Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

CONFUSED - SRAM Centera 4.0 pull ratio

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

CONFUSED - SRAM Centera 4.0 pull ratio

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-20, 06:03 PM
Stroudy 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
[SOLVED] CONFUSED - SRAM Centera 4.0 pull ratio

Where ever I've looked, the SRAM Centera 4.0 rear shifter had a pull ratio of 2:1. Finding an outlet that had it for good price and quick delivery, I now see on the webpage it has a 1:1 pull ratio.

Equally confused by sram's page - You'll have to google - this is my first post 👍
I was expecting a 2:1 to be compatible with my Shimano derailleur

Anyone have any experience with the shifters? I might just try them and see if they work.

Bit of a noob obviously - thank you all

Edit: The right shifter is definitely a shimano 2:1 pull ratio

Last edited by Stroudy; 06-07-20 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Solved
Old 06-06-20, 08:32 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4208 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
SRAM has used their own cable pull ratio since the beginning. But they also make SRAM labeled shifters that are Shimano pull compatible. This stuff is generally well known and which is stated in supplier's listings. As example is the MRX GripShift units which are Shimano pull and the numbered ones that are SRAM pull.

SRAM will say the the greater amount of cable pull is less sensitive to cable friction/grit/dirt. Being marketing smart the make both families of compatibility. Andy
Old 06-06-20, 10:14 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 379 Posts
Is it a "Centera" or a "4.0" derailleur? AFAIK, named derailleurs are Shimano compatible. Numbered derailleurs are SRAM compatible.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 06-06-20, 10:53 PM
Stroudy 

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
Is it a "Centera" or a "4.0" derailleur? AFAIK, named derailleurs are Shimano compatible. Numbered derailleurs are SRAM compatible.
The derailleur is Shimano deore lx

Thanks for your reply
Old 06-06-20, 11:02 PM
Stroudy 

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
SRAM has used their own cable pull ratio since the beginning. But they also make SRAM labeled shifters that are Shimano pull compatible. This stuff is generally well known and which is stated in supplier's listings. As example is the MRX GripShift units which are Shimano pull and the numbered ones that are SRAM pull.

SRAM will say the the greater amount of cable pull is less sensitive to cable friction/grit/dirt. Being marketing smart the make both families of compatibility. Andy
With the exception of the one eBay listing (the one I used &#128076 all listings on every cycle store that sells the Centerer 4.0 shifters say its Shimano compatible.

I Think I'm probably gonna have to try the shifter to be sure.
Old 06-07-20, 12:19 PM
Stroudy 

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well, I can safely say that the SRAM Centera grip shifters are Shimano compatible!

Shifting like a dream on my birthday 6 speed and will hopefully upgrade to 8 if I can work out a new wheel spacing that will accommodate the freewheel