Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Brake upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-20, 10:48 AM
bran1986

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Brake upgrade?

After riding more I am starting to realize the brakes on my new Specialized Allez are not the best; I kind of expected this, as most reviews mentioned the brakes as a weak point. The current brakes on the bike are Tektro caliper brakes.

Just curious if I would need to upgrade both the caliper and pads, or if I could get away with throwing on some stickier brake pads?

Last edited by bran1986; 04-29-20 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-29-20, 11:45 AM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
What's your budget.

New brake pads will be the cheaper first option, compressionless housing brake cable would be a second step and finally new calipers
Old 04-29-20, 11:50 AM
bran1986

I don't really have a budget, just looking for something with a bit more stopping power for around town (traffic lights, stop signs, etc.) If I can get away with just replacing the pads, that would be great.

Last edited by bran1986; 04-29-20 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-29-20, 12:38 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Pads can be very expensive and probably won't do much if there is not good tension. Amazon has one v brake kit for 25 bucks and one for 40 bucks, both are all inclusive. I got the 40 buck one recently but it did't arrive yet. Should be adequate but if not then one shamino btr4000 brake for front or back is 15 bucks more, so still much cheaper than if you got all the parts separately.
Old 04-29-20, 01:24 PM
JayKay3000

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
This is a really good thread on the subject you're asking, lots of ideas - Shimano vs tektro road calipers

I also found the review that in cycling weekly that talks about how the brakes don't have good initial feel. The same review goes on to say the stock wheels are on the heavy side and your shifters are claris so tiagra might be an upgrade path - I added that last bit.

I think your frame has the carbon fork so the frame is shared throughout most of the lineup which means the frame is worth putting money into.

Make sure the brakes are setup the best they can be before needlessly throwing money at the issue.
Old 04-29-20, 01:49 PM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts
I have a 2020 Allez Elite. I’ve owned it for maybe 2 months. About 2 weeks ago I took the Axis 1.0 calipers off and put on Ultegra calipers. They made a noticeable difference in stopping power as far as braking authority. I had little confidence in the feeling of the stock Axis 1.0s. Ultegra calipers feel so much better, I highly recommend them.
Old 04-29-20, 05:20 PM
wsteve464

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Upgrade to a disc fork and brakes.
Old 04-29-20, 05:52 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Originally Posted by InvertedMP
I have a 2020 Allez Elite. I’ve owned it for maybe 2 months. About 2 weeks ago I took the Axis 1.0 calipers off and put on Ultegra calipers. They made a noticeable difference in stopping power as far as braking authority. I had little confidence in the feeling of the stock Axis 1.0s. Ultegra calipers feel so much better, I highly recommend them.
I had Tektro on my Kestrel and upgraded to Ultegra 6800. Truly night and day difference as far as gripping power on my Aluminum rims. Gave me more confidence in the mountains.
Old 04-29-20, 07:30 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by bran1986
Just curious if I would need to upgrade both the caliper and pads, or if I could get away with throwing on some stickier brake pads?
You might start with some Kool Stop salmon pads. If they don't do the trick for you, you can use them to improve whatever brakes you put on next.
Likes For BCDrums:
Old 04-30-20, 05:36 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by bran1986
I don't really have a budget, just looking for something with a bit more stopping power for around town (traffic lights, stop signs, etc.) If I can get away with just replacing the pads, that would be great.
I've never had to do panic stops for traffic lights or stop signs. Are you saying that your brakes are not up to the gradual slowing required for these devices?
Old 04-30-20, 07:04 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Biggest changes would come from better pads and compression less brake housing (if that is not what you already have.

As far as getting new calipers, I’ve had Tektro, Cane Creek, and Ultegra calipers. Once they are all running good pads and housing, there is a performance difference, it is not all that much IMO.
Old 04-30-20, 10:03 AM
bran1986

Originally Posted by JayKay3000
This is a really good thread on the subject you're asking, lots of ideas - Shimano vs tektro road calipers

I also found the review that in cycling weekly that talks about how the brakes don't have good initial feel. The same review goes on to say the stock wheels are on the heavy side and your shifters are claris so tiagra might be an upgrade path - I added that last bit.

I think your frame has the carbon fork so the frame is shared throughout most of the lineup which means the frame is worth putting money into.

Make sure the brakes are setup the best they can be before needlessly throwing money at the issue.
Thanks for the information. You are correct, this particular bike has the carbon fork. A big reason I purchased this bike is because I felt it was a bargain for the frame/fork you are getting.

I just got the bike a few weeks ago but am already loving it. I can definitely see upgrading to Tiagra or better in the future, but for now the Claris work perfectly fine for me.

Brakes were looked over by the bike shop and myself and seem to be adjusted well.
Old 04-30-20, 10:07 AM
bran1986

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
I've never had to do panic stops for traffic lights or stop signs. Are you saying that your brakes are not up to the gradual slowing required for these devices?
I should have been a bit more clear. I meant traffic lights and intersections in general. I ride in a city that is on a huge upswing and is getting busier by the day. I would just feel more confident with a little more bite if a panic stop were needed.
Old 04-30-20, 10:08 AM
bran1986

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think I will start with the Kool Stop Salmon pads recommended in here and then move on to the Ultegra calipers if needed.

Last edited by bran1986; 04-30-20 at 10:16 AM.
Likes For bran1986: