Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Tubular / Rando

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-20, 07:00 PM
Revracer

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn World Voyageur | Francesco Moser SL | 1984 Ross Utopian | St. Etienne 531 | 1981 Peugeot PK10 | 2015 Cannondale SuperSix | 2012 Felt F65X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 18 Posts
Tubular / Rando

The nature of this question begs insanity, but I am readying one of my vintage steel steeds for a few randos this year, starting this weekend and this bike has tubulars. Granted, they are great tubulars with Stan's inside, Veloflex Vlaanderen with latex inside that should seal, but alas I have never changed a tubular on the road. I always carried a spare, but I would love to hear if others have ever tried a Rando on tubulars. I get it, tubulars are lite and created for races where speed matters and you have support teams to swap wheels, but is the modern tubular with Stans or another brand suitably reliable?

Last edited by Revracer; 03-05-20 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-05-20, 08:10 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
I think you already know the answer.
Likes For Steamer:
Old 03-05-20, 08:20 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
I would have DNF'd on a couple brevets if I couldn't have fixed a flat. And if there's anything worse than riding a brevet in crummy weather while you're hungry, thirsty, and tired, it's not getting credit for it because you couldn't get to the end.

That said, I know of people who have and do ride brevets on tubulars, but they bring spares and are prepared to change them.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-06-20, 12:20 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
I have no experience with tubulars, but I would assume the same thinking as tubeless.

I mean, for tubeless, it's "bring spare tubes in case the sealant fails to seal"... so for tubular, bring spare tire(s) -- with sealant -- in case the sealant fails to seal.
Old 03-06-20, 05:50 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
never a good idea to ride a bike when you can't change a flat. I used to ride tubulars everywhere without a second thought. But I could change a tire.

I rode tubless a couple of times last year. Got a bottle of sealant, had spare tubes. I worried about it the night before the rides, but it worked out fine
Old 03-06-20, 11:14 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
This comes down to how risk-averse you are.

The problem with changing tubulars on the road is that you're basically riding an unglued tire. You might get some limited adhesion depending on the condition of your residual glue, etc, but not enough to prevent rolling a tire in a tight turn.

So if you think your sealant will probably see you through, and if you think you can avoid turning on an unglued tire if it doesn't, and if you're ok with the consequences of rolling a tire if you do need to turn, then go for it.

FWIW, I have changed tubulars on the road, but I've never ridden tubulars with sealant in them. I have not ridden a brevet per se on tubulars, but I did do a 300k ride on tubulars where I flatted about 270k into it, and did ride the rest of the ride on a dry tubular. That probably wasn't the smartest thing, but it was almost entirely straight-line riding. I don't ride tubulars anymore.

Last edited by adamrice; 03-06-20 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-06-20, 01:02 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I would never ride tubulars on a brevet, but if I did, I would make sure there was someone I could call if I got a second flat. I would be pretty annoyed as a ride volunteer to have to pick someone up who thought it was a good idea to run tubulars on a brevet. I always carry two tubes and a patch kit and have had to use the patch kit more than once. If you want to ride your vintage bike on a brevet it would be a lot smarter to pick up a clincher wheelset to use for those rides. Plenty of decent sets out there for under $200.
Old 03-06-20, 01:06 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Another data point: Harriet Fell reported using all four of her spare tires, and needing a spare wheel on her fifth puncture on PBP 1975: https://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/fell/PBP1975.html
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 03-06-20, 02:26 PM
David in Maine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
Rene Herse and Jan Heine have just become the US distributors for FMB tubular tires (according to Instagram), so maybe big fat tubies on brevets will become the next big thing! I've personally never tried them.

David
Likes For David in Maine:
Old 03-06-20, 03:24 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
I would think the tape for tubulars might be a better way to go but I've yet to swap the punctured rear tubular on the wheelset and it's just been hanging there for years. I'd run sealant next time, if I ever try again, seems like cheap insurance.
Old 03-06-20, 08:38 PM
Revracer

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn World Voyageur | Francesco Moser SL | 1984 Ross Utopian | St. Etienne 531 | 1981 Peugeot PK10 | 2015 Cannondale SuperSix | 2012 Felt F65X

This is all helpful advise and I have swapped my clincher wheels to my planned distance bike and since I am new to brevet it is best not to explore too far from the norm. Tomorrow a few more bits arrive to ready the bike, but the weather in Philadelphia looks dry for Sunday, so the half 107km (is there a term) will not beg for fenders / but no doubt I will wish for more baggage as the temp swings could go from 25F to 50+F.
Old 03-06-20, 08:53 PM
Revracer

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Another data point: Harriet Fell reported using all four of her spare tires, and needing a spare wheel on her fifth puncture on PBP 1975: https://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/fell/PBP1975.html
Scott, this is a really good read, thanks for sharing!
Likes For Revracer:
Old 03-06-20, 11:22 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Originally Posted by Revracer
Scott, this is a really good read, thanks for sharing!
You bet. Good luck on Sunday!
RUSA #7498