Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

"...his hat, his little bike shorts..."

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-05-20, 05:54 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts

Excerpt from a comment by Gayle King on CBS This Morning during a report on a cyclist who tried to take from flyers from a kid and mom on a DC area MUP. You can Google the clip before I can find it (aired mere moments ago). Gayle was saying that the helmeted and Lycra-ed cyclist could probably be identified by his clothing by someone seeing the clip. The guy also evidently rammed the cameraperson with his bike while making his getaway. Fun times, no?

Old 06-05-20, 07:06 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Excerpt from a comment by Gayle King on CBS This Morning during a report on a cyclist who tried to take from flyers from a kid and mom on a DC area MUP. You can Google the clip before I can find it (aired mere moments ago). Gayle was saying that the helmeted and Lycra-ed cyclist could probably be identified by his clothing by someone seeing the clip. The guy also evidently rammed the cameraperson with his bike while making his getaway. Fun times, no?

Doesn't look like an off-duty cop at all, amirite?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-05-20, 07:08 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
from the video it looks like his bike has Campagnolo shifters - so, a discerning thug 😀
Likes For Litespud:
Old 06-05-20, 07:10 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Litespud
from the video it looks like his bike has Campagnolo shifters - so, a discerning thug 😀

Seriously, how big of a scumbag is he? That's a little girl he assaulted.

I'd hope anyone on BF who recognizes him will come forward.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-05-20, 07:12 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18322 Post(s)
Liked 15,303 Times in 7,232 Posts
If you watch the video, linked to in a thread in Road, you can see he has noticeable moobs.
Old 06-05-20, 07:13 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by indyfabz
If you watch the video, linked to in a thread in Road, you can see he has noticeable moobs.

Too many donuts.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-05-20, 07:19 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Video is linked here:

towleroad.com/2020/06/viral-video-shows-white-bicyclist-assaulting-young-women-over-black-lives-matter-fliers-watch/

Watch him as he boldly grabs the arm of an 11 year old girl and wrests the clearly dangerous pieces of paper from her hands.

This guy needs jail.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-05-20, 07:25 AM
indyfabz

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-05-20, 07:35 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Someone will recognize him. Scumbag.
But I gotta tell you... he's got some nice Hooters.....
Likes For trailangel:
Old 06-05-20, 07:35 AM
indyfabz

Watch him as he boldly grabs the arm of an 11 year old girl and wrests the clearly dangerous pieces of paper from her hands.
Paper can cut you bad. And it covers rock.
Old 06-05-20, 07:36 AM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
How bothered are you by a flyer that you stop your ride to engage and harass a little girl, now I want to know what was on that piece of paper
Likes For taco2ewsday:
Old 06-05-20, 07:37 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by trailangel
But I gotta tell you... he's got some nice Hooters.....
As I note above. First thing I noticed about him when I saw the video. NTTAWWT.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-05-20, 07:39 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Blurry picture of bike

Anyone able to identify what he's riding from this?
Old 06-05-20, 07:42 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked 1,422 Times in 973 Posts
Not sticking up for the perp, and I'm not familiar with the area (I'm on the west coast), but does the area get a lot of flyers put up on post/fences/walls/etc? Things like that can make an area look really trashy really quick, and cops just give up trying to enforce any ordinances on posting signs. I've got a utility pole outside my house that gets all kinds of signs posted - lost cats/dogs, cars for sale, garage sales, band appearances, real estate sales (weeks-old signs) - it gets annoying.
Likes For skidder:
Old 06-05-20, 07:45 AM
indyfabz

Blurry picture of bike

Anyone able to identify what he's riding from this?
Almost looks like cursive on the downtube. Rodriguez ti? You know how ti bike riders are.
Old 06-05-20, 07:46 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Video is linked here:

towleroad.com/2020/06/viral-video-shows-white-bicyclist-assaulting-young-women-over-black-lives-matter-fliers-watch/

This guy needs jail.
I'm with you, he needs to be in jail for sure. Moreover, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to hook him up on a civil rights violation. They weren't doing anything to him, just exercising their right to have an opinion and speak out about it. With any luck, he'll be caught, tried, convicted, jailed and manhandled while he's in there.

Originally Posted by skidder
Not sticking up for the perp, and I'm not familiar with the area (I'm on the west coast), but does the area get a lot of flyers put up on post/fences/walls/etc? Things like that can make an area look really trashy really quick, and cops just give up trying to enforce any ordinances on posting signs. I've got a utility pole outside my house that gets all kinds of signs posted - lost cats/dogs, cars for sale, garage sales, band appearances, real estate sales (weeks-old signs) - it gets annoying.
Here's the trouble with that; he's not empowered to enforce any regulations or statutes and even if he was (and on duty), all he could do is write summons to the parents. He would have no right to forcibly take something from a juvenile's hands.

Some things can't be explained away or justified.

Last edited by nomadmax; 06-05-20 at 07:53 AM.
Old 06-05-20, 07:47 AM
indyfabz

Then what, exactly, are you trying to convey?
Old 06-05-20, 07:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Yeah, sure, so annoyed with littering I want to assault a little girl.

Seriously????!!!!!
Old 06-05-20, 07:50 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Bethesda’s an upmarket suburb of Washington DC (i.e., no-one’s concerned about their property values taking a dip) and the incident occurred on a bike path. How annoying would fliers have to get to justify terrifying and assaulting a little girl?

Last edited by Litespud; 06-05-20 at 07:55 AM.
Likes For Litespud:
Old 06-05-20, 07:52 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by nomadmax
Moreover, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to hook him up on a civil rights violation.
Uncorrect. Actions like this by private citizens cannot form the basis of a civll rights claim. You need government action (e.g., police action) or something like the actions of an employer that amounts to discrimination.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-05-20, 08:08 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
I had to leave for an appointment since the original post, but here's some more. Did not realize a thread already exists in Road, but my immediate impression from what I saw was Gayle (not my favorite talking head) King's comments about the guy. Hat? Little shorts?

https://www.mymcmedia.org/police-sea...t-in-bethesda/

CBS did mention that the girl was posting about the current protests, and I can see how littering might be a concern for users of the path but the guy seems to be a bully at least and, since a bicycle is legally a vehicle, he could probably also be charged with hit and run for striking the cameraperson. Not a lawyer, but there seem to be lots of interesting legal aspects.

That is all.

Last edited by thumpism; 06-05-20 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-05-20, 08:10 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Uncorrect. Actions like this by private citizens cannot form the basis of a civll rights claim. You need government action (e.g., police action) or something like the actions of an employer that amounts to discrimination.
You would know more about it than me, so I defer to the knowledge you got in law school. That said, the crux of what I'm saying is that's unacceptable conduct and it can't be justified. Maybe it could be construed as hate crime?

While not a lawyer, I did spend a career that had me in the courtroom frequently and we both know when a case gets special attention a defendant can be charged with darn near anything. What they plead to or are convicted of is another matter. I might be a little sensitive to this kind of subject because part of my job I retired from was to ensure that citizens had the right speak out and protest peacefully; even if their focus was on my profession. I could never burn a US flag except in accordance with old flag destruction policy. However, I have protected the rights of people to do so because I believe our freedoms supersede the emblem of those freedoms.

Last edited by nomadmax; 06-05-20 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-05-20, 08:15 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by nomadmax
Maybe it could be construed as hate crime?
Extremely doubtful:

https://www.oag.state.va.us/programs...ves/no-hate-va

The federal hate crimes law is similar.

Still, it was wrong and, IMO, criminal (assault).. Just wanted to clarify what you need to establish a civil rights violation.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-05-20, 08:15 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
Yeah, I'm sure he was worried about a cluttered utility pole. (/sarcasm)
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 06-05-20, 08:22 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...lts-child.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.