.

This time of year, it's typically in the 40's in the morning. It's been a hectic holiday season, and I feel like I'm exhausted. I usually ride every day.

Recently I broke a spoke nipple on my SS commuter rear wheelwith over 8k miles on it.

Still haven't fixed it. So I started to ride my really heavy cargo bike, and it feels like that was a bit of strain for me.

Most of the more than 30 years of this commute I rode a double or triple chainring road bike. Became tired of shifting and even developed a mild tendonitis shifting the front derailleur. That made me switch a drive train to SS for the commute. No regrets.

People at work have no idea how nice it is to ride everyday. I never try to explain it.

It hardly rains much here, so I don't know, but my rule is that if I'll be soaked by the time I get to work, I'll drive instead. I've arrived home soaked and cold many times. That's not so bad.

I
Old 01-06-20, 04:45 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
It's nice to have the luxury of driving, particularly when you have a cold/flu.

When I was car free, my colds would tend to linger for weeks because I still had to get to work. Back then I was riding 15 miles (one way), and even though AZ winters are pretty easy, it's still cold enough to be pretty miserable when you're sick.
Old 01-06-20, 05:22 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 357 Posts
I guess since the choice was between public transport and bike I never felt like I had to ride 100% of the time. If I had to drive a bike-able distance I'd ride almost all the time. Since my commute since I've retired is from my second floor bedroom to my first floor computer, I'll walk. The bike is on the trainer next to the computer. I just did an hour of the Sufferfest.
Old 01-06-20, 05:50 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Archwhorides
I feel lucky because it's too expensive to park where I work, and public transit takes too long (and is also somewhat expensive), so I have one more incentive to stay on the bike in all conditions and don't mind experimenting with foul weather gear.

A co-worker clued me into VeloToze neoprene shoe covers: VeloToze cover . I ride with clip-in MTB shoes and these covers have held up much better than expected and keep my feet dryer than any other cover I have tried.
I like to say that I started bike commuting because I am too cheap to pay for parking, too impatient to ride public transit, and too lazy to walk. The real reason is that I was training for a triathlon and was blowing off bike workouts because after I rode the bus home and sat on the couch, I'd talk myself out of riding. I had the brainstorm that if I had my bike with me at the end of the workday, I'd have no excuse. That's when I discovered it was cheaper, faster, and a lot more fun and I've been doing it ever since (1998).

If it's raining cats and dogs and I have to be in a meeting or hearing with a suit on, I'll usually drive that day and pay the day rate for parking, but otherwise I'll ride every day year round.
Old 01-06-20, 11:36 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
It's nice to have the luxury of driving, particularly when you have a cold/flu.
Paid sick leave is the real luxury.
Likes For Korina:
Old 01-07-20, 10:21 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,361 Times in 1,380 Posts
Archwhorides, thanks for the tip about Velotoze. I might buy a pair.

I recently did a trail ride at 34ºF where I fell and one foot ended up in a stream. I was wearing plastic bags over my socks, and my foot felt the cold water, but after a minute, I could tell that I wasn't cold or wet, so that worked out.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-07-20, 10:36 AM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
I've commuted by bike off and on since I was 7 years old. I'm 51 now. Since moving to the Bay Area in 2003, I've commuted full time to 2 different jobs. One was 6 miles round trip and my current job is 10 mile round trip. I feel lucky to be able to do this, since I'm not sure how I'd bear up in freezing temperatures and snow/ice. You winter commuters of the midwest and east coast have my respect!
Old 01-07-20, 12:50 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
I stopped using my bike to comute when I got my first car at 18, 45 years ago. I never seriously considered going back to it for regular commuting.

But since you brought the subject up it got me to thinking. There were many days after my shift at a local restaurant washing dishes and doing other chores that I really did enjoy the 5 -6 mile ride home except in a storm or on a nasty winter day. Even at 1:00 am.

One of my fellow workers used to ride a bike the 10 miles to factory I retired from every day. No amount of snow or extreme cold could stop him. He was so fit, his extremely low pulse and blood pressure had the factory nurse ready to send him to the hospital.

At 280 lb he went though a road bike every year. Funny, I never pictured a diehard cyclists being 6' 4" and 280 lbs.
Old 01-07-20, 12:52 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,399 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by xroadcharlie
There were many days after my shift at a local restaurant washing dishes and doing other chores that I really did enjoy the 5 -6 mile ride home except in a storm or on a nasty winter day. Even at 1:00 am.
Especially at 1am! The roads will be so quiet and peaceful!
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 01-08-20, 11:27 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Four years ago (my last bad cold), I was so anxious to get back on the bike that I started riding to work (in the cold and the dark) as soon as I could. That cold recurred three times.

This year, my wife had the flu and I had sinus problems. Maybe I'm getting old, or maybe I'm learning, but I'm driving the car for the rest of this week and maybe through the rain that's predicted for the first part of next week.

Driving to work reminds me why I like to bike to work.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 01-08-20, 12:31 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Driving to work reminds me why I like to bike to work.
Every time.

I didn't always feel this way. When I was single I had a WRX and a crotch rocket and drove and rode like a hooligan. Then in my early 30's I had a BMW motorcycle and did a few long tours. This was around the arrival of the iPhone, and the rate of texting was going up, making the truckers, formerly real pros, now really frightening. When we got married and a house I got rid of the bike and got a small truck, that was... ok. At least it was a pretty blue. Now I have a metallic-invisible colored crew cab F150 that we got to tow our travel trailer. It's no pleasure at all to drive and I've got no pride of ownership. I treat it as something I just have to use once in a while. My wife wants me to trade it in for something that I like better, but there's nothing else that can do its job that isn't just like it. And my opinion of other drivers just goes down and down. Sometimes I feel like the self driving cars can't come soon enough.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-08-20, 12:59 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,399 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Sometimes I feel like the self driving cars can't come soon enough.
You should join the 'conversation' over here
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 01-08-20, 02:51 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I know what you mean about colds/flu and biking. I always (now that I have the option) drive 1 day more than I think I need when recovering from a cold.

And it serves as a good reminder of why I prefer to ride: I work on a military base, and it's almost exactly 5 miles from my driveway to my office. If I drive, it takes 12 minutes to get to the traffic, then 20-30 minutes sitting in traffic waiting to get on the base.

When I bike, it's almost exactly 30 mins door to door, and traffic doesn't affect me.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 01-08-20, 04:25 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
You should join the 'conversation' over here
Thanks but no
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-08-20, 04:43 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
I was a year-round bike commuter for about 5 years - 8 to 10 miles one way. Always enjoyed the start and end of the day with a bike, even when the conditions were terrible. Being in Minneapolis, it took a few years of 3 season riding to build out my kit to handle the worst of winters weather (dark, snow, ice, sub-zero temps).

Now I work from a home office, I get out to ride nearly every day, but now I have more options to ride when the weather is nicer and the traffic is lighter and/or routes with light traffic. I miss the daily commute, but enjoy the current situation too.
Old 01-08-20, 05:23 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Re colds and flu: A lot of times if I just have a cold, a gentle ride into work will actually make me feel a bit better (assuming it's decent weather). My rule of thumb is that if I'm too sick to ride to work, I'm too sick to go in and I should just go back to bed.
Likes For caloso:
Old 01-09-20, 11:40 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
My rule of thumb is that if I'm too sick to ride to work, I'm too sick to go in and I should just go back to bed.
agreed
Old 01-09-20, 03:51 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Originally Posted by xroadcharlie
At 280 lb he went though a road bike every year.
And it was still cheaper than a car.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.