Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVII

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVII

Old 03-18-20, 07:42 PM
sbxx1985 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
So long as they don't get rowdy.
Cinelli and questionable social distancing.

Likes For sbxx1985:
Old 03-18-20, 07:49 PM
sbxx1985 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
wut
A bunch of snow maybe. Three hours of leaves and the sbxx crew is ready.
Old 03-18-20, 08:20 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,729 Times in 2,756 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
On my short ride today I saw this on about every play ground, soccer field and basketball court. I too, don’t understand the point of closing the schools if this is how it is going to continue. My parents are 75 and they are continuing like nothing is happening. My wife and I have told our families due to the nature of my job we will not be seeing anyone until this is over. I spent 6 days in and out of the charlotte airport, I imagine some sick people were still traveling.

I admit I wasn’t taking this to seriously, Being at work and being detached from what is actually happening can have that affect. That being said, now that I have been home, and can actually see that this is more than just toilet paper, not to mention my job is on the line, the faster we can contain this the better it is for everybody.
Bringing the WHOLE family to wait in line at the supermarket.... 1 person goes, leave the rest at home. Growing up, we weren't allowed to use such words as stupid, dumb, or even shut-up. Maybe because I was going to save them up for these times.
Old 03-18-20, 08:21 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,729 Times in 2,756 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadesfire
Not apropos of anything really, but after that absolutely sad attempt (edited cause the censor might explode if I didn't) at a final season of GOT I really wanted to watch something good. Everyone online was talking about Breaking Bad and its awesome and satisfying finale. So I gave it a shot, having never watched a single episode of the show before. Oh my, THAT is how a show is supposed to be developed, written, and ended. And El Camino was almost just as good.
The Wire.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 03-18-20, 09:08 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,985 Times in 4,452 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
I might feel differently if I were retired. But I spend 8-10 hrs a week just on my commute (not now, though, in the days of COVID19) so I don’t enjoy those rides that waste a lot of time. Let’s chitchat while we’re riding. If we’re going to be out for 4 hours let’s ride for 4ish hours. Of course I’ll stop for food, water, restrooms, regroups. But multiple 20 min stops are just not of interest to me.

Im not a very good mtb-er from a skills perspective and I’m very risk averse. I strongly prefer single track over fireroad. But I tend to be more fit than other people who are not very good mtb-ers so I want long intermediate single track MTB rides. So I don’t fit in too well with anyone in the mtb world either. Those rides seem to always be either 10 miles long with lots of fireroad and they take 3 hr. Or they’re 25 miles including lots of challenging single track that is above my pay grade. And I don’t push limits on the mtb much because on a professional level it’s pretty much a disaster if I break a bone.

But honestly I like GGR enough that if it wasn’t for the fact that most ride starts are an hours drive for me, I’d suck it up and ride with them anyway. Frequently I’m even jazzed about the ride and wanting to do it, but when the weekend comes I’ve got too much stuff to do and can’t really make time for a ride that ends at 1pm, I’d get home from at 2pm, and not be showered and fed until 3pm. That’s a lot of time devoted to a bike ride. Wish it were different, but that’s life.
When I was working I spent 8+ hours in the car. When I lived in Pine Mountain after the 94 quake it was about 20 hours. It sucks. I worked for 50 years.

If you get a chance to go to Golden Eagle trail with them, you might enjoy it. The climb is fireroad but the descent is amazing singletrack. Another place is Quartz Hill/Palmdale. Smooth, flowing singletrack all day, no fireroads, nothing technical. I don't know if GGR does that one,but you could get there quick. I think they do Golden Eagle.
Old 03-18-20, 09:12 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11952 Post(s)
Liked 6,600 Times in 3,466 Posts
Originally Posted by sbxx1985
Cinelli and questionable social distancing.

Nicely done.
Old 03-18-20, 09:24 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
When I was working I spent 8+ hours in the car. When I lived in Pine Mountain after the 94 quake it was about 20 hours. It sucks. I worked for 50 years.

If you get a chance to go to Golden Eagle trail with them, you might enjoy it. The climb is fireroad but the descent is amazing singletrack. Another place is Quartz Hill/Palmdale. Smooth, flowing singletrack all day, no fireroads, nothing technical. I don't know if GGR does that one,but you could get there quick. I think they do Golden Eagle.
I’ve ridden Golden Eagle a number of times, it’s a favorite.

Ive gone both up the single track and up the fireroad.

But I haven’t ridden it with GGR. Just with friends from town.
Likes For Heathpack:
Old 03-19-20, 04:01 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10147 Post(s)
Liked 5,840 Times in 3,144 Posts
Day 4 and feeling okay.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 03-19-20, 05:43 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2788 Post(s)
Liked 1,950 Times in 1,206 Posts
Closing the Canadian border. Sad.
told you
Old 03-19-20, 05:43 AM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by LAJ
Why is that sad?
he cant get back home if he needs to.
Old 03-19-20, 05:44 AM
ls01
he said member

I identify as Canadian.
Fft
Old 03-19-20, 06:05 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3348 Post(s)
Liked 3,594 Times in 1,237 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Day 4 and feeling okay.
You've turned yellow...
Old 03-19-20, 06:11 AM
ls01
he said member

So 2 days ago, locally, the co. Had 1 infected employee. Today it 8 , 2 are contractors working on a construction project. Steps are being taken. I hope they are enough.

My brother had been I'll with a severe upper respiratory infection for 2 weeks.
Old 03-19-20, 06:16 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
I noticed a very interesting trend in office visits comparing my office and a sister office a few towns over.

My office is in a college town/county seat, and most patients are college educated/white collar. The sister office is in a post-industrial town (the steel mills are all shut down) and more blue-collar.

Our patients are generally NOT wanting to come in for regular visits, more than half are cancelled. And the patients who are sick don't want to come in and want us to diagnose/treat over the phone. We are seeing VERY few patients in the office.

The sister practice is still quite busy, patients are coming in for physicals/routine office visits and sick visits too. I am guessing that it's a demographic issue. It's good for the sister office economically, but maybe not so good for their population as a whole.

I am trying to convince the majority of my patients to do telehealth visits whenever possible. If in-person necessary (like say a physical) I am willing to see those patients now but also fine to postpone routine annual physicals a few months. I am leaving that decision up to the patients (for now).
Old 03-19-20, 06:17 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Day 4 and feeling okay.
Looks like CDC guidelines are evolving and you may only have to self-quarantine for 7 days. See what your people tell you.
Old 03-19-20, 06:29 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jadesfire
Not apropos of anything really, but after that absolutely sad attempt (edited cause the censor might explode if I didn't) at a final season of GOT I really wanted to watch something good. Everyone online was talking about Breaking Bad and its awesome and satisfying finale. So I gave it a shot, having never watched a single episode of the show before. Oh my, THAT is how a show is supposed to be developed, written, and ended. And El Camino was almost just as good.
I have to check it out.

Last edited by BillyD; 03-19-20 at 06:42 AM.
Old 03-19-20, 06:31 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10960 Post(s)
Liked 4,615 Times in 2,120 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
The Wire.
Never seen an episode, today may be the day.

One of my favorites was the first season of "True Detective" with Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey. Totally freaked me out.

Edit: Just looked up "The Wire" on IMDB and it has a rating of 9.3/10. That has to be worth something.

Last edited by Trsnrtr; 03-19-20 at 06:37 AM.
Old 03-19-20, 06:32 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by abshipp
You've turned yellow...
This ship is flying "Quebec."
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 03-19-20, 06:35 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by datlas
Looks like CDC guidelines are evolving and you may only have to self-quarantine for 7 days. See what your people tell you.
No kidding? I'll have a look. Haven't heard about any local policy changes. My clinical "skills" may be more of a danger to the consult patients than any diseases I am carrying.
Old 03-19-20, 06:36 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by ls01
So 2 days ago, locally, the co. Had 1 infected employee. Today it 8 , 2 are contractors working on a construction project. Steps are being taken. I hope they are enough.

My brother had been I'll with a severe upper respiratory infection for 2 weeks.
Whoa, wish him luck.
Old 03-19-20, 06:37 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

No kidding? I'll have a look. Haven't heard about any local policy changes. My clinical "skills" may be more of a danger to the consult patients than any diseases I am carrying.
I know that CDC says that suspected or confirmed COVID19 patients are allowed to lift self-quarantine/isolation if it's been over 7 days since they got symptoms and have been afebrile for 72 hours without antipyretics.

Your case is different so check with your people.
Old 03-19-20, 06:38 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I noticed a very interesting trend in office visits comparing my office and a sister office a few towns over.

My office is in a college town/county seat, and most patients are college educated/white collar. The sister office is in a post-industrial town (the steel mills are all shut down) and more blue-collar.

Our patients are generally NOT wanting to come in for regular visits, more than half are cancelled. And the patients who are sick don't want to come in and want us to diagnose/treat over the phone. We are seeing VERY few patients in the office.

The sister practice is still quite busy, patients are coming in for physicals/routine office visits and sick visits too. I am guessing that it's a demographic issue. It's good for the sister office economically, but maybe not so good for their population as a whole.

I am trying to convince the majority of my patients to do telehealth visits whenever possible. If in-person necessary (like say a physical) I am willing to see those patients now but also fine to postpone routine annual physicals a few months. I am leaving that decision up to the patients (for now).
White collars are just more panic prone. In general. Blue collars, in general, know how to do for themselves, and rely on that.

Old 03-19-20, 06:40 AM
MoAlpha
• —

I know that CDC says that suspected or confirmed COVID19 patients are allowed to lift self-quarantine/isolation if it's been over 7 days since they got symptoms and have been afebrile for 72 hours without antipyretics.

Your case is different so check with your people.
Ah, that's quite a different matter.
Old 03-19-20, 06:40 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Very interesting. Gives new meaning to the phrase “A mind is a terrible thing to waste “.
Old 03-19-20, 06:45 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10960 Post(s)
Liked 4,615 Times in 2,120 Posts
Heavy thunderstorms all day so my self-distancing options are to install a a new (different) drive line on my gravel bike, start watching the wire, or veg out on the computer replaying Dishonored 1. Also, Doom Eternal was released today. That ought to keep me occupied for a few hours till my eyes start bugging out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.