Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Vector 3 Pedals for 250 Pound Rider

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 04-28-20, 09:44 AM
Ugly Dwarf

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

New to the forum.

Looking to buy a power meter and have been leaning towards going with pedals vs other methods. I just started looking at the Garmin Vector 3 pedals but it says max rider weight is 231.

When I'm training and working hard at it I can get below 230, but realistically my weight fluctuates between 235-250 depending on diet, how much beer / wine I'm drinking at night, and my ability to make time to exercise (my wine consumption is up and gym time is WAY down with Covid-19), so I'm pushing the high side of that range right now.

Just wondering if anyone else in here is using the V3 pedals while over the weight limit and if you've seen / heard of any issues.

Dwarf
Old 04-28-20, 10:01 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts
Wow. Pedals with a weight rating? I never would've thunk it.

I wouldn't worry about being over by a few percent. World class riders pump thousands of watts of power through them more often than not pretty violently. (Check out UCI Track Cycling World Championships to really see what these guys do.)

FWIW: I've run Powertap P1 pedals & never could get used to the "road" cleats. Bulky & awkward off the bike. All my bikes have Powertap wheels or Quark cranksets. This frees up the pedal options so you can have one pair of shoes across your whole fleet of bicycles. Be they road or mountain bikes.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 04-28-20, 10:44 AM
Ugly Dwarf

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I've been thinking similar about being OK when I'm that close to the Max. I figure a companies lawyers make them build a good bit of buffer.

I've been running shimano road pedals and cleats on my road bike for many years. Agree that it's a pain to walk with them, but they're much easier to click into than the SPD pedals I use on my MTB. I use both since I tend to click in / out more often on my road bike (intersections / red lights) and walk more on my road bike (there are just some hills around here I can't quite climb).

Has anyone else heard about or experienced issues with going over max weight on these?
Old 04-28-20, 07:33 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
No experience but Speedplay pedals with a Ti axle have a 180 lb weight limit... which is why I've never owned a pair.
Old 04-29-20, 12:13 PM
Ugly Dwarf

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
No experience but Speedplay pedals with a Ti axle have a 180 lb weight limit... which is why I've never owned a pair.
It's been 30+ years since I would have qualified at that weight.

I just bought some Vector 3 pedals. Looking forward to trying them out and will report back if I have any issues.
Old 04-29-20, 02:37 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Ugly Dwarf
It's been 30+ years since I would have qualified at that weight.

I just bought some Vector 3 pedals. Looking forward to trying them out and will report back if I have any issues.
I am curious how you turn out for sure. I have been using a Powertap C1 PM for some time and its getting to end of its life. I have started looking for a replacement solution for 2021. I was looking at pedals and I am Garmin fan for sure but the weight limit surprised me. Can't image why they have it. I was bummed actually.
Old 05-04-20, 03:27 PM
Ugly Dwarf

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I got my pedals at the end of last week. I mounted them up with the help of a friend and his pedal wrench, paired to my phone (Galaxy S10) and my old Garmin Edge 500 (once I revisited the manual), and got out for three rides this weekend for ~70 miles / ~4.5 hours total.

I'm very happy with the results, though I'm only able to figure out how to pull out basic data (No PS, TE, or other detailed metrics - addressing that will happen in another thread, another day). I'd never used "Look" cleats before, but was very pleased at how similar they are to clip into compared to the Shimano SPD-SL. It was nice that this old dog didn't need to learn any new tricks clipping in / out.

Anyone have any ideas of what to look / listen for that might preclude a failure of the pedals due to being 10-20 pounds over the limit? I'd hate for my first indicator to be the pedal snapping off when I'm out of the saddle hammering up a slight hill.
Old 05-04-20, 05:20 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Just work on the smoothness of your pedal stroke is all I'd recommend. If you do tend to "hit" the bottom of the stroke, work on eliminating that. Think of the old example of scraping mud off your shoe. So you pull through the stroke rather than a more up down motion where you have a hit at the bottom of the stroke. If you don't do that, then carry on Columbus and enjoy the mind *****ery that working with power data provides