Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Adventure Biking/Trail Running

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-20, 05:34 PM
Hoffa626

Bikes: Raleigh Supercourse, KHS Urban-X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like to ride 30 miles in one direction on road and trails, then trail run 13 miles, then ride back home another 30 miles. I am trying to trim gear-fat and not have to carry 2 pairs of shoes. One pair of cycling shoes for clip pedals, and one pair of trail running shoes. If I can wear my trail running shoes with platform pedals, then I won't have to bring along another set of shoes. Has anyone had experience doing something like this? I am concerned that 60+ miles will be a bit too much to not have clip pedals and cycling shoes. Any recommendations on a good shoes to run far and cycle in, or pedal recommendations, or any one who's done something similar and knows the advantages of the cycling shoes aren't worth cutting the extra carried gear??? Any easy way to carry the second pair of shoes? Input is appreciated.
Old 05-05-20, 07:03 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
I'm not a runner, but I use flat pedals with pins on all my bikes. I have tried riding with running shoes (New Balance 993) for around 50 miles and they worked, but you could feel the pins after about an hour which got uncomfortable toward the end of the ride.. I went back to hiking shoes (Merrell Moab) which work great due to having a harder sole.

In the end, it's just bike riding, you don't need to special accessories to go on a ride.
Old 05-05-20, 08:03 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,084 Times in 1,180 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoffa626
I like to ride 30 miles in one direction on road and trails, then trail run 13 miles, then ride back home another 30 miles. I am trying to trim gear-fat and not have to carry 2 pairs of shoes. One pair of cycling shoes for clip pedals, and one pair of trail running shoes. If I can wear my trail running shoes with platform pedals, then I won't have to bring along another set of shoes. Has anyone had experience doing something like this? I am concerned that 60+ miles will be a bit too much to not have clip pedals and cycling shoes. Any recommendations on a good shoes to run far and cycle in, or pedal recommendations, or any one who's done something similar and knows the advantages of the cycling shoes aren't worth cutting the extra carried gear??? Any easy way to carry the second pair of shoes? Input is appreciated.
Flats/pinned or clipped in,. what makes the cycling comfortable for 60 miles is going to be a stiff soled shoe. That's not going to be great for running. I'd get a backpacking style under seat bag and carry the running shoes. If this were a one off I'd say use flat pedals and running shoes, but a couple times per week you'll hurt something trying the one shoe approach.
Old 05-05-20, 08:08 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
As mentioned above, I'd store extra pair in bag at the rear.

Those bags tend to weigh around 200gm or so. Maybe consider a suitable size lightweight stuff bag and strap it tight, if you want to cut some ride weight.
Old 05-05-20, 08:12 PM
Hoffa626

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, Steve. I've considered carrying an Ortlieb Pannier that converts to a backpack and run with my road shoes packed in it. That was kinda my last resort cause I'd like to avoid a rear rack, but it's looking more and more like I'm leaning that way to check all the boxes that I'd like to check
Old 05-05-20, 09:50 PM
EGBigelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
I'm not a big fan of rear racks, but what about a frame bag to carry your running shoes in?
Old 05-06-20, 07:19 AM
Hoffa626

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not either, but a frame bag then gets into my hydration and pump, so then those have to be relocated.
Old 05-06-20, 01:04 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,084 Times in 1,180 Posts
I'm not either, but a frame bag then gets into my hydration and pump, so then those have to be relocated.
There are a lot of different sized behind/under the seat bags, or large handle bar bags designed for bike packing. I was thinking on e of those, just large enough for a pair of shoes.

https://www.rei.com/c/saddle-packs?i...7Csaddle-packs

https://www.rei.com/c/handlebar-pack...andlebar-packs
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 05-06-20, 01:29 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I ride and trail run and use my Salomon Speedcross trail runners with ankle gaiters for mtbing with Chester platforms. I love the way the knobby sole sticks to the pinned pedal and the traction I have when I need to maneuver the bike on foot in mud or on steep slopes. The ankle gaiters keep the gravel and dirt out. I use the same setup for bikepacking.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 05-06-20 at 01:35 PM.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 05-09-20, 01:17 AM
Geekage

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
I thought that some trail running shoes have stiffer soles so rocks and stuff aren't poking into your feet. If so they'd able to deal with traction pins and have improved power transfer, at least compared to road running shoes or cross trainers.

Or go old school and use toe clips and straps. Just be aware that sometimes there's a dip between the pedal cages and the pedal body, so the shoe is flexing down there. Or quill pedals poke up into the side of the sole. So you'd need to be careful choosing a pedal and strap combination.
Old 05-09-20, 07:53 AM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
30/13/30? Sounds like a serious day! I would be going pretty chill by that last 30.

Like Geekage says, a lot of trail shoes have a rock plate or some kind of reinforcement that makes them stiff enough to be suitable for cycling. I did a short run/bike/run event on gravel a year or two ago, I want to say 3/15/3 miles, and I used my trail running shoes for everything...they did great; the bike I used had flat pedals with pins...they gripped well. Honestly, I don’t care for being clipped in as much after 3-4 hours...I want to shift my feet around, and it’s nice to not have to be clipped if I’m cramping up.
Old 05-12-20, 08:30 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
I have no idea but consider me impressed.
Old 05-16-20, 08:42 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
If I can wear my trail running shoes with platform pedals, then I won't have to bring along another set of shoes. Has anyone had experience doing something like this?
I'm a former runner but had to give it up because my knees couldn't take the pounding anymore. I started cycling about 2 1/2 years ago but never bought any cycling shoes. I just use my old Nike Air Pegasus shoes with flat petals and have never had an issue. I've done several rides over 50 miles although most of my rides are shorter. In my experience, running shoes work fine for cycling. (Also, my constant knee pain has gone away.)
Likes For Random11:
Old 05-16-20, 09:58 PM
gus6464

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
Wait so if you ride 30 miles to the trail where do you leave the bike while you are running the 13 miles?
Old 06-14-20, 10:20 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
I wear running shoes and flat pedals.
No problems. It's easy. In my opinion cycling shoes are idiotic and add very little to cycling.
You have got the shoes and there are plenty of good cheap pedals so it is easy to try and see if you like it.
Likes For blamester:
Old 07-11-20, 12:56 AM
jgarib

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hoffa- I also like to run/bike, with a bike stash at the end and ride on FS road to the car or vice versa. My partner and I stash my bike gear w/our bikes in the woods so we don't have your issue...and while we run longer than 13m we don't bike 60m as well the same day : ) you probably carry water/food/etc while running...how do you carry that on your bike and can't you just add your trail shoes? Strap your shoes under your saddle rails with 2 Voile straps? If you can't carry trail shoes on the bike, check your local CL or ebay for used Ultimate Direction or similar vests (no belt)- well built, back pocket will carry shoes. Avoid older hydration packs with built in bladders...
Or as my bike guru tells me- want your bike 5 lbs lighter? start with your belly!
Old 07-12-20, 08:24 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by blamester
I wear running shoes and flat pedals.
No problems. It's easy. In my opinion cycling shoes are idiotic and add very little to cycling.
You have got the shoes and there are plenty of good cheap pedals so it is easy to try and see if you like it.
Idiotic? Is that really the word you meant to use?

Last edited by shoota; 07-12-20 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-12-20, 08:28 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by jgarib
Hoffa- I also like to run/bike, with a bike stash at the end and ride on FS road to the car or vice versa. My partner and I stash my bike gear w/our bikes in the woods so we don't have your issue...and while we run longer than 13m we don't bike 60m as well the same day : ) you probably carry water/food/etc while running...how do you carry that on your bike and can't you just add your trail shoes? Strap your shoes under your saddle rails with 2 Voile straps? If you can't carry trail shoes on the bike, check your local CL or ebay for used Ultimate Direction or similar vests (no belt)- well built, back pocket will carry shoes. Avoid older hydration packs with built in bladders...
Or as my bike guru tells me- want your bike 5 lbs lighter? start with your belly!
You should use the "Quote" button to get people's attention on here.

I like some of your points. There is a lake with trail running about 13 miles from me and this thread has always gotten my attention. I like the idea riding -> running -> riding. For several reasons I haven't been able to try it out yet but I'm always soaking up the info until I do. Thank you, and welcome to BF.
Old 07-13-20, 01:49 PM
blamester
Blamester

Originally Posted by shoota
Idiotic? Is that really the word you meant to use?
Yes.
​So the position of your feet is fixed no matter what your position. Is spinning a 39/28 the same as pushing hard head down into a head wind or downhill spinning a 52 /12 or rolling along in 52 /19. I don't think so.
I notice my foot position changes depending on how I am riding.
I'm not talking cms but maybe mms.
Cold feet that get colder as you cycle cos you can't move them.
You can't walk in them.
And if you have only one bike your compromised.
I have tried them and gave them a good go but they are pointless for me and I wouldn't advise anyone to use them.
Fair enough you look like a real cyclist, a fast racer.
I ride a lot almost everyday and have been for over forty years.
Brought up on bmx.
And how exactly are they more efficient. Cos Look said so. And everyone bought them.
Flat flexible trail running shoes are my go to.

​​​​​​
Old 07-13-20, 02:16 PM
fourfa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
you know what, never mind. Don't feed the trolls

Last edited by fourfa; 07-13-20 at 02:47 PM.
Likes For fourfa:
Old 07-13-20, 02:33 PM
blamester
Blamester

Originally Posted by fourfa
Sounds like you had some really crummy bike shoes. Very different experience than I've had. But hey if trail runners are working for you, cheers problem solved
So I needed expensive ones to fix the issues I wrote about above.
Well ain't that just another reason why they are stupid.