Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replacment for Dura Ace 7400 headset

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-20, 07:26 PM
Randybb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a nice 80s columbus SL roadbike, with this dura ace 7400 headset that's just been an endless pain in the butt for years. No matter how hard I tighten down the locknut it always works itself loose after just 1 or 2 rides. A couple years ago, no surprise, it finally brinnelled and so I decided to replace the caged bearings with loose balls, which worked for a couple years but now I'm getting indexed steering again. Several times I've spent too long online trying to find a replacement to no avail. I'm not really interested in getting another 7400, given all the trouble I had with it, besides they're absurdly expensive on ebay. But the problem is I can't seem to find a replacement with a similar stack height, which according to velobase is 36.3 mm. When I took it apart a couple years ago I seem to remember confirming this number with a measurement.

It looks like all the new threaded headsets are either >40mm stack height for cartridge bearing models or ~30mm for caged bearing models. I don't need anything that fancy, i'm just looking for something bomb proof that I can install and never have to worry about for many years. Seems like the options these days for 1" threaded headsets are pretty limited, any ideas?
Old 06-14-20, 07:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
I was going to say Chris King as he handles all my Threaded needs but you need a specific stack height and I am unsure what the stack height is.

You might try the IRD Durall Headset I believe that is the closest match I know of.
Old 06-14-20, 08:05 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
This was posted on BF a number of years ago. I can't verify the accuracy, but it should help...

John
Old 06-14-20, 09:56 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Randybb
any ideas?
Learn how to properly adjust a threaded headset before you ruin another nice one.

Or just get a cheap cartridge bearing one.
Old 06-14-20, 10:15 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by FastJake
Learn how to properly adjust a threaded headset before you ruin another nice one.

I had similar problems keeping an Ultegra headset adjusted. I'm not inexperienced either: 41 years since I started working on bikes professionally.

If SanO's chart is accurate, I'd put a Tange Levin headset on the bike and call it a day. It might need an extra washer to be sure the locknut doesn't bottom out but you'll find that out when you put it all together.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 06-14-20, 10:28 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

I actually thought that same thing and checked eBay and saw a few at 33.3mm... but what’s .004”?

John
Old 06-14-20, 11:15 PM
Randybb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

comment from the velobase page: "The 7400 series was and still is the best most bullet proof groupset ever with this headset being the weakest link needing regular checking tends to brindle"

I've had quite a few bikes with threaded headsets over the years, and none have been remotely as problematic as this one.

Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
I had similar problems keeping an Ultegra headset adjusted. I'm not inexperienced either: 41 years since I started working on bikes professionally.

If SanO's chart is accurate, I'd put a Tange Levin headset on the bike and call it a day. It might need an extra washer to be sure the locknut doesn't bottom out but you'll find that out when you put it all together.
I was considering the Levin but I hate fudging it with a washer, but honestly, the bike is not some museum piece, I should be going for function over form. 3mm difference could be worse. thanks!
Old 06-15-20, 12:34 AM
70sSanO

I have a Specialzed Pro headset which has been golden for years. It is still smooth. I know I probably won’t find another. I’m going to pick up a a Chris King Gripnut on of these days for down the road. But at $150, I’ve been putting it off.

John
Old 06-15-20, 06:53 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
The Shimano 7400 headset uses aluminum threaded pieces. I suspect that the threads have been damaged so that it can no longer hold adjustment. A new headset of the same or shorter stack height will fix the problem, and the fretting damage the OP reports as well.