Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

old-school shorts with narrow elastic bands

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-20, 11:31 PM
hectorvalencia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well I've been forced to throw out some old beloved shorts, and when I go to buy new ones I find that all the shorts now have these horrible 3 inch wide elastic bands that want to strangle my legs to death, they're all aero and "technical", yuck. I'm not racing anything except impending old age.

Anyone know where I can get old-fashioned bibs and shorts with the narrow elastic bands? Does nobody flip up their elastic any more? I want about half an inch wide elastic, that's plenty. The shorts shouldn't be super long down to the knee either, about mid thigh was just right. Basically if I could get shorts like they were 20 years ago, that would be great.
Old 07-07-20, 11:55 PM
yamsyamsyams

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 20 Posts
I find that most cheap amazon shorts for this description - probably the same tech as 20 years ago

i also night a cheap pay of DHB shorts last year that had narrow grip bands.
Likes For yamsyamsyams:
Old 07-08-20, 06:21 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
I think the cheaper Pearl shorts might still come with a narrow elastic. No, folks don't turn up the hem anymore and longer is better. Shorty shorts may get you some attention, though.
Old 07-08-20, 07:45 AM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
theblackbibs.com has quality shorts and bibs at a solid price (I've bought two from them). Their lesser expensive version, just the classic "Black Bib/Shorts" have no elastic band. Their higher-end versions do, these are the ones that I've bought.

I've done the Amazon thing in the past and have been horribly disappointed. For what you're asking I'd recommend the above.
Old 07-09-20, 03:00 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Ditto, Black Bibs basic bibs. Comfy, good quality for the money, no elastic in the thigh hems.

Normally I'd recommend Przewalski or Spotti shorts and bibs (appears to be the same maker), but those do have silicone grippers in the thigh hem.

Those fit me like 1960s-'70s style cycling shorts, a little shorter than the contemporary style, but that's due in part to my disproportionately long thighs compared with the overall leg length. I would need to order the extra length shorts or bibs to fit closer to my knee.
Old 07-09-20, 04:20 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Call customer service at Aero Tech Designs. The grippers on some of their shorts are not very wide.